Talk:Naruto: Shinobi (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Core Rules and Major Changes
Recently since Reference left the page for a while, we've noticed some editors changing major and core things in the class that might flip it all around and ruin campaigns. For example, recently someone, i don't know who changed the number of Jutsus that can be gained though that was reversed back to normal. We ask that any major changes to the class be discussed with others first, preferably here before being implemented, so ongoing campaigns don't get ruined because of these changes being out of place or wrong. P@uL (talk) 11:18, 18 May 2021 (MDT)
I'm currently considering converting the various Hashirama's Cells feats and boons into a path (tentatively named "Path of Vitality"). H-Cells don't really fit the idea of a feat, since it's not really a skill that you train, and implantable paths are already the go-to system for growing one's mastery of a genetic ability, making the boons a bit of a standout. The only problem I can think this may cause (beyond giving me a headache fixing character sheets, I still haven't fixed all the Uchiha's genjutsu) is that it would further imbalance the ratio of dojutsu to non-dojutsu implantable paths to 6/9, but that could be easily solved with more info on the Jogan, Isshiki's Dojutsu (I've heard "Dharmagan" thrown around a bit, could work Shinjutsu in with it), or Senrigan (maybe roll Yome's dojutsu into it).--Ref3rence (talk) 17:20, 9 January 2023 (MST)
I have created a mockup here. Wood Style itself could be merged into Path of Vitality Unique Jutsu, since they're unique to Hashirama and people with his cells, making the separation between Mud Style and Wood Style more clear-cut. It also occurred to me that the 6/9 balance could be solved by splitting implantable into Dojutsu/Vessel/DNA paths, leaving us with a 6/5/4 ratio after Vitality is introduced, though I'd want another opinion before going through with it.--Ref3rence (talk) 20:54, 9 January 2023 (MST)
Think anything isn't how it should be? Is something worded confusingly? Bring it up here! --Ref3rence (talk) 10:24, 20 November 2020 (MST)
Please be sure to check the 4th archive to the right before asking. CTRL + F works wonders. --Ref3rence (talk) 12:18, 27 January 2021 (MST)
When having affinty in fuinjutsu and some of them having saving throws to restrain them do you roll and results incress the DC? Or it only effects with the ones that do damage? -Ren
- Affinity only affects damage, since a potential +16 to a jutsu's DC would be insane.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:10, 6 March 2022 (MST)
Is it possable to take taijutsu and basic ninjutsu? -RenBimu
- Basic Ninjutsu and Taijutsu can be taken like any other nature, the only restriction is at 2nd level so a player doesn't take two elemental natures on a single level to limit when Kekkei Genkai can be gained.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:59, 7 March 2022 (MST)
I was honesty to impatient to read where was best to put this so here is my question. Is nature affinity additional unarmed per hit on a jutsu or per jutsu? Because with specialisation and affinity in lightning or wind, a level 3 or 4 character could be putting out 90+ damage with a one chakra jutsu (ie. sand buckshot or lightning ball with masterful chakra control). That is kinda super wack, like sets a clear meta.
- The intent of affinity is that it only applies once per jutsu, but getting the wording exactly right is kinda difficult. Sooner or later, I might just rewrite the chakra feature to make more sense.--Ref3rence (talk) 09:49, 2 December 2021 (MST)
I DM a pure Naruto campaign and there have been numerous discussions on how Substitution Jutsu works. I know the wording states "when hit by an attack..." which for me translates to being hit by an attack roll. However, my players have argued the point that jutsu that have a saving throw, such as Thunderbolt, counts as being "hit" and can use Substitution Jutsu to avoid it. I feel that using it that way is wildly overpowered. Should Substitution Jutsu only be applicable when hit by an attack that uses an attack roll? -CleverNot, 3:09, 8 August 2022.
- You must be hit by an attack roll, otherwise it would be overpowered as you said, and it would make Orochimaru Style Substitution and numerous other reactions useless.--Ref3rence (talk) 14:04, 9 August 2022 (MDT)
Hey, i was wondering since there is a jinchuriki race, would i be allowed to put my Otsutsuki along with it? I would like to ask before doing so to see if i would have to make alterations before putting it there.-(Xandelicious)
- Sorry for the delay. The jinchuriki race is more of a remnant of an older version than anything. I suppose it wouldn’t be the worst thing once the race is completed given the setting already has its own race alternative. That being said, pretty much anything that would make an Otsutsuki unique is already adapted somewhere in this class, so I’m unsure there is room for it.--Ref3rence (talk) 12:05, 14 August 2022 (MDT)
Is there a Statblock for the human Araya?- Plague
I have a question about a jutsu of the "Steel Release". The name of the jutsu is "Quarantine Wall" and the question is about the increase in life, where the following is quoted: "You may increase the wall's hit point by spending half as many of chakra points." I didn't understand how much chakra I need to spend, and how much life would increase to the wall, with each increase, if it can increase more than once.
How the Datara change to the stage one, to two and three?
- As stated in the Forms header, it's based on how many Tailed Beasts it has absorbed. To what extent is ultimately up to the DM.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:17, 19 November 2022 (MST)
Another question is about Hashirama, Jiraiya and Kashin Koji, Tha don't need to become prone and blind to enter in the Sage mode. Is there any feat that allows this? The only thing I know, is about becoming jinchuuriki of the ten tails, which allows you to get Natural Energy with a bonus action.
- I have added a handful of alternate features to account for Hashirama, Minato, and Koji, but Jiraiya uses Sage Art: Amphibian Technique to achieve this effect.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:17, 19 November 2022 (MST)
If I have the "Six Paths Power" and the "Otsutski" Boons, could I spend 2 points of normal chakra, to turn into 100 points of otsutsuki chakra? Or only 1 to 50?
- Unless you have the Six Paths Power boon more than once, your Six Paths chakra maximum is 50, so you can only spend 1 chakra to regain 50 Six Paths chakra, and can not have more than 50 Six Paths chakra at a time. If you had 4 Six Paths Power boons (200 Six Paths chakra), you would spend 1 chakra point to regain 200 Six Paths chakra.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:17, 19 November 2022 (MST)
I feel like the otsutski boon is a little op isn't it? With it you have 50 times how ever much normal chakra you have. Which feels a little nuts. Maybe have it more like senjutsu. You can spend shinobi level plus int modifyer chakra for twice as much 6 paths chakra.
- While I get where you're coming from, boons exist outside of normal gameplay. Players can't gain them by leveling, and the Otsutsuki boon specifically is practically impossible to justify gaining outside of the DM deliberately giving it to the player, unlike boons like Rinnegan Manifestation or EMS. Beyond that, while I'm usually not a fan of "but the lore", the Otsutsuki are defined by their naturally near-endless chakra supply that is only further bolstered by dozens to hundreds of Chakra Fruit, so to me this is a better solution that giving Otsutsuki thousands of chakra points. That all being said, I could see about increasing its cost from 1 to 5, which feels like it splits the difference.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:53, 17 January 2023 (MST)
That's fair, but in that case shouldn't there be another way to regain 6 paths chakra? As it is its essentially just a feat you get so you can get other feats since there is no other way to recover it than that boon. Also kind of unrelated, but I feel like sharingan should just get plus int mod to AC and then just the other stuff at 7 and 10 rather than just +1 +1 +1. And I feel it's kind of weird that the feat for fast hand seals let's you use jutsu as a bonus action, but the one that lets you skip handseals alltogether doesn't. I think the making someone else do seals thing should be something seperate.
- Six Paths Power is a boon not a feat, but that's on me for wonky wording and has been corrected. The fact that Six Paths Power chakra can't be regained normally is intended as a matter of DM control. If a DM wants to grant players a big powerup for the BBEG, but not have the powerup last forever like a typical boon or extra levels would, it gives hard boundaries for when it's lost. This is also based on how Naruto seeming loses SPSM after Shippuden (whether or not he actually loses it is a different discussion, either is reasonable). As for the sharingan, a potential +5 bonus to AC would be a bit much, especially at 3rd level, and especially on a subclass already this strong; the +3 across 3 early features is already pushing it. As for the seals feats, I've combined the two (with some modifications for balance), since both covered the same idea.--Ref3rence (talk) 23:38, 18 January 2023 (MST)
For the sharingan maybe increase the chakra cost to compensate? The halfing of 1 rounded down makes it free once you get sharingan mastery. maybe make activation cost 3 and maintenance cost 2 per round in combat, but outside of combat the starting cost keeps it active for an hour since you don't have to use it as extensively. That just feels more accurate, the sharingan is super powerful, but is not cheap to maintain. especially at early levels. Also feel like resistant should just be replaced with evasion. In theory shinobi are supposed to avoid being hit not tank the hits. I am aware that that isn't always the case in Naruto, but still.
- While the sharingan isn't cheep to maintain for characters like Kakashi, Sasuke is never shown struggling to maintain his sharingan in part 1, and we see Itachi have it active effectively every time we see him, thus Mangekyō is used as the point at which it can be indefinitely maintained without implantation, and implantation causes a higher maintenance cost. If we make activation 3 and maintenance 2, a 3rd level player who maximized their chakra would be spending half of their maximum chakra (11) for a single round. Even Chunin Exams Sasuke would be spending 1/3 of his chakra for a single round, and wouldn't be able to cast a single chidori after 2. While the sharingan is super powerful, 3-tomoe is supposed to be equal to the Byakugan and inferior to Initial Release, and I can't imagine putting it much higher than other 10th level features like a fully-developed Second Stage Cursed Mark or near-Jiraiya-level Sage Mode.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:10, 19 January 2023 (MST)
Is it possible to use the jutsu "creation of all things" to create some Doujutsu? (if you can't, what if you spend using an Epic Boon?)
- There is no jutsu that creates dojutsu, and there's no boon to make Creation of All Things do so.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:17, 19 November 2022 (MST)
If my character has both Rinnegan and Tenseigan, could he use the six paths with the Tenseigan?
- Not entirely sure what you mean. You can use the Tenseigan Deva Path while your Rinnegan's Deva Path is on cooldown due to using different terminology. If you mean specifically Rinne Six Paths, I have added wording to give your paths any other dojutsu you have, similarly to Obito's Six Paths.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:17, 19 November 2022 (MST)
Regarding the Path of the Cursed subclass, under the Aquatic Curse the text states; "You gain a swimming speed equal to double your movement speed. . .When you make an unarmed strike, you may spend 1 chakra to fire a barrage of scales, granting it a range equal to your movement speed." Does your swimming speed equal twice your highest stated/given movement speed or your just your walking speed? Can the user attack with the barrage of scales more than one unarmed strike per turn? After spending 1 chakra on the first unarmed strike, does that one spent chakra effect the rest of the user's unarmed strikes that turn making them ranged or are you required to use 1 additional chakra for each unarmed strike? Does the range of the unarmed strike refer to your movement speed as the speed you are currently using or the highest of your stated/given movement speeds? Would the range of the unarmed strike increase after taking the Dash Action? (Initial walking speed of 50ft, activate Dash for 100ft, now the user can move 100ft and can "punch" an additional 100ft) Would you have disadvantage using the barrage of scales if a hostile creature within 5ft of you were present? If not, wouldn't it rather be an increase in reach than range? (Bugbear go brrrr) Though that covers everything I can think of about the Aquatic Curse, I also wanted to bring up that under the "Path of the Cursed Unique Jutsu" section - both "Cellular Regeneration Ejection" and "Cellular Regeneration Absorption" state neither a duration nor does ejection have a given range and Absorption also raises the question on if having the Aquatic Curse allows you to leech hp from large distances as your attacks are still considered unarmed strikes. Sorry about the wall of text a lot happened in the last few sessions.--Windslinger8 (talk) 17:15, 21 November 2022 (MST)
- In 5e’s general mechanics, movement speed generally refers to your walking speed. The scales effect can be used on any unarmed strike you make and only lasts for that unarmed strike, if it affected every unarmed strike for a turn or could only be used once per turn there’d be wording for that. The Dash action grants additional “movement” but does not specifically increase your “movement speed”, so this effect’s range wouldn’t change. Since it’s a ranged attack you would have disadvantage against creatures within 5 ft., but why would you spend chakra to grant yourself disadvantage? The Cellular Regeneration jutsu have been fixed.—Ref3rence (talk) 10:05, 24 November 2022 (MST)
- "Since it’s a ranged attack you would have disadvantage against creatures within 5 ft., but why would you spend chakra to grant yourself disadvantage?" It's more of a question on if whether or not you can attack a retreating target (starting outside your range) with an enemy in your 5 ft range without receiving disadvantage, and I wasn't quite sure if the Aquatic Curse at the time of writing my original question was Canonical or Fan-made. Though I did recently find out about the filler episode (#170) debuting the Kaima Form which after seeing it in action does clear things up as well. I also wanted to ask if a subclass's Unique Jutsu - if unlisted as a specific chakra nature - defaults to any of the basic chakra natures or something akin to the subclass having it's own nature? --Windslinger8 (talk) 15:24, 24 November 2022 (MST)
In the crystal style are missing some jutsus from Guren. For example, the jutsu "Crystal Armor", which she shows against Tenten and Rock Lee, using both defense and attack. Another is the jutsu of the giant shurikens and shurikens, which has only on the giant, but claims to be just a normal shurikens, and she creates her own shurikens like anything else from her jutsu. She probably has some slashing bonuses, because she's surprised by the Defense of Three Caldas. It also lacks the jutsu that it freezes living beings, as froze Hinata and the insects of the Shino. - Crystal Prison (kesshou gokakurou - Shuishou Rou - Hanahirake, Shouton, Shuisou Meikyuu - Telescope Technique
- Guren’s shuriken at least are adapted as the Giant Hexagonal Weapon jutsu in order to allow for more than just shuriken. Crimson Fruit and Crystal Encampment Wall are intended to act as a Crystal Prison with more versatility, but I can see about adding more jutsu in a few days, as unfortunately I am in a place where I can not make large edits (particularly things like formatting full features and jutsu).—Ref3rence (talk) 05:55, 25 November 2022 (MST)
- Telescope Technique is already part of Yin Style (Shinobi World Supplement).--Ref3rence (talk) 18:06, 29 November 2022 (MST)
So if you use advanced training to get to sage path to the 10th level feature, and then use perfect chakra thief to get the 15th level do you actually get the feature, even though Chakra thief says you don't get any abilities to create the special chakra.
- Only features gained from Perfect Chakra Thief lack the ability to gain the path's special chakra, so while you'd still be able to meditate as outlined in Partial Sage Mode, Passive Meditation was gained from Perfect Chakra Thief and thus would not function.--Ref3rence (talk) 16:41, 19 January 2023 (MST)
For funds you mean 5d4 times 10 right?--Azura (talk) 15:58, 26 January 2023 (MST)
- I'm not sure where you're getting that, it's just 5d4 gp, which would be 5-14-20 gp. Looking at it, that does put it a little under starting equipment (35.5 gp), but that's still comparable to a figher's 50-140-200 vs 195 gp. That being said, I might double it to fully get the ratios right.--Ref3rence (talk) 18:59, 26 January 2023 (MST)
In the players handbook under starting wealth by class the lowest one is barbarian, which is 2d4x10 gold pieces, while the highest ones like paladin are 5d4 x 10gp. Only used if you don't get any starting equipment. So gp from class and background are ignored. Fighters also get 5d4 x 10gp--Azura (talk) 19:39, 26 January 2023 (MST)
So I'm not entirely clear on what the 2 different dice things are for the martial arts. If it's a choice than 4d4 is way better than 1d8. Nvm, I figured it out.
So does the resistant feature line count as resistance against an onyx jutsu?
- It does not. In that feature, "resistance" refers to 5e's resistance mechanic, rather than the Resistant feature.--Ref3rence (talk) 08:37, 29 January 2023 (MST)
Didn't think so, Kaguya is a beast. Which is totally fair, but those truth seeking orb absorbing damage is a pain. On that note if a jutsu uses senjutsu does it count as senjutsu or only if it's cast as a sage art?--Azura (talk) 11:23, 29 January 2023 (MST)
- As long as the jutsu uses senjutsu, it ignores immunity from Six Paths Senjutsu.--Ref3rence (talk) 17:12, 29 January 2023 (MST)
With the ten tails variant rule, if i got 29+ on a saving throw would i also get the previous features of that saving throw, for example with the constitution saving throw, would i just get the boons or would I also be level 20 in path of the beast?--Johnjustjohn (talk) 10:47, 4 February 2023 (MST)
With the ten tails variant rule, it feels like the charisma saving throw is more of a debuff than a buff, you already need to be level 20 with path of exalted for ten tails coffin seal so everything but the last feature won't benefit you, then if you have a sharingan you lose the ability to use susanoo, the path of hatred's capstone ability.--Johnjustjohn (talk) 13:38, 17 February 2023 (MST)
- I've removed the Susano'o restriction from <29, but the other restrictions are mostly for canon accuracy. Obito can't use Kamui or his Rinnegan abilities, while one-eyed Madara can't use Susano'o.--Ref3rence (talk) 12:25, 18 February 2023 (MST)
As per the editing guide, feel free to add any jutsu/path/etc that you wish to see implemented, though it may or may not be edited. If you don’t know how to write what you want in game terms, feel free to request it here. --Ref3rence (talk) 10:03, 11 July 2019 (MDT)
- also so do you want us to put Homebrew jutsus here because we can't edit the page I'm asking for one of my players who wants to share some of theirs
That would be perfectly acceptable. -Ref3rence (talk) 19:11, 26 November 2019 (MST)
- Also can we also make requests for jutsus that involve with the whole team combining jutsus? If so I have a few ideas RenBimu
You can suggest anything, but a lot of team jutsu are simply ninja using certain jutsu at the same time, such as the Ino-Shika-Cho formation, so be sure to avoid those ones specifically. --Ref3rence (talk) 20:45, 11 May 2020 (MDT)
A subclass based around shurikenjutsu
A booby trap subclass
- Sorry, I had to take a break from editing for a bit. A trap based subclass would be interesting, but may end up being worked into a puppet subclass. --Ref3rence (talk) 15:33, 26 July 2019 (MDT)
can we have a section for gadgets for the puppet Master class just to give them more variety like what I don't know a spiked sword or trapping system for its own way to shoot darts
Double Human Bullet Tank
- Double Human Bullet Tank is simply 2 people using Human Bullet Tank so I have not adapted it.-Ref3rence (talk) 06:30, 20 January 2020 (MST)
Earth Release: Rock Shuriken
- I’ve added a handful of the requested jutsu. Rock shuriken was not added as one can simply use shuriken shadow clone or rock weapon and simply call it rock shuriken. -Ref3rence (talk) 07:27, 4 March 2020 (MST)
Wind Release: Wind Cutter Technique.
- I don't see a mechanical difference between Wind Cutter and Great Sickle Weasel. -Ref3rence (talk) 06:32, 7 March 2020 (MST)
Is there any possibility of a Sand style or something similar to what Gaara does? The closest I can see trying get it is using Earth style and stylizing it as sand.
- You are correct. The closest thing to a “Sand Style” is flavoring Earth Style, Magnet Style, a handful of Wind Style Unique Jutsu, and Path of Permanence features. -Ref3rence (talk) 21:05, 20 April 2020 (MDT)
Okay sorry didn't see that thanks. Can you also add wind style great breakthrough?
- I can't really think of a way to differentiate it from the other wind style jutsu, but I might come back to it. --Ref3rence (talk) 21:02, 3 July 2020 (MDT)
Could you add twin lightning blades if that is canon, but something along those lines. If that makes sense lol-D
- I've thought about a good way to adapt double raikiri/double rasengan, but I haven't come up with a good way to do it. The easy answer is to make a jutsu with the same effects twice, but that seems to restrictive. Meanwhile, making a boon to allow for twin jutsu would require marking every jutsu individually as one- or two-handed. I'm sure I'll figure something out, or just buckle and do one of the options I mentioned, but we'll see. --Ref3rence (talk) 09:43, 12 July 2020 (MDT)
Okay thanks and sorry if it is to much extra work. I was also wondering if there is some way to like grapple or able to move sand like gaara does? If that makes any sense? Lol-D
- No worries. Gaara's sand coffin was adapted into the Path of Permanence's Elemental Coffin feature. --Ref3rence (talk) 18:31, 16 July 2020 (MDT)
Yeah I know, I'm not trying to sound mean or rude, I was meaning something like gaara vs sasuke kage summit fight if I'm remembering right. It could be the game version, but gaara was using his sand I guess more like extra limbs like an octopus if that makes any sense lol. Sorry if this is super confusing lol-D Spiked Human Bullet Tank
- Sealing Technique: Spirit Sealing
- I have no idea how to adapt Spirit Sealing without making it equal in power to a legendary item like the Kohaku no Johei. --Ref3rence (talk) 18:28, 25 November 2020 (MST)
 And  Like so? Plenty of material to adapt off of. Sykon (talk) 22:14, 26 December 2020 (MST)
Is there gonna be a variant rule regarding Obito supposedly not being able to handle more than 1 Rinnegan?
- Obito's ability to control his rinnegan has always been super vague to the point that there's no actual effects to base rules off of.-Ref3rence (talk) 17:43, 28 March 2021 (MDT)
One Thousand Years Of Death?
- You position your fingers in a way that can cause a creature “great pain” and thrust it against them, make a spell attack, on a hit the creature takes 1d6 + Strength Mod, the DC increases by 2d6 for every size above Medium and is reduced to a D4 if the creature is tiny
- You can also use simple melee weapons in tandem with this Jutsu and add the weapon’s damage with the Jutsu’s
- I'm very unsure of adding this jutsu. Why is the DC increasing with size on a jutsu that doesn't have a saving throw? If you meant damage, that still doesn't make much sense. The closest way I could see this working is as a taijutsu variant of the already-adapted Sexy Jutsu with a range of touch and an attack roll instead of a saving throw, but even then I'd have to think on it.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:41, 16 April 2021 (MDT)
- I'm pretty sure they meant that the damage increases. --FrickyDiBoop (talk) 02:37, 17 April 2021 (MDT)
Oof prolly should’ve worded it out better but here’s an example,
Tiny Creatures using this jutsu have a damage die of a d4
Medium Creatures have a d6
Large Creatures have 3d6
And so on and so forth
The main reason I made the damage dice increase per size is because of the 𝘴𝘪𝘻𝘦 of the hands being used to attack
- But why would this apply to this jutsu, but not a regular unarmed strike? And why wouldn't this just be an unarmed strike with an additional temporary effect?--Ref3rence (talk) 09:15, 17 April 2021 (MDT)
Fair enough I guess, the only thing that sets this Taijutsu different from others is that you can use it along with a simple weapon (as shown with Naruto against Gaara)
I know this may sound stupid, but i was wondering if we could add an extra chakra optional rule based off of ninjas like jiraya or deidara. i doubt that jiraya could summon the equivalent of 3 gamabuntas (the "clumsy" frog and fukasaku and shima) and still be able to fight pain with epic jutsus with the current chakra limit. maybe we could multiply the chakra by two again for the optional rule. Plywood tank (talk) 19:23, 30 April 2021 (MDT)
I think the Jiraiya Clan Boon and Cooperation Jutsu Variant rule can pretty much explain on how Jiraiya’s able to summon toads and continue to cast Jutsus with them. Plus I think average Chakra costs are pretty fair since we’ve got tons of Feats (Masterful Chakra Control,Overflowing Chakra,etc) and Boons (Improved Hashirama Cells,Ashura’s Reincarnation,etc) that add to the chakra cost. Because an average Shinobi has nowhere near the same amount of chakra as people like Naruto, take a look at Jonins like Kakashi,Asuma and Konohamaru, they don’t spam jutsus since it would be chakra-wasting and only use 1-3 jutsus during full fights on average, the rest are just unarmed strikes. That being said, it’s all up to Ref3rence if the chakra maximum were to be increased I guess --Bobert (talk) 08:15, 1 May 2021 (MDT)
- As Bobert stated above, it just wouldn't make sense for every character to have ridiculous levels of chakra. Jiraiya can easily be represented using the Jiraiya Clan Boon and Cooperation Jutsu, while Deidara can be represented using the Iwagakure Kinjutsu boon, and there's numerous ways to increase your maximum chakra without arbitrarily doubling it.--Ref3rence (talk) 08:45, 1 May 2021 (MDT)
Hey ref3 this is killshot300 idk if you remember me but I'm just here to thank you and to show my thanks for making this class still going. i still remember when the class was like 5 justus only for the basic natures and I kept bothering you for new things and thanks for everything- killshot
- Hey, man! Thanks, that means a lot, I really hope you're doing well. The work of other users on this page really can't be understated, though. This class couldn't've become how it is today without the work of every person who's edited this page, including you.--Ref3rence (talk) 12:51, 3 May 2021 (MDT)
No problem I also saw that there was a origami jutsu in path of exalted but basically nothing in path of Shikigami which seems to be in desperate need of jutsu and options.
- Origami Replacement Technique is one of Urashiki's Rinnegan abilities. As for Path of the Shikigami, that's mostly because Konan doesn't use all that many jutsu outside of the ones that were converted into path features. There are 1 or 2 we have yet to add, but I'm currently working on another project. --Ref3rence (talk) 09:33, 5 November 2021 (MDT)
Would it be possible to get a more generic taijutsu subclass not based around the inner gates?
- The Path of Specialization was intended to cover specialization into any particular nature, and features like Specialized Chakra fit surprisingly well when paired with Taijutsu. Other than that, Assassin or Adequacy would be the best subclasses for specializing into generic Taijutsu. If you can think of a way to make generic Taijutsu specialization unique, I'm all ears, but I personally think we have plenty to work with as is.--Ref3rence (talk) 23:07, 10 November 2021 (MST)
- Gotcha. Thanks for the reply!
I was wondering if the feat "uzumaki clan" could be done in a way that focused on fuinjutsu and summoning jutsus since the uzumaki clan was known for that in the series, I was also wondering if the "way of the mind" could have an ability to see memories as in the series, a greeting :D
- The Uzumaki clan's fuinjutsu was Hiden, whereas their high chakra reserves are a fundamental part of Uzumaki biology, so a fuinjutsu-based clan boon should be for a separate clan. As for the ability to see memories, more than just the Yamanaka clan has such a jutsu, so such a thing would more likely be a genjutsu than a class feature. That all being said, I am working on these alternatives.--Ref3rence (talk) 20:20, 11 November 2021 (MST)
Clan uzumaki Could the Uzumaki clan have advantages to sealing jutsus? in kishimoto's data guide it says they were stamp experts--—The preceding unsigned comment was added by Maicol (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- As per above, their Fuinjutsu expertise was clan Hiden, not a kekkei genkai. While some clan boons do grant Hiden (i.e. the Ino-Shika-Cho clans), KG benefits like the Uzumaki clan's strong chakra and vitality always come before Hiden, and adding full advantage on all Fuinjutsu, especially on top of its current benefits, would be unbalanced to say the least. If you would like a Fuinjutsu-specific clan boon, please see the Bunpuku clan.--Ref3rence (talk) 10:13, 22 November 2021 (MST)
Lightning Barrel, Sealing Tag Barrier, Secret Technique: Insect Bog.
- I see a lot of really good things here, thanks! For future reference, please be sure to fully check if something has been adapted before requesting it (which can be done pretty easily by for jutsu by putting the class before the jutsu name when searching). By the looks of it, Sealing Tag Barrier (and Sealing Tags as a whole) have mostly been adapted as Paralysis Seal. Insect Bog seems a bit too similar to Insect Sphere.--Ref3rence (talk) 14:53, 17 December 2021 (MST)
Mind's Eye of the Kagura, Wind Release: Flag Current, Umbrella, Ninja Info Cards, Tsurukame, Petrification Gauntlet, Tenseigan (Energy Vessel), Binding Cloth, Injection Shot, ice Bomb, Sealing Arm Braces, Manipulated Tools: Ten Thousand Wild Heavenly Blade, May Rain Blood River sorry again if to musch-killshot
- Thanks for all the suggestions. Minds Eye of the Kagura has been adapted as the Sensor Nin feat.--Ref3rence (talk) 22:04, 19 December 2021 (MST)
Hiding in Shadow Technique, Toad Flatness — Shadow Manipulation Technique, Hiding in a Toad Technique, Reverse Summoning Technique, Demonic Flute, Fangs of Lightning
I was wondering about creating a separate page for homebrewed content relevant to this homebrew which wouldn't interefere or confuse with the context that comes straight from the anime? I know my friends and I have some interesting ideas for dojutsu and etc but I wouldn't want to mix it in with the ninja paths that come from the anime; they should be separate. Janderion (talk) 15:06, 31 March 2022 (MDT)
- There absolutely should be a place for homebrew paths, since homebrew jutsu are already added, but I don't think a whole separate page would be necessary. I've added a subheader beneath the canon paths, though it's commented out at the moment. Once your path(s) is/are complete, you should be able to remove the comments and slightly modify the link beneath it, or let me know here and I can do that for you.--Ref3rence (talk) 21:06, 31 March 2022 (MDT)
Basically there could be an addition to the puppet master where you are able to custom build your own puppets, like with different features you could apply to them instead of just using some vanilla creatures Statblocks that don't really have any puppet gadgets and whatnot. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by DaddyPlague (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- The setting's bestiary has a section for puppets meant to work with the Path of the Puppetmaster's header design note level option that I'm sure you could take inspiration from to build your own. As far as adding gadgets though, I'd say the path's unique jutsu do well enough.--Ref3rence (talk) 09:34, 6 August 2022 (MDT)
So could there be additions to the bestiary that are different variants of the type of salamander that Ibuse is? Like juveniles and half grown ones.
could you add the third kazekage puppet, like one that has the stuff like the Thousand Arm Manipulation Force, and the sword arm thing and whatnot.
- After thinking on it for a while, I'm not sure. Thousand Hands Manipulation Force seems like it would work better as a jutsu,
I feel like there should before options and maybe some jutsu in path of the puppetmaster that is focused around poisons, since that is a big part of puppetry in naruto, and it is kind of inconvenient to have to gestalt path into path of the assassin just for Poisonous Claw Excretion. For example, maybe a puppet master could have a number of poison formulas equal to their proficiency bonus, and there could be a list of some basic poisons? - Plague
- Any player can always just buy/craft poisons, it's a core part of 5e. Poisonous Claw Excretion doesn't grant nearly the kind of poison Sasori uses. That being said, I might add a third 15th level option for Path of the Puppetmaster to accelerate the process of crafting poisons.--Ref3rence (talk) 19:35, 16 August 2022
I do get that, but I was more talking about some unique types, for instance, something similar to mages bane, which makes it so that the victim had some sort of penalty to chakra, or something along those lines. Although I do appreciate you being so quick to respond about this and the kazekage puppet and whatnot. I do think that it should at least get something like Poisonous claw excretion.
Could you maybe add Mukades puppets and puppet form? Also, maybe something like that celestial prison jutsu from one of the math to movies
- Celestial Prison is already added under Fire Style, though I might move it to Chakra Absorbing to make it a bit stronger and more difficult to get.--Ref3rence (talk) 23:00, 18 August 2022 (MDT)
So maybe there could be a section with Fuinjutsu and chakra absorption jutsu that is all of the non path specific Bukijutsu, or it could just be there with basic ninjutsu and taijutsu, while removing the bukijutsu from taijutsu?--(Plague) 20:43, 21 August 2022 (MDT)
Hanabi Style: Revolving Heaven, Gentle Fist Art One Blow Body, Gentle Step Twin Palms, Gentle Fist: Tenketsu Needle, Ice Release: One Horned White Whale, Ice Release: Tearing Dragon Fierce Tiger, Ice Release: Swallow Snow Storm, Genjutsu: Unknown Fire, Genjutsu: Mirage, Cactus Genjutsu, Gospel of the Angel, Zero-Tails Sealing Technique
- I can't find any difference between Hanabi Style and normal Rotation, Chakra Needle is already part of Path of Sight, Swallow Snow Storm is already under Ice Style, Gospel of the Angel is already a Path of the Shikigami unique jutsu.--Ref3rence (talk) 16:16, 5 November 2022 (MDT)
So 2 things. One I love the advanced training feature, it has always bothered me that no uchiha's ever learned sage mode without 10 tails bs. Second I feel like shinobi can cast jutsu they don't have a natural affinity for, so I think you should be able to use non kekai genkai jutsu you don't have the nature for just with an additional chakra cost.
- In order to cast a jutsu, you still need to know how to mold chakra into its nature, so you'd still need to gain its chakra nature. Natural affinity is represented under Chakra Nature Alternatives. I'm not sure I like the idea of players being able to have access to every basic jutsu as long as they have enough chakra, since that would definitely make high-chakra builds the main/only way to build a strong shinobi.--Ref3rence (talk) 16:41, 19 January 2023 (MST)
I disagree, spending twice as much chakra to deal fire damage instead of lightning damage is almost never going to be worth it for combat, this was more for outside of combat. Like even a shinobi who doesn't have much skill with fire could probably start a fire, and I feel like they could use the jutsu, just without the necessary practice a lot of chakra goes to waste. Actually why not add that as part of the narrative jutsu. They can't focus enough in the middle of combat to do it, but outside of combat with time to focus and make sure they don't mess up the hand seals.
- It would probably fit better as an optional rule. We never see something like this in canon to my knowledge, and it only makes each player in a party with multiple shinobi feel less unique, but I guess if we're fully doubling cost it probably wouldn't be unbalanced.--Ref3rence (talk) 18:14, 19 January 2023 (MST)
I think of it like when we see people learning jutsu as long as they get the hand seals right something happens. Even if it's this really pathetic looking version of the jutsu. So in theory if you pumped enough chakra into it it would look close enough to the real thing.--Azura (talk) 20:59, 19 January 2023 (MST)
- This has been added as an optional rule. I also used the wording of the new rule to revamp Cooperation Jutsu, since I've never liked the old wording, even when I was writing it.--Ref3rence (talk) 16:04, 24 January 2023 (MST)
So it feels odd that affinity for a nature doesn't do anything for saves, or duration type jutsu. I feel like it should add a +1 to spell Dc, and maybe plus 1/4th duration. Never more than 1 of those on a single jutsu though.
- I've been wanting to change Affinity to +1 to DC, attack, and damage rolls for a while now, but it has always seemed like it would be an actual nightmare to change (for reference, there's currently almost 600 creatures in the Shinobi World setting, and even just assuming half have Affinity in ~5 jutsu on their page...). No time like the present to start with the new rules though I suppose.--Ref3rence (talk) 18:59, 26 January 2023 (MST)
You can just add it on as an appendix rule. Creatures with affinity in the technique they are using have their dc increase by 1--Azura (talk) 19:42, 26 January 2023 (MST)
- That felt too much like a half-solution, and having both the damage and DC bonus would be far too powerful. Regardless, it's already done, and I'm satisfied with how it is.--Ref3rence (talk) 18:47, 27 January 2023 (MST)
Is there an app where I can download this to use for a character sheet? I'm struggling to make it myself in 5th edition custom builder.--Azura (talk) 15:24, 6 February 2023 (MST)
- There is not. It would probably be easier to use a fillable character sheet (or I suppose you could make a user page here and use the Shinobi World Creature preload).--Ref3rence (talk) 14:13, 8 February 2023 (MST)
What's a shinobi world creature preload?--Azura (talk) 14:27, 8 February 2023 (MST)
- It's what we use to make creatures for Shinobi World (5e Campaign Setting). It'd be easiest to access through the input box at the top of Bestiary (Shinobi World Supplement) (though you'd want to either change the box to something like "User:Azura/Creature Name" and remove the categories at the bottom, or make it normally with (Shinobi World Supplement) at the end of the page name and replace [[Category:Other Village]] with [[Category:OC]]).--Ref3rence (talk) 16:47, 12 February 2023 (MST)
Not certain where to really post this. not much of a request, but maybe a suggestion. for the pure naruto campaign i host, i find once you get up to around 12-16th level you essentially have all the jutsu you really need and thus players kinda look through natures they have and mull about jutsu that they know aren't useful but they gotta take something. i've introduced a rule that seems balanced. the rule i use is: "when you would learn a new jutsu, you may forgo learning it to increase your maximum chakra by 1. this cannot be undone and you cannot reduce your chakra point maxiumum to learn more jutsu." granted this does pose an issue to those such as pure tiajutsu users just forgoing a bunch of jutsu for chakra, but then again, if you're doing pure taijutsu, you've already nerfed yourself enough. another issue this poses is those who min-max chakra/chakra nature alternatives until they can get a big OP jutsu, then just forgo every jutsu after that so they can spam their big OP jutsu in a fight, but that has yet to happen for myself. this is just food for thought though. - CleverNot 16:22, 24 March 2023 (EST)
- That's a pretty good house rule, I personally don't require players to take jutsu the moment they have unspent jutsu maximum but mine only solves half the problem. Alternatively, if ~20 is about the point where having more jutsu stops being useful, we could decrease the number of jutsu known to be equal to your level, which would make what jutsu you know more of an interesting choice, which in turn would make room for feats that allow for more known jutsu.--Ref3rence (talk) 14:56, 24 March 2023 (MDT)
- i wouldn't necessarily say that ~20 would stop being entirely useless all together. i do agree that at roughly 20 jutsu a shinobi has all they need in a full on confrontational fight. those extra 10 jutsu from like 14th-20th level are more or less, icing on the cake that is their shinobi. but feats that increase jutsu number would be very useful if the total number of jutsu is reduced. perhaps also add into the Advanced Training feature gained at 17, 18, and 19th level to be able to increase your max jutsu by like 2 or something. that could also open up a possibility to a change in the Nindo "I Will Master All Jutsu" to perhaps increase their max jutsu by like half their INT modifier. again, just food for thought. - CleverNot 12:26, 26 March 2023 (EST)
- i suppose i should also mention that while my players are only 9th level, i have been creating many characters above that as bosses for them to fight and so far i only find that around 12th-16th level that the shinobi has what they need. this is not a reflection of what my players are going through. once they encounter this i will certainly update and see if there is indeed a slump where they dont really wanna pick jutsu - CleverNot 12:30, 26 March 2023 (EST)
- Sounds like a plan, I'm currently running a game as well, though they're only 6th level at the moment, if either of our players run into this as a problem, a rule change should definitely be implemented. An alternative could be implementing jutsu ranks, so a player taking only E- and D-rank jutsu could still have the full 30 (maybe even increase the limit to 40), but a player only taking S-ranks would only have maybe 8.--Ref3rence (talk) 20:52, 27 March 2023 (MDT)
Shinobi World (5e Campaign Setting)
Would anybody find it at all useful if I created a campaign setting page for Naruto? I’ve been kicking around the idea for a while, but I want to know if anyone would actually use it. -Ref3rence (talk) 06:13, 13 November 2019 (MST)
I think that's an excellent idea. This class in particular is heavily bent towards working better in its own setting rather than in a normal D&D setting.
I honestly think creating a setting on its own for it would be optimal.
-Kiralokiin (talk) 06:24, 13 November 2019 (MST)
Wonderful! I’ll get to working on it right away. -Ref3rence (talk) 06:31, 13 November 2019 (MST)
I'm loving the look of it so far, and I'm glad to see my items have been added to it too.
- Voided Essence, The Void Walker (talk) 18:52, 13 November 2019 (MST)
Since the Tailed Beasts (5e Creature) are CR 21-30, what CR should I make the Akatsuki (5e Creature) and Sannin (5e Creature)? -Ref3rence (talk) 11:22, 20 November 2019 (MST)
In my opinion they should probably be around CR 10-15 depending on the Character.
Considering the Akatsuki were supposed to be able to take down tailed beasts in teams of two (With the assistance of their rings, if I remember correctly. Which could be incorporated into their stat blocks), maybe their CR could increment depending on the amount of members present at the time.
Having Akatsuki members' abilities synergise with their respective partners could also be a fun idea.
The Sannin are a bit harder to decide though. They're supposed to be great on their own, rather than specifically as an unit. So I think a CR 18 or so might be appropriate, if they can utilise minions (summoning creatures to help, for example) that CR could probably be pumped up.
-Kiralokiin (talk) 11:44, 20 November 2019 (MST)
Is it possible to add movie creatures like the zero tails
Hey I don't want to come off rude or anything but when do you plan on working more on the Akatsuki members? Sorry if it sounds like I am coming off rude lol.-D
- I kinda put the project to the side for a while. I will most likely add them at a later date, but if anybody wants to contribute to the Akatsuki or any other part of this setting, go right ahead. -Ref3rence (talk) 16:46, 16 March 2020 (MDT)
I would love to help but I am pretty new to DND. But sounds great and thanks for everything. -D
- I recently made a large amount of stat blocks for the Akatsuki (5e Creature) and Naruto at Jinchuriki Overview (5e Creature). I would really appreciate if some of y'all could sort through the new pages because I'm sure I missed some things. I also botched all but Naruto's base forms's CRs, but I'm so burned out at this point to fix it right now. -Ref3rence (talk) 19:23, 15 April 2020 (MDT)
Damn dude you put alot of work into this and I'm like impressed af over all this hard work you ever take any breaks my dude? RenBimu
- Thanks for your support! I didn't have to do anything else for the past few days, so this is pretty much all I've done save for walking my dog so I don't atrophy. I finally got into the flow of making creatures, so it looks like more work than it is. -Ref3rence (talk) 21:15, 16 April 2020 (MDT)
Hey man under the Jinchuriki Overview you have nine tailed jinchuriki listed twice RenBimu
I check back on here very 3 hours or so seeing what's been added and if I cetch anything I'll let you know bro RenBimu
I've corrected two so far. 1: 3rd hokage was the 4th hokage name I and I changed that to his rightful name. And 2: in 4th hokage his big ball rasangon you had "from naruto" and I changed that to his rightful name. RenBimu
- Thanks again. I used Minato as a base for the other Hokage, and I think Minato himself was derived from Sage Naruto. -Ref3rence (talk) 09:36, 19 April 2020 (MDT)
Well in cannon Minato did take the yin or yang part of the 9 tails and sealed it inside himself and sealed the other half in naruto before he died and what little chakra they had left they left ot there just in case the seal breaks RenBimu
I have a question my man. Are you going to make a campaign or set up different missions? RenBimu
- Definitely, but I think it’ll probably be the, or at least one of the, last steps. --Ref3rence (talk) 14:46, 22 April 2020 (MDT)
I feel like this is better balanced and earlier versions and easier to understand, I just wanted to make some requests. Could evasion & ninja speed not use chakra? I did like some other the older feats like the way shadow clone jutsu & substitution worked, also picking which saving throws you wanted. Lastly I just wanted to ask if you could add sneak attack and expertise, I feel like those would be useful mechanics for a shinobi both combat and roleplaywise. -User:Lowrider93 11:54, 17 January 2021 (PT)
- Ninja Speed uses chakra for the sake of at least trying to be balanced in normal play, other core classes get similar features but are more bread-and-butter there than in this class. Evasion doesn't use chakra, so I don't know what you're asking there. Path of the Assassin shinobi get sneak attack, and there are numerous ways to get specific expertise, once again these are added in lesser/more restricted forms due to being less of BNB features. --Ref3rence (talk) 20:47, 17 January 2021 (MST)
Whats on our to do list today boss? RenBimu
- I'll probably finish off the Leaf and then start working my way down the Sound from the top. If you wanted, I would really appreciate it if you helped with Dosu down to Karin. --Ref3rence (talk) 10:20, 30 April 2020 (MDT)
Should we make a naruto human race that gives clan and a slight buff tonthe class or no? ~killshot
- I always figured the variant human works pretty well for that with the adaptable ASI and, while it isn't outright stated, the feat choice could be used for hiden/kekkei genkai jutsu. --Ref3rence (talk) 10:44, 6 May 2020 (MDT)
I think maybe the cells traits or epic boons could bee the reward of missions from Orochimaru seeing how advanced his base is in Boruto
- That's entirely up to the DM. While they certainly could be, completely restricting them to one source would heavily limit a DM. --Ref3rence (talk) 07:29, 25 July 2020 (MDT)
But I do have questions do you plan on making the sound 4 or kaguya or naruto and sasuke as creatures?
That's awesome to see at least the important characters are gonna be in there it fit well for the campaign setting you have I just wish I knew how this format works and I'd create some of the characters along side you -Bimu
- Honestly, I’d say the best way to start is to make an account and use trial and error. If you need any help, don’t hesitate to ask. -Ref3rence (talk) 09:03, 21 March 2020 (MDT)
Alright ill give that a shot bro -Bimu
Hey I saw in the campaign settings for the leaf you did have the anbu but took it away. I was wondering if you are going to or if you could add anbu? Of course whenever you are done with your break.-Sean
- The purpose of Anbu was originally to be the Hidden Leaf's "special shinobi" in the same way that the Sand has puppet masters, Mist has hunter-nin, Cloud has kenjutsu, and Stone has Kamizuru, though I may replace them with Explosion Corps. Since Konoha has a ton of unique clans, Anbu kinda lost its place. You can pretty much use any jonin or clan to represent Anbu.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:54, 27 May 2020 (MDT)
I think Six Paths Sage Mode Naruto and Indra Susanoo Sasuke should be more powerfull because they are suposed to be able to fight kaguya and as of right now kaguya can one shot them whit: "Eighty Gods Vacuum Attack (50 Chakra). All creatures in a 30 ft. x 90 ft. line must attempt a DC 32 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, they take 244 (36d12 + 10) magical bludgeoning damage. On a success, they take half as much damage."--Ranuto08 (talk) 02:37, 11 December 2020 (MST)
To add onto the above, They are indeed WAY too weak, and naruto's chakra is not what it should be (it should be like 90, asura's reincarnation and overflowing chakra) nore are their features up to date (Like susanoo taking chakra) -- —The preceding unsigned comment was added by The Archmage Karsus (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- If you want, you are free to make your changes to this setting. To be honest, it's not that high up on my priorities right now. Also, please be sure to sign your posts (can be done with ~~~~ ). --Ref3rence (talk) 20:20, 8 January 2021 (MST)
Hey, thanks for the love for the jutsu's! ^^ I put quiet a bit of thought into a lot of them. I wanted to ask though, as this seems to be a mix between a conversion kit and a playable DND 5e class, is that what it's supposed to be? I personally wanted to with some friends, make a conversation kit using your system as a basis if you do not mind as well. --Hit (Wo)Man (talk) 11:35, 3 April 2021 (CDT)
- I guess I've never really thought of it like that, but I guess it is. Shinobi World (5e Campaign Setting) is meant to more-or-less replace everything except the core rules of 5e. You're free to do whatever you like with this page, nothing on this wiki is copywritten or anything, but if you'd like I've been trying to overhaul the NPCs in this setting to be more shonen-friendly by rebuilding them from the ground up as player characters, so if you're interested in hopping on that with me let me know and I'll try to give you some general pointers.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:27, 3 April 2021 (MDT)
Oh I probably will help. I actually play in like, 2 games with one game being played in and one DMing for, both pure naruto. I wanted to make an actual like, Conversion Kit for this as, the class is near impossible to play in a normal game and the class itself is hard enough to balance normally. But, a lot of good work has been done --Hit (Wo)Man (talk) 12:50, 3 April 2021 (CDT)
- As much as we've tried, this class is a bit sketch to use in a base 5e game. For those pointers I was talking about, rank is based on CR/level for the sake of categories, not necessarily their actual canon rank, though most tend to match. CR 10 is high Genin/low Chunin, CR 15 is high Chunin/low Jonin, CR 20 is high Jonin/low Kage, and CR 25 is high Kage/low Otsutsuki, but Otsutsuki tier is a lot more up to interpretation (see Kakashi, Six Paths (Shinobi World Supplement)). The only creatures who should have jutsu lists are those with multiple pages for the same person like Naruto. I would prefer you leave the Leaf, Generic, and Legendary pages alone for now as there's still a lot of major changes to be made there that I really don't want to trust other people to make, but otherwise, go at it. I would suggest you look at a handful of "finalized" pages first to get a handle on formatting (finalized pages should be moved so they end with (Shinobi World Supplement) instead of (5e Creature)). I'm so glad to have another person on this project.--Ref3rence (talk) 19:38, 3 April 2021 (MDT)
We should just move scrolls over to the setting rather than the class page, they would fit in better over there.--Jaydon105 (talk) 20:17, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
Hey is it possible that the Genryū will be added considering the dragon blade is here?-killshot
- They will be added at some point, but for the most part my process is to fix characters that have already been created, then make new characters that appear in the manga/anime, then novel characters, then game exclusives, so it might be a while before I start them.--Ref3rence (talk) 11:16, 31 July 2022 (MDT)
Is there like a discord or something, for this? I'd like to try and find a game that allows this class at least if not in the setting. All of my friends are physically incapable of following a set schedule so...--Azura (talk) 08:56, 26 January 2023 (MST)
- There is not, at least to my knowledge. Then again, I have seen some LFG posts on some Naruto communities, with the most recent I've seen being on the Naruto subreddit if I'm not mistaken. Maybe start looking there.--Ref3rence (talk) 18:59, 26 January 2023 (MST)
Quality Article Nomination
Support. The shinobi is a class with a unique role for any party that is also full with interesting mechanics, rules that add flavor to the campaign, and a system like spells. --Green Dragon (talk) 01:02, 12 February 2021 (MST)
Support. I believe this class to be a relatively sound example of how to adapt content, with things like the paths of the exalted and totality being both accurately represented, yet balanced with things like the path of the shikigami and puppet master, and nothing under the sun being given any particularly ludicrous benefits. That being said, when viewing this as a QA, I'm not entirely sure having unarmored movement
and increasing unarmed strikes adds all that much to the class, and really just serves to cause overlap with monks in a traditional party, but that isn't something that can't be ironed out. --Ref3rence (talk) 04:58, 12 February 2021 (MST)
Support While I personally have issues with the source material, the sheer amount of effort put into cataloging, translating into game mechanics, and balancing everything from a god-knows-how-long anime is staggering. This article is a great example of the best of the active, user-lead projects on the wiki. --SwankyPants (talk) 12:14, 23 March 2021 (MDT)
Oppose See my comment below; I think the sheer size of the page hinders its readability. If the page length is reduced, I'd be open to changing my vote to support. — Geodude (talk | contribs | email) . . 13:20, 14 April 2021 (MDT) it got reduced -plywood tank
Support I believe this is a great class and has some great mechanics that make it fun to play even after playing it ten times because of the variety of subclasses. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Plywood tank (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
Support I believe this class to be a fantastic example of how to adapt homebrew content from existing sources in a balanced manner, while also granting unique abilities that not only make it extremely different from any other class in combat but bring up a lot of funny and memorable roleplaying moments as well. The community has been nothing shy of exemplary and is an awesome example of working together and working hard to adapt content, and I'm glad to say that this is definitely the best class I've ever spent time working on and playing.--Jaydon105 (talk) 23:58, 21 April 2021 (MDT)
Oppose This outshines the monk by far. Why play monk if you have this better monk version. Better breakdown to follow. Red Leg Leo (talk) 10:54, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
Support This class is one of the best examples of a well-done class on the Wiki. It is incredibly well-written, clear, and balanced. While I do agree that it is a bit wordy, it has a lot of flavor to it, and it is incredibly well done. Every class on the wiki should strive to be something like this in terms of clarity of features and general balance. While I don't know anything about the world of Naruto, this class seems to be balanced, so whoever adapted it, good job. --MarshDASavage (talk) 20:47, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
Oppose This is a technicality, but a quality article is "Not extensive enough to be a Featured Article." A problem of this class is that it may be too complex to even be a featured article, so it being given the "simple and modest" title of Quality Article instead is nuts. If this is nominated for a Featured Article instead, I will reconsider. vladulenta (talk)
I hope these comments help.
- fix jutsu column. says one jutsu at level but it isn't a feature until level two. I think it can also be detailed better. Chakra is the topic but jutsu comes out of left field. To non-Naruto people this probably isn't an issue but I find a little clarity could be useful here.
- scrolls, non-shinobi DC is arbitrary. Why 17? maybe make it equal to a DC of whoever created the scroll. DMs and improvise DCs for random scrolls. I also don't know how to use these scrolls. Weapon scrolls give some guidance but as far as I can tell, all I can do is draw the scrolls.
- Chakra seems to start simple but then Natures, paths, etc are discussed and the feature becomes convoluted. This really needs to be simplified and when natures or paths are introduced, they can describe in what way they affect chakra i.e. under subclasses you include chakra learned do not count against the number of chakra you learn. Leave that out of the chakra section. I like the touch of non-damage chakra using half jutsu out of combat. Reminds me of a ritual casting, and the reasoning is flavorful with canon i'd say.
- scroll upgrade seems to compound an already utility feature for a class. This better monk is already got options and utuility, I dare say more than an artificer? 5e wants options for players over moar damage for sure, but ideally this is a party game and no one class should be doing everything. I could be wrong and the class isn't but glancing over, sooo much utility here.
- I really don't feel like I need to explain why giving a class an additional subclass is OP. I would develop a more traditional feature for 5e and create a sidebar for this to be an optional feature that follows canon.
- what is the classes final feature? level 20 subclass feature? obviously but I feel jipped. I won't make it negative. It is unconventional though.
I'd like to address Nindo, Paths, Natures, and feats in separate posts. It will also help spot balance concerns. Red Leg Leo (talk) 11:02, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
I am confused how a mantra bestows benefits. That said, it is a fantasy game. In the features current state, there appears no reason for how to decide the benefits. It is literally, decide with your DM what bonus they'll give you as long as you roleplay in accordance with said characters ninja way. D&D crunch is usually much more precise than this, and it is why I don't like this feature. I am also taking the practice jutso 1,000 times nindo because +3 hit and damage bonus is on par with a legendary item *cough cough*. I recommend determining a method to this madness so each nindo has some sort of balance to another. Not perfect, just comparable. Red Leg Leo (talk) 11:18, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
So closer look I've learned the nature thing is just a school of magic like thing. I think the chakra section would greatly benefit if subtitles were used to give a heads up to readers. Like the wizard has Ritual Casting title under spell casting. Like I didn't know in order to pick jutsu I needed a nature. I also wasn't following that jutsu are essentially spells. The chakra section isn't precise about these nuances. Red Leg Leo (talk) 11:41, 22 April 2021 (MDT)
While playtesting this class with some of my good friends we found a few issues. The playtest was in the scenario of the Zabuza arc, meaning we were level 9 (because that was directly after they learned to walk up walls, and directly before they receive the abilities used in the chunin exams.) and we found a few things wrong with the class.
Path of Sight: One of the more minor things we noticed is that the byakugan (now that I think about it, I think multiple subclasses get it) receives a truesight of 30 feet at level 3. A warlock whose whole thing is oooh Ethereal plane oooh, receives truesight at level 15, while specific classes can only get truesight from a sixth level spell. Again, it's not a huge deal, because it's not all too powerful and won't be used too often unless you come across the invisible man, but I think it's a bit unfair for the other classes who want the same thing. Also, in the setting of Naruto, there are a lot of characters who specialize in genjutsu are made useless against them, for instance, the path of blood. I would recommend making it blindsight with the addition of being able to see chakra and whatnot. Though, one of the things I am a bit unhappy about is that the blindspot of byakugan is never once mentioned, regardless of it being a huge weakness.
Maximum for how much chakra can be put into jutsu: When said fight with Zabuza actually began, I noticed something was wrong with specifically, great fireball. It says you can put one extra chakra point into the jutsu to do an extra 1d6 fire damage. This is very close to how the fireball spell works, so I can see why you missed this. There is not a maximum for how many points you can put into the jutsu. With the con modifier of the character making 20 chakra points total, it allowed the character to put 12 points into the jutsu, making it the equivalent of a 15TH LEVEL FIREBALL, which as you know, isn't even possible to cast. You unlock 9th level spells at around the end of progression, but a shinobi can cast the equivalent of a 9th level fireball by level 7 at the latest. I'm sure this issue exists with other jutsu as well, and some of them it isn't a huge deal, such as substitution, which essentially allows you to completely dodge an attack for enough chakra points, which is on par with deflect missiles from the monk. Jutsu such as that, where it doesn't outclass similar features or spells from other classes by a landslide, nor does it allow the players to do an average of 80 damage per turn at level 9. You can argue that it's too risky to spend all of your chakra on a single jutsu for a chance of instantly killing the boss, but you underestimate the stupidity of both my and other players. They thought the best plan of action was that ALL OF THEM use all of their chakra on great fireball because it gave Zabuza no chance of surviving. You can also argue that most of the ninjas have evasion, but the majority of monsters don't, so in a normal setting, player characters can just breeze through combat, especially at later levels.
Increasing the DC for saving throws is stupid: For example, sealing jutsu allows you to increase the DC of the save for a singular chakra point. This is similar to how certain spells allow you to increase the DC for a save by expending spell slots, but not only is that limited to the 9th level, most of those require multiple spell slots more than the original cost to even increase the DC by 1. This is similar to the last issue I mentioned both because there is no limit to how many chakra points you can spend on it, but also because there is no limit on the stupidity of players, and they will make the DC impossible to pass, especially at later levels.
Those are all of the issues I've found as of now. --Fellow creator, Picigu9 (talk) 11:33, 28 April 2021 (MDT)
Under Path of Hatred, there are two jutsu in particular that seem to be terribly expensive with Chakra or underpowered. 1st: Susano'o: Tsukumo. for 15 chakra you do get a generous 15ft wide, 60ft long line, but only for 3d8 damage. correct me if i'm wrong, but the amount of chakra being spend vs the area and damage seems to be worth it. personally, i think either buffing the damage to 5d8 or reducing the chakra cost to 10 would be reasonable. 2nd: Yasaka Magatama. for 15 chakra you get to make 3 ranged attacks within 60ft and they deal 3d8 on a hit. while you do get 3 whole attacks and a range of 60ft, the cost of 15 chakra seems to be a little steep. i think that maybe reducing the chakra cost to 12 may be reasonable. again, these fixes are simply requests that i feel could simply balance out those 2 jutsu into being balanced. -- (CleverNot, 8:33, 6 October 2022)
Is Jutsu spelt with caps or not?
This sounds very persnickery compared to the above posts that are explaining pertinent balance posts, but as I want to at least clear up the writing of this class, I would like a clarification if "Jutsu" is spelt with caps or not. It really seems to jump from one way or the other, and I don't know if it may be reffering to two different things ("jutsu" might be the concept, while "Jutsu" might refer to the mechanical feature), or is just inconsistent writing. Whatever it is, it's throwing me off. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by vladulenta (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.