Talk:Half-Magala (5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
For the image, you can either link to a smaller version (perhaps the deviantArt thumbnail), or ask the image creator for permission to copy it here (where we can resize it) Marasmusine (talk) 11:47, 18 July 2016 (MDT)
Rating the traits:
- Pollen Scales (0.5 or 1) - should clarify if "sense" means "see" or just "know the presence of", and clarify which creatures this detects (since statblocks do not say what level of heat creatures might have)
- Scale Armor (1) - Strong bonus since it stacks with "unarmoured" class features and all armor types alike
- Wings (2) - Fast fly speed. People keep trying a "clear radius" mitigator, I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, since it's not something any other flying creature in D&D requires, so is up to DM adjudication)
- Extra limbs (1) - versatile use - you could wield a sword and shield and hold a light source, arcane focus, have a hand free for somatic spellcasting and grappling and get an extra attack each round.
- Frenzy Virus (1) but needs adjustment. It's missing a saving throw DC. 5e doesn't do round counting like this (you instead repeat the saving throw each round... have a look at the spells in the PHB). Temporary ability score adjustments do not work well in 5e, this is what dis/advantage mechanic was introduced for. It's also not clear how often this feature can be used, my rating assumes that it's once before requiring a long rest.
- In conclusion, this race is overpowered (by 2 to 2.5 points using my rating system) Marasmusine (talk) 12:02, 18 July 2016 (MDT)
As per requested review:
- I notice the names were all roughly Germanic. You can include a line or two about that naming convention in that section
- Pollen scales is a bit vague still. I think it allows you to know the number of creatures, but not their exact location? The range is also a bit wide honestly, and sounds like a bit of a nightmare were you in a place with plenty of fauna.
- If you need a bonus action to activate your wings, there should be a way to retract this as well. Also, you shouldn't be able to hold anything or use your arms flying as it is described.
- Frenzy virus is strange in terms of not following 5e immunity by save rules, which last 24 hours and only require one success. This is probably better as a racial feat or a per-long-rest racial trait.--Yanied (talk) 09:05, 16 September 2021 (MDT)