Deku Baba (5e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Medium plant, unaligned
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
False Appearance. While the baba remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary plant.
Rooted. The deku baba is rooted to the ground. Its base walking speed cannot increase above 0 feet. It has advantage on all saving throws and ability checks to remain in its position. If the baba is forced from its position but not reduced to 0 hit points, it dies at the end of its next turn.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8) piercing damage plus 1 poison damage, and if the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 13). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the baba cannot bite another target.
Lunge. When a creature moves within 5 feet of it, the baba makes a bite attack against that creature.
An animated flower-like plant with simple intelligence, the deku baba is common in forested areas far from civilization. Because it is a mostly mundane plant, the baba is rooted to the ground, and cannot willingly separate from where it grows. It normally exists as what appears to be a mere weed, but when it detects potential prey with its tremorsense, it lunges out like a snake, snapping its jaw-like petals to capture food. The baba normally feasts on insects and small animals, but has been known to attempt larger prey when food has been scarce or it is influenced by evil magic.
A more colorful variant known as a "boko baba" is known to grow on beaches or small isles, but can be represented with these statistics.
- Big deku baba, a larger and physically stronger variety
- Quadro baba, a more reactive and cunning form of this plant
- Baba serpent, a variety that has adapted to survive separating from the ground, if only briefly
- Fire baba, a baba with an unusual adaptation to spit fiery projectiles
- Bio deku baba, an amphibious form of baba with greater mobility
- Diababa, an incredibly overgrown baba of Huge size, sprouting three heads and the capability to exhale acid