3e SRD:Sorcerer/Wizard Spell List
From D&D Wiki
|This material is published under the OGL 1.0a.|
0-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells (Cantrips)
- Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
- Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.
- Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.
- Daze: Creature loses next action.
- Dancing Lights: Figment torches or other lights.
- Flare: Dazzles one creature (-1 attack).
- Light: Object shines like a torch.
- Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
- Disrupt Undead: Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.
- Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
- Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
- Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
- Arcane Mark: Inscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible).
- Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
- Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
- Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
1st-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Alarm: Wards an area for 2 hours/level.
- Endure Elements: Ignores 5 damage/round from one energy type.
- Hold Portal: Holds door shut.
- Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law: +2 AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
- Shield: Invisible disc gives cover and blocks magic missiles.
- Grease: Makes 10-ft. square or one object slippery.
- Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
- Mount: Summons riding horse for 2 hr./level.
- Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds the caster.
- Summon Monster I: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Unseen Servant: Creates invisible force that obeys the casters commands.
- Comprehend Languages: Understands all spoken and written languages.
- Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
- Detect Undead: Reveals undead within 60 ft.
- Identify: Determines single feature of magic item.
- True Strike: Adds +20 bonus to the casters next attack roll.
- Charm Person: Makes one person the casters friend.
- Hypnotism: Fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
- Sleep: Put 2d4 HD of creatures into comatose slumber.
- Floating Disk: 3-ft.-diameter horizontal disk that holds 100 lb./level.
- Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile/two levels above 1st (max 5).
- Change Self: Changes the casters appearance.
- Color Spray: Knocks unconscious, blinds, or stuns 1d6 weak creatures.
- Magical Aura: Grants object false magic aura.
- Silent Image: Creates minor illusion of the casters design.
- Undetectable Aura: Masks magic item's aura.
- Ventriloquism: Throws voice for 1 min./level.
- Cause Fear: One creature flees for 1d4 rounds.
- Chill Touch: 1 touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
- Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray reduces Str by 1d6 points +1 point/two levels.
- Animate Rope: Makes a rope move at the casters command.
- Burning Hands: 1d4 fire damage/level (max: 5d4).
- Enlarge: Object or creature grows +10%/level (max +50%).
- Erase: Mundane or magical writing vanishes.
- Expeditious Retreat: Doubles the casters speed.
- Feather Fall: Objects or creatures fall slowly.
- Jump: Subject gets +30 on Jump checks.
- Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
- Message: Whispered conversation at distance.
- Reduce: Object or creature shrinks 10%/level (max 50%).
- Shocking Grasp: Touch delivers 1d8 +1/level electricity.
- Spider Climb: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
2nd-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Arcane Lock: Magically locks a portal or chest.
- Obscure Object: Masks object against divination.
- Protection from Arrows: Subject immune to most ranged attacks.
- Resist Elements: Ignores 12 damage/round from one energy type.
- Acid Arrow: Ranged touch attack; 2d4 damage for 1 round + 1 round/three levels.
- Fog Cloud: Fog obscures vision.
- Glitterdust: Blinds creatures, outlines invisible creatures.
- Summon Monster II: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Summon Swarm: Summons swarm of small crawling or flying creatures.
- Web: Fills 20-ft-radius spread with sticky spider webs.
- Detect Thoughts: Allows "listening" to surface thoughts.
- Locate Object: Senses direction toward object (specific or type).
- See Invisibility: Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
- Hideous Laughter: Subject loses actions for 1d3 rounds.
- Continual Flame: Makes a permanent, heatless torch.
- Darkness:20-ft. radius of supernatural darkness.
- Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
- Flaming Sphere: Rolling ball of fire, 2d6 damage, lasts 1 round/level.
- Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures.
- Blur: Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
- Hypnotic Pattern: Fascinates 2d4+1 HD/level of creatures.
- Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 10 min./level or until it attacks.
- Magic Mouth: Speaks once when triggered.
- Minor Image: As silent image, plus some sound.
- Mirror Image: Creates decoy duplicates of the caster (1d4 +1/three levels, max 8).
- Misdirection: Misleads divinations for one creature or object.
- Trap: Makes item seem trapped.
- Ghoul Touch: Paralyzes one subject, who exudes stench (-2 penalty) nearby.
- Scare: Panics creatures up to 5 HD (15-ft. radius).
- Spectral Hand: Creates disembodied glowing hand to deliver touch attacks.
- Alter Self: As change self, plus more drastic changes.
- Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blind or deaf.
- Bull's Strength: Subject gains 1d4+1 Str for 1 hr./level.
- Cat's Grace: Subject gains 1d4+1 Dex for 1 hr./level.
- Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
- Endurance: Gain 1d4+1 Con for 1 hr./level.
- Knock: Opens locked or magically sealed door.
- Levitate: Subject moves up and down at the casters direction.
- Pyrotechnics: Turns fire into blinding light or choking smoke.
- Rope Trick: Up to eight creatures hide in extradimensional space.
- Whispering Wind: Sends a short message one mile/level.
3rd-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Dispel Magic: Cancels magical spells and effects.
- Explosive Runes: Deals 6d6 damage when read.
- Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- Nondetection: Hides subject from divination, scrying.
- Protection from Elements: Absorb 12 damage/level from one kind of energy.
- Flame Arrow: Shoots flaming projectiles (extra damage) or fiery bolts (4d6 damage).
- Phantom Steed: Magical horse appears for 1 hour/level.
- Sepia Snake Sigil: Creates text symbol that immobilizes reader.
- Sleet Storm: Hampers vision and movement.
- Stinking Cloud: Nauseating vapors, 1 round/level.
- Summon Monster III: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 min./level.
- Tongues: Speak any language.
- Hold Person: Holds one person helpless; 1 round/level.
- Suggestion: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
- Fireball: 1d6 damage per level, 20-ft. radius.
- Gust of Wind: Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures.
- Lightning Bolt: Electricity deals 1d6 damage/level.
- Tiny Hut: Creates shelter for 10 creatures.
- Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.
- Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50%.
- Illusory Script: Only intended reader can decipher.
- Invisibility Sphere: Makes everyone within 10 ft. invisible.
- Major Image: As silent image, plus sound, smell and thermal effects.
- Gentle Repose: Preserves one corpse.
- Halt Undead: Immobilizes undead for 1 round/level.
- Vampiric Touch: Touch deals 1d6/two caster levels; caster gains damage as hp.
- Blink: The caster randomly vanishes and reappears for 1 round/level.
- Fly: Subject flies at speed of 90.
- Gaseous Form: Subject becomes insubstantial and can fly slowly.
- Haste: Extra partial action and +4 AC.
- Keen Edge: Doubles normal weapon's threat range.
- Magic Weapon, Greater: +1/three levels (max +5).
- Secret Page: Changes one page to hide its real content.
- Shrink Item: Object shrinks to one-twelfth size.
- Slow: One subject/level takes only partial actions, -2 AC, -2 melee rolls.
- Water Breathing: Subjects can breathe underwater.
4th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Dimensional Anchor: Bars extradimensional movement.
- Fire Trap: Opened object deals 1d4 +1/level damage.
- Globe of Invulnerability, Minor: Stops 1st- through 3rd-level spell effects.
- Remove Curse: Frees object or person from curse.
- Stoneskin: Stops blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes.
- Black Tentacles: 1d4 +1/level tentacles grapple randomly within 15 ft.
- Creation, Minor: Creates one cloth or wood object.
- Secure Shelter: Creates sturdy cottage.
- Solid Fog: Blocks vision and slows movement.
- Summon Monster IV: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Arcane Eye: Invisible floating eye moves 30 ft./round.
- Detect Scrying: Alerts the caster of magical eavesdropping.
- Locate Creature: Indicates direction to familiar creature.
- Scrying: Spies on subject from a distance.
- Charm Monster: Makes monster believe it is the casters ally.
- Confusion: Makes subject behave oddly for 1 round/level.
- Emotion: Arouses strong emotion in subject.
- Geas, Lesser: Commands subject of 7 HD or less.
- Fire Shield: Creatures attacking the caster take fire damage; the caster is protected from heat or cold.
- Ice Storm: Hail deals 5d6 damage in cylinder 40 ft. across.
- Resilient Sphere: Force globe protects but traps one subject.
- Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 2d6 damage.
- Wall of Fire: Deals 2d4 fire damage out to 10 ft. and 1d4 out to 20 ft. Passing through wall deals 2d6 +1/level.
- Wall of Ice: Ice plane creates wall with 15 hp +3/level, or hemisphere can trap creatures inside.
- Hallucinatory Terrain: Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, etc.).
- Illusory Wall: Wall, floor, or ceiling looks real, but anything can pass through.
- Invisibility, Improved: As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
- Phantasmal Killer: Fearsome illusion kills subject or deals 3d6 damage.
- Rainbow Pattern: Lights prevent 24 HD of creatures from attacking or moving away.
- Shadow Conjuration: Mimics conjuring below 4th level.
- Contagion: Infects subject with chosen disease.
- Enervation: Subject gains 1d4 negative levels.
- Fear: Subjects within cone flee for 1 round/level.
- Bestow Curse: -6 to an ability; -4 on attacks, saves, and checks; or 50% chance of losing each action.
- Dimension Door: Teleports the caster and up to 500 lb.
- Mnemonic Enhancer: Prepares extra spells or retains one just cast. Wizard only.
- Polymorph Other: Gives one subject a new form.
- Polymorph Self: The caster assumes a new form.
5th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Dismissal: Forces a creature to return to native plane.
- Cloudkill: Kills 3 HD or less; 4-6 HD save or die.
- Creation, Major: As minor creation, plus stone and metal.
- Faithful Hound: Phantom dog can guard, attack.
- Planar Binding, Lesser: Traps outsider until it performs a task.
- Summon Monster V: Summon Monster V Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Secret Chest: Hides expensive chest on Ethereal Plane; the caster retrieves it at will.
- Wall of Iron: 30 hp/four levels; can topple onto foes.
- Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.
- Contact Other Plane: Ask question of extraplanar entity.
- Prying Eyes: 1d4 floating eyes +1/level scout for the caster.
- Telepathic Bond: Link lets allies communicate.
- Dominate Person: Controls humanoid telepathically.
- Feeblemind: Subject's Int drops to 1.
- Hold Monster: As hold person, but any creature.
- Mind Fog: Subjects in fog get -10 Wis, Will checks.
- Cone of Cold: 1d6 cold damage/level.
- Interposing Hand: Hand provides 90% cover against one opponent.
- Sending: Delivers short message anywhere, instantly.
- Wall of Force: Wall is immune to damage.
- Dream: Sends message to anyone sleeping.
- False Vision: Fools scrying with an illusion.
- Shadow Conjuration, Greater: As shadow conjuration, but up to 4th level and 40% real.
- Mirage Arcana: As hallucinatory terrain, plus structures.
- Nightmare: Sends vision dealing 1d10 damage, fatigue.
- Persistent Image: As major image, but no concentration required.
- Seeming: Changes appearance of one person/two levels.
- Shadow Evocation: Mimics evocation less than 5th level.
- Animate Dead: Creates undead skeletons and zombies.
- Magic Jar: Enables possession of another creature.
- Animal Growth: One animal/two levels doubles in size, HD.
- Fabricate: Transforms raw materials into finished items.
- Passwall: Breaches walls 1 ft. thick/level.
- Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any form.
- Telekinesis: Lifts or moves 25 lb./level at long range.
- Teleport: Instantly transports the caster anywhere.
- Transmute Mud to Rock: Transforms two 10-ft. cubes/level.
- Transmute Rock to Mud: Transforms two 10-ft. cubes/level.
- Permanency: Makes certain spells permanent; costs XP.
6th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
- Dispelling, Greater: As dispel magic, but +20 on check.
- Globe of Invulnerability: As minor globe, plus 4th level.
- Guards and Wards: Array of magic effects protect area.
- Repulsion: Creatures can't approach the caster.
- Acid Fog: Fog deals acid damage.
- Planar Binding: As lesser planar binding, but up to 16 HD.
- Summon Monster VI: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Analyze Dweomer: Reveals magical aspects of subject.
- Legend Lore: Learn tales about a person, place, or thing.
- True Seeing: See all things as they really are.
- Geas/Quest: As lesser geas, plus it affects any creature.
- Suggestion, Mass: As suggestion, plus one/level subjects.
- Chain Lightning: 1d6 damage/level; secondary bolts.
- Contingency: Sets trigger condition for another spell.
- Forceful Hand: Hand pushes creatures away.
- Freezing Sphere: Freezes water or deals cold damage.
- Mislead: Turns the caster invisible and creates illusory double.
- Permanent Image: Includes sight, sound, and smell.
- Programmed Image: As major image, plus triggered by event.
- Project Image: Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
- Shades: As shadow conjuration, but up to 5th level and 60% real.
- Shadow Evocation, Greater: As shadow evocation, but up to 5th level.
- Veil: Changes appearance of group of creatures.
- Circle of Death: Kills 1d4 HD/level.
- Control Water: Raises or lowers bodies of water.
- Control Weather: Changes weather in local area.
- Disintegrate: Makes one creature or object vanish.
- Eyebite: Charm, fear, sicken or sleep one subject.
- Flesh to Stone: Turns subject creature into statue.
- Haste, Mass: As haste, affects one/level subjects.
- Lucubration: Recalls spell of 5th level or less. Wizard Only.
- Move Earth: Digs trenches and build hills.
- Stone to Flesh: Restores petrified creature.
- Transformation: The caster gains combat bonuses.
7th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Banishment: Banishes 2 HD/level extraplanar creatures.
- Sequester: Subject is invisible to sight and scrying.
- Spell Turning: Reflect 1d4+6 spell levels back at caster.
- Instant Summons: Prepared object appears in the casters hand.
- Magnificent Mansion: Door leads to extradimensional mansion.
- Phase Door: Invisible passage through wood or stone.
- Power Word, Stun: Stuns creature with up to 150 hp.
- Summon Monster VII: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Scrying, Greater: As scrying, but faster and longer.
- Vision: As legend lore, but quicker and strenuous.
- Insanity: Subject suffers continuous confusion.
- Fireball, Delayed Blast: 1d6 fire damage/level; the caster can delay blast for 5 rounds.
- Grasping Hand: Hand provides cover, pushes, or grapples.
- Forcecage: Cube of force imprisons all inside.
- Prismatic Spray: Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
- Sword: Floating magic blade strikes opponents.
- Invisibility, Mass: As invisibility, but affects all in range.
- Shadow Walk: Step into shadow to travel rapidly.
- Simulacrum: Creates partially real double of a creature.
- Control Undead: Undead don't attack the caster while under the caster's command.
- Finger of Death: Kills one subject.
- Ethereal Jaunt: The caster becomes ethereal for 1 round/level.
- Plane Shift: Up to eight subjects travel to another plane.
- Reverse Gravity: Objects and creatures fall upward.
- Statue: Subject can become a statue at will.
- Teleport without Error: As teleport, but no off-target arrival.
- Vanish: As teleport, but affects a touched object.
- Limited Wish: Alters reality-within spell limits.
8th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Mind Blank: Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
- Prismatic Wall: Wall's colors have array of effects.
- Protection from Spells: Confers +8 resistance bonus.
- Incendiary Cloud: Cloud deals 4d6 fire damage/round.
- Maze: Traps subject in extradimensional maze.
- Planar Binding, Greater: As lesser planar binding, but up to 24 HD.
- Power Word, Blind: Blinds 200 hp worth of creatures.
- Summon Monster VIII: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Trap the Soul: Imprisons subject within gem.
- Discern Location: Exact location of creature or object.
- Antipathy: Object or location affected by spell repels certain creatures.
- Binding: Array of techniques to imprison a creature.
- Demand: As sending, plus the caster can send suggestion.
- Charm, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
- Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
- Sympathy: Object or location attracts certain creatures.
- Clenched Fist: Large hand attacks the casters foes.
- Telekinetic Sphere: As resilient sphere, but the caster moves sphere telekinetically.
- Sunburst: Blinds all within 10 ft., deals 3d6 damage.
- Screen: Illusion hides area from vision, scrying.
- Etherealness (Spell): Travel to Ethereal Plane with companions.
- Iron Body: The casters body becomes living iron.
- Polymorph Any Object: Changes any subject into anything else.
- Symbol: Triggered runes have array of effects.
9th-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells
- Disjunction: Dispels magic, disenchants magic items.
- Freedom: Releases creature suffering imprisonment.
- Imprisonment: Entombs subject beneath the earth.
- Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.
- Gate: Connects two planes for travel or summoning.
- Power Word, Kill: Kills one tough subject or many weak ones.
- Summon Monster IX: Calls outsider to fight for the caster.
- Foresight: "Sixth sense" warns of impending danger.
- Dominate Monster: As dominate person, but any creature.
- Crushing Hand: As interposing hand, but stronger.
- Meteor Swarm: Deals 24d6 fire damage, plus bursts.
- Weird: As phantasmal killer, but affects all within 30 ft.
- Astral Projection: Projects the caster and companions into Astral Plane.
- Energy Drain: Subject gains 2d4 negative levels.
- Soul Bind: Traps newly dead soul to prevent resurrection.
- Wail of the Banshee: Kills one creature/level.
- Refuge: Alters item to transport its possessor to the caster.
- Shapechange: Transforms the caster into any creature, and change forms once per round.
- Teleportation Circle: Circle teleports any creature inside to designated spot.
- Temporal Stasis: Puts subject into suspended animation.
- Time Stop: The caster acts freely for 1d4+1 rounds.
- Wish: As limited wish, but with fewer limits.