Underfolk are a race of small humanoids that inhabit the underworld of Cora. They are underground dwellers who are renowned for their skilled mining, architecture, and technological advancements with cora stones. Underfolk are a people of tradition, passing on their heritage is a large part of their culture while the family name is always to be honored, and protected. A underfolk may adventure to bring honor or prestige to his family name, or possibly because he has shamed his family and must restore himself once again to society, other reasons for adventuring include simply for wealth or research of a new spell or technological device.
- +2 Constitution, −2 Wisdom
- Humanoid (folk)
- Small: As Small creatures, underfolk gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than normal, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Underfolk base land speed is 20 feet. However, underfolk can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Underfolk can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and underfolk can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants an underfolk a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. An underfolk who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and an underfolk can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. An underfolk can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as someone can sense which way is up.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft and Spellcraft checks.
- Cold Blooded (Ex): underfolk are cold-blooded and eat significantly less food than other races, they only need to eat three meals per week to sustain themselves, though because of this they sleep longer than the others, needing a full 12 hours of rest.
- Weapon Familiarity: underfolk treak the light pick and heavy pick as simple weapons (rather than martial).
- Chitin (Ex): An underfolk’s skin is hardened, almost like an exoskeleton, and grants the character a +2 natural armor bonus to AC.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Underspeak
- Favored Class: Stonemelder.
Table: Underfolk Random Starting Ages
Table: Underfolk Aging Effects
Table: Underfolk Random Height and Weight
||× (2d4) lb.
||× (2d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Campaign Settings → Cora Campaign Setting