Talk:End of the Year Fundraiser1
From D&D Wiki
Just an idea.
Perhaps maybe do another fund raiser when its tax return season. I am usualy broke until then, then sudenly I have extra cash. (if there is such a thing as extra.)--Mander 00:31, 14 December 2007 (MST)
- That would always be a possibility, seeing how no one has donated yet... However I don't think it's that big of deal. It does not cost too much to keep this site up (except the electricity bill... :)). --Green Dragon 20:24, 15 December 2007 (MST)
Ideas for Uses for the Donated Money?
Any ideas what we should do with the 105 donated dollars? --Green Dragon 12:13, 1 January 2008 (MST)
- Is D&D wiki alright for RAM? You could advertise on D&D sites... --Sam Kay 06:59, 2 January 2008 (MST)
- Hard to say what to do. You could wait for my NPC gen to be done and use that as a means to advertise... It shouldn't be too much longer - couple weeks at most. OGL books seem interesting, but I have been meaning to borrow some from a friend of mine that we call "the library" and transcribe them -- so there may be little point in buying certain ones. You obviously pay for your internet connection -- would you be able to increase your bandwidth for a year with the money? --Aarnott 08:47, 2 January 2008 (MST)
- What about using the money for more hardware? I know that $105 will not go far with regards to a server, but perhaps some hardware is needed? If not of course the advertising idea, though good just seems like a wast of money to me. People will probably not contribute enough to this site just from seeing the adds to make adds worth it. --sol 20:19, 5 January 2008 (MST)
- Bandwidth should not be an issue: this site uses 10GB a month, so we have quite a ways to go before that becomes a problem. Electrical costs are, of course, dependent on the amount of use this site gets, but I believe that something that would help out this site in a more direct manner would be better. — Blue Dragon (talk) 17:34, 6 January 2008 (MST)
- We could get a professional logo made... --Green Dragon 17:37, 6 January 2008 (MST)
- Do you really think that D and D wiki needs a professional logo? I think that the one now is fine. I say use it to pay for the electricity costs. Personally I think it was stupid to host a fundraiser before even thinking about why the money is necessarily.--sol 14:26, 7 January 2008 (MST)
- Personally, I'm for advertising ourselves. I think we could definatly get more people in thru it. -- Flession 22:02, 8 January 2008 (MST)
- I've just discovered D and D wiki and I think it is probably one of the best D and D sites around. I would suggest advertising. -- 123098zxcmnb 18:29, 10 January 2008 (MST)
- Yeah, advertising sounds good, since this is the best dnd site around. --184.108.40.206 16:23, 13 January 2008 (MST)
- Reply (trunc) - First off, if you would like a new professional logo, then save your money, and have someone volunteer *cough* to make it for you. You know, someone *cough* who is a designer who operates in the international and open-source markets. Maybe someone *cough* who has a company concept working on providing free and paid production and marketing resources, or who could *cough* market you through affiliated success. No one in particular, of course... (Green Dragon has my email). xidoraven studios is only a few months away from becoming a professional company, and it wouldn't hurt me to make a design for a good cause, and maybe help bring the D&D Wiki into the realm of potential future publication, since that is the goal of the WFR Guild anyways. See http://xidoraven.googlepages.com/xidoravenstudios for more info.
- Use your funds for what the site truly needs. If it doesn't need anything, put it down in the books, and consider the site's short-term and long-term goals. Get in touch with me, and we'll take care of it. -- xido 22:37, 13 January 2008 (MST)
- I have emailed xido about a logo... So, since a logo is no longer a problem, where should we advertise? Or should we just save up the money for a time when we need something a lot more expensive? --Green Dragon 13:53, 18 January 2008 (MST)
- I think that we should use the money for advertising because it would open the site up to new audiences. As for where to advertise, you can just use ads by Google. It would advertise on D$D related sites. --Silver Dragon 21:49, 21 January 2008 (MST)
- Also, please note that on the new Gleemax pages for D&D's 4e release, there is also a Wiki place-holder posted there as well. Something tells me that it would not only be in our best interests to duplicate work from here to there in small portions (or only revised/rated finalized portions), but also to advertise there, either in the wiki, the forums, both, or another venue. That does not often cost much. The price-tag-issue comes in when you want to purchase a higher search rating on Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc., or if you wanted to get in contact with Wizards.com with representation.
- Again, please don't waste your time. I am currently working with Wizards by email to come to a conclusion about how WFR Guild content can be published with the d20 brand licensing, as well as with related online Elftown & D&D Wiki content, and future potential multimedia programs and software. You have a marketer, designer, and entrepreneur in your midst. Always look before you leap. Again, please reconsider how best you would like to invest this money, if you must do so presently at all.
- Also, the new logo concept can be reviewed. I have pre-finalized it, and can upload it if you are satisfied. logo design draft -- xido 03:03, 23 January 2008 (MST)
←Reverted indentation to one colon
- Could you please supply a link to a page with a wiki-placeholder link? I, for some reason, cannot seem to find it. --Green Dragon 11:25, 23 January 2008 (MST)
- I'm not sure what you mean by placeholder, but I can send the links without coding:
- http://www.elftown.com/_xidoraven%20studios and  are the links (elftown.com/stuff/D%26D_logo-test.png)
- Also, this was just to see if this was what you were looking for, or if you wanted me to move on to the hanging sword and rack concept? -- xido 15:44, 23 January 2008 (MST)
- Ahhh, you got me all wrong :P. I was referring to the wiki thing on wizards you mentioned. Sorry about that. Also, a discussion about the D&D Wiki logo has begun on Talk:Main Page#New Logo. Sorry about that confusion. --Green Dragon 21:22, 23 January 2008 (MST)