Talk:Necrolyte (5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This race is currently overpowered. As of this edit, a necrolyte character:
- Learns several times more wizard cantrips than an actual wizard.
- Absorbs necrotic damage. It can exploit any number of sources of necrotic damage (including from chill touch, which it can easily learn as one of those wizard cantrips) to obtain easy and unlimited healing. It can effectively omit any need for Hit Dice or otherwise vital sources of out-of-combat healing.
- Is literally incapable of staying dead for more than 4 hours.
- Is entirely immune to necrotic damage, poison damage, suffocation, starvation, sleep deprivation, poison, disease, the charmed condition, and the frightened condition.
- I agree that it is overpowered, and I think the race should probably changed to a monster with:
- The cantrips removed
- A low amount of hit dice, lose one hit dice upon death, and revive in 1d4 turns.
- Everything else kept
- --Blobby383b (talk) 18:32, 30 June 2017 (MDT)
I rewrote it.
- They take necrotic damage as normal now, but gain temporary hit points afterwards.
- Reduced cantrips to one, chill touch.
- Made their raise dead work like, well, raise dead, including the costs and penalties.
- Changed the "undead language". Most undead that can speak, speak in common anyway. Changed it to an Insight bonus.
- Removed Infernal language, since they have nothing to do with devils. Marasmusine (talk) 02:32, 16 August 2017 (MDT)