From D&D Wiki
Welcome to D&D Wiki!
Hello FrickyDiBoop, and welcome to D&D Wiki! I hope you are enjoying D&D Wiki and have been finding the information here useful. Before you start contributing, we recommend you make sure your user preferences match your preferences.
If you have any questions about a specific page please ask it on that page's talk page. If you have a D&D-related question, you can ask it on DnD Discussions. Everything relating to D&D Wiki's administration can be asked here. If you need to contact another user, please use their talk page.
Syntax can be very difficult, and if you need help a good place to start is Help:Editing on Wikipedia (or even their Introduction page). This will explain basic wiki formatting and should provide quite a few useful links that explain more specific areas of wiki formatting. Help:Portal also provides detailed explanation of information important specifically to this community.
A strong and welcoming community exists on D&D Wiki, and I'm sure you will find us friendly. To enable the community to function, a number of policies are in effect. Most importantly, we follow and expect you to follow Wikipedia's guidelines on civility and etiquette when discussing anything. As most work has multiple authors, please do not delete content without following our removal process. When posting a comment on a talk page, please ensure you sign your name with four tildes (~~~~) or by clicking on the signature icon (). This will automatically produce your name and the date. I hope you come to enjoy D&D Wiki and the community. Welcome again, you are now a D&D Wikian. --SirSprinkles (talk) 00:22, 20 January 2021 (MST)
I'm very new, and I know basically nothing of wtf I'm doing. Help would be VERY appreciated.
- For a quick rundown, if you want to make a page, go to the relevant category and find the text box and blue button that says create page, replacing the name and leaving the identifier. If there’s anything else you need to know, just ask. --SwankyPants (talk) 12:22, 23 February 2021 (MST)
- Damn, that was fast. I just wrote that so people know I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks! --FrickyDiBoop
- Ah, I see. Making pages is generally the situation with new active users(~60% of them in my time), so I just kinda assumed that was the situation here too. Oh well, now you know, I guess? Good luck! --SwankyPants (talk) 14:30, 23 February 2021 (MST)
- Well, I work best when I have something existing to tweak and improve. Creating something completely new is less my area of expertise. But thank you for the help nonetheless! Appreciate the willingness.
But may I ask something? What's the thing with the -- user thingy? Is there a certain way I need to put it? Cuz it looks like a template everyone is filling. --FrickyDiBoop 15:15, 23 February 2021 (MST)
- You mean "--SwankyPants (talk) 15:26, 23 February 2021 (MST)" this? That's just the signature, has a date and includes your name so people know who said what and when. Simple enough. I just hit the button and have that output because it's easy, as long as you include your name it should be okay.
- I want to know how to do that! It looks hella lit. 'I am so disappointed in myself for saying that...'
- So if you don't mind, can you tell me hoe to mess around with that signature thingy? --FrickyDiBoop 00:35, 24 February 2021 (MST)
- And about fixing pre-existing content, there's boatloads of that to do. There's stuff to balance, things missing content, pages with grammar problems, big and small, and pages formatted incorrectly. All of them need help, and 99% aren't protected so you can do whatever you want with them. Don't feel obligated to work on any, but if you've got the time and energy, go wild. --SwankyPants (talk) 15:26, 23 February 2021 (MST)
Sounds hecking cool! I'll try not to ruin everything. --FrickyDiBoop 00:35, 24 February 2021 (MST)
Trust me, most of the pages there can’t get more ruined, you can do basically no harm to them. And about the signatures again, it’s the lil’ squiggly at the top of the text box, and if you go to preferences at the top, you can change what the signature says. --SwankyPants (talk) 10:44, 24 February 2021 (MST)