Talk:Magnetic Warrior (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
While this class resembles and is in fact inspired by Irelia, it is very much NOT Irelia: The Class. Please do not attempt to edit the class to make it so. Also, to 184.108.40.206, the Epic section is not ready to be shown yet, and if something is hidden but not deleted, don't delete it. I'm sorry for reverting your edit (I appreciate input), but the edits that were made did not fit properly with the class as it is intended.--Salasay Δ 14:06, 12 January 2014 (MST)
- It is now also inspired by Orianna as well. The same is still true: inspired by, not a straight adaptation. --Salasay Δ 21:22, 10 March 2016 (MST)
Don't worry about it. I'm having fun trying to flesh out 'skeleton' classes, or clarifying and polishing certain aspects of classes, or bringing down the power level of a class that is overpowered. Don't think of my edits as a personal attack on you.
If you want some suggestions, you can ask me, or you might look back into my edits to see what I was getting at. So far, this class needs some simple editing.
Sincerely RockJockey or '220.127.116.11'
- If only I was important enough to get attacked on a wiki...
- But yeah, the most recent edits were good, helped clarify/flavor the class. My only real problem with your first edit and the edit on Card Master (yes, it too is LoL based. Same principal applies to it as this one; not TW: The Class) is that you removed a lot of the stuff in <!-- hide --> brackets that I tend to keep. I leave most of the preload intact by just hiding it so I can use it later if I want to. However, "trying to flesh out 'skeleton' classes, ..." is a great goal; A lot of my stuff needs help with it, so if its fun for you I've got a whole playground for you (I would put a smiley, but I'm not texting and I'm too male). Just try not to remove extraneous stuff that only shows in the edit window "just because". Good Luck! --Salasay Δ 10:35, 1 June 2014 (MDT)
Magnetic Warrior versus the Fuzzy
Problems I've encountered:
- Class clarification: Is this a melee class or a mage class?
- I guess primarily "mage", but with melee undertones, although that isn't a great classification. Magnetic surge is supposed to be an assasination ability, only used to finish off a single target. The d6 HD was intended to give rogue durability (another semi-melee class). and since she can have a shield and armor (Bracers of Armor for the win) its not that easy to hit her compared to a wizard. --Salasay Δ 15:21, 4 June 2014 (MDT)
- Class abilities aren't working together
- Too many redundant sentences
- Flavor getting in the way of class abilities
One big problem you may not have noticed is that because of Magnetic Surge, you are putting a very squishy Mage into melee combat. This is problematic on multiple levels. I might suggest changing this to a melee fighter class of some sort or losing some spellcasting levels in exchange for some defensive steriods. Or try weaving spellcasting somewhere into the abilities between the striking people with blades abilities. Another similar issue is this, if I have all of these wonderful abilities I use every turn, when do I cast spells? Why am I a full spellcaster if I am going to spend every round directing my "Magnetic Blades".
- Oh. duh. That would be a problem. Although flavorwise, the spellcasting would probably be more knock, dimension door, telekinesis, levitate, and other utility-belt spells, less fireball, lighting-bolt and magic missile. so I guess half or 3/4 casting progression would be a good idea in exchange for a d6 or even a d8.
Magnetic Warrior needs several rounds of editing in order to bring it up to par (or down) with other prestige classes. The main problem at the moment is getting all the abilities to interact with each other correctly. (partially my fault because I started messing with the class mechanics) This problem has arose because several of the abilities are linked, and changing one requires changes to the others, which takes time.
I understand flavor text in a class is probably something you really like. However some of your sentences are really choppy or hard to read, which makes enjoying the flavor hard to enjoy. Simpler is usually better.
I hope you are in agreement with some of my design choices here.
- Flux: The number of Flux this class has available and how it is used will drastically change what each of the individual abilities do, so be wary.
- Lodestone Gloves: Instead of having to get enhancements for each of the Magnetic Blades, instead you enhance the gloves. This brings down the gold cost immensely. The Mage Hand ability needs a defined weight limit.
- Magnetic Blades: You now summon the blades rather than manufacture them.
- Magnetic Surge: Does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity (wasn't defined before)
- Guardian Shield(Blade): You already have quite a number of "attack" options with this class. It is only possible to perform one "attack" with one of your abilities per turn, so this is kind of overkill. This can be a pure defensive mechanic.
- Lodestone Bullet: Defined it as a standard action
- Lodestone Volley: Defined it as a full round action usable 1/day
- Summoning I need to put in some kind of mechanic describing the length of the duration of the summoned objects.