Talk:Empusar (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
What, no bronze leg?
Glancing at it, it kinda seems like a soulknife/monk with less durability, some wacky 3/day spell-likes instead of wacky 1/day monk techniques, a Psychic Strike that instead boosts an ally's damage and is limited by uses/day, as well as some social skill bonuses. Anyway, what kind of action does Satanic Spite require, and do you multiply the extra damage? And do shields count as armor for the purposes of losing Profane Beauty bonuses? Do your claws gain iterative attacks? The text about two-weapon fighting with them seems to imply that they do.
It doesn't seem to ever become particularly good at melee combat (and it can't do much of anything against CR 3 shadows with its class abilities until level 4...). Satanic Spite doesn't have enough uses per day to really justify the fact that it only affects one attack per use and only averages about +17 damage at level 17. The spell-likes seem really gimmicky and not particularly effective until Heartthrob rolls around (Devil's Plaything would be a little better if it didn't only work on humanoids...and if more humanoids used two-handed weapons). It seems pretty weak overall and unsure of what it really wants to be.
I'd like it if you gave out some of the half-fiend template abilities and bonuses before level 20. I say the nail enhancement bonus progression should be pushed forward one or two levels to help with incorporeals, and the AC bonus could stand to be improved slightly (+1 at 1st, 4th, and every four levels afterwards). A bump in hit dice to d8 wouldn't be too bad, either. I mean, if clerics can have d8s for hit points...
By the way, you didn't describe the Malicious Embrace ability. Finfreeze 21:32, 29 May 2009 (MDT)
- Malicious Embrace was added; to be fair, it is identical to the succubus' energy drain ability, but some similarities to the succubus were inevitable. I also pushed the +1 enhancement bonus to level 3 (allowing the bonus to top out at +5 at level 19). Additionally, the claw attacks were meant to be iterative, since I felt that the system of only having two claw attacks in one round forever was rather weak for a PC. So instead, they function as weapons, with all the normal penalties for two-weapon fighting.
- I was originally going to have Satanic Spite be a sneak attack, but that seemed so trite that I decided to go with this instead. It is pretty similar to the soulknife's ability, but it seems to allow the empusar the opportunity to be a team player by reinforcing her allies' attacks instead of just her own. This is made feasible by the fact that it is an immediate action (good catch there, by the way), so it can be used even when it is not the empusar's turn.
- It's not the most combat-effective killing machine in the world, but that was not supposed to be its one and only purpose. Honestly, though, I'm not exactly sure what that purpose is. - ThunderGod Cid 06:16, 30 May 2009 (MDT)
More like a race?
I love the fact that you decided to make an empusa class, but it seems more like a race than a class--Storm Elf5 09:33, 30 May 2009 (MDT)
- Normally I might agree with you that the empusa would be a race, but I have to admit that the empusar is similar in name only and has no bearing on the class abilities (hence, as a previous commenter pointed out, no bronze leg). The class is based on Lust from the Fullmetal Alchemist mange/anime (the charcter in the picture), but even the resemblance there only goes so far as the Naraka Nails. - TG Cid 10:23, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
Power - 4/5 The class is slightly weaker than it should be, some abilities are really nice but it need a bit more damage potential. However I see many way to optimize it and make it level competitive. --Lord Dhazriel 00:56, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
- So, any suggestions in particular? An increase in the claw damage of Naraka Nails, or perhaps the benefits of Two-Weapon feats with the nails? Mabe increased damage from Satanic Spite, or make it usable once per round at will. Ideas would be helpful and very much appreciated. - TG Cid 06:38, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
Wording - 5/5 Pretty much clear. --Lord Dhazriel 00:56, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
Flavor - 5/5 I must admit I am extremely interested by the class, it quite original and it ability are entertaining. --Lord Dhazriel 00:56, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
I though, maybe you could add some warlock invocation... just a little suggestion, maybe it could be interesting. --Lord Dhazriel 00:56, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
- Would these be taken from the list of warlock invocations or made from a separate list? - TG Cid 06:38, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
I changed up the table to remove dead levels and increase its overall power (although I feel that the ones that only increase Satanic Spite might remain a little suspect). I also made Malicious Embrace a scaling ability (and considered changing the name to Kiss of Death, if anyone likes that better) that increases the number of negative levels it deals in a round, an idea I admittedly borrowed from the Medium class that I'm working on with Jota. Invocations to go with Lord Dhazriel's suggestion might come later, but at the moment I don't really have enough invocations to make that sufficiently workable. - TG Cid 10:31, 1 July 2009 (MDT)
first at all, I'd like to congratulate you for this very attractive class. I was looking for a succub like class for an evil team and I find yours.
But my guess is the Satanic Spite description is a little fuzzy, we don't have any indications about range and how this power is manisfesting itself. Does the empusar have to see the target ? It is somatic or verbal ?
Again congrats for this amazing work.
- I'm glad you like it. I have made changes to remedy your concerns; the range of the effect is essentially limitless (usuable as long as the empusar can see the target), but due to the circumstantiality of the effect I don't think it drastically affects its power. I hope you get good use out of it. - TG Cid 11:29, 16 October 2009 (MDT)
Power - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5 I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
Wording - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5 I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
Formatting - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5 I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
Flavor - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5 I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- Wow, and I mean wow. You didn't even try to rate my class. Well, I suppose that I might be grateful that you didn't given what you said about Rith's Threat. I would delete the whole section but maybe, just maybe, someone else may be kind enough to come along and actually fill it in. - TG Cid 20:17, 8 December 2009 (MST)
It can be SLIGHTLY more powerful, and more flavor would be nice.
I noticed on April 7th 2010 you made a few additions to this class. I was wondering why? Can you explain to me how your edits complement and strengthen this class? I noticed you just added a few things you thought would look pretty and then left without saying a word. Maybe you could enlighten me as to why an Empusar needs "Stealth", "Acrobatics", and a floating disc thingy?
Hopefully you can find the time to explain your changes before they get reverted. I'm not being mean, It's just rude to edit and then run away. I look forward to hearing from you. --Jay Freedman 04:41, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
- Nevermind, I just noticed that all your edits refer to 4th Edition material. I will undo your edits immediately. This is not a 4th Edition Class and should not contain 4e skills and features. --Jay Freedman 04:54, 8 April 2010 (UTC)i know,
Just to let you know, i love the empusar. It makes the perfect fit for my vampire. I think making it a class is actually better than making it a race,as you can know develop and hone your heritage as you develop. Once again, thanks, can't tell you how frustrating it gets when you find Lamia steals all the spotlight, bout time empusa got some attention.
Poor little sun-dweller out past curfew. And to think, you might have survived if it wasn't so close to suppertime.
Dear Lord Arukado. April 11th 2010.
Care to tell me why you added the edits you did. Martial Weapons, Skill changes, and Class Feature additions. It sure seems like a lot of new stuff and you didn't even mention why you added it? Hopefully you can find the time to enlighten the community as to why this class needed changing. I'm not being mean, It's just rude to edit and then run away. I look forward to hearing from you. --Jay Freedman 05:19, 12 April 2010 (UTC)
Power - 5/5 I give this class a 4 out of 5 because Extremely Well-Balanced. --126.96.36.199 20:01, 19 February 2011 (MST)
Wording - 5/5 I give this class a 5 out of 5 because Well-Written and nigh-perfect grammar and spelling. --188.8.131.52 20:01, 19 February 2011 (MST)
Flavor - 4.5/5 I give this class a 4.5 out of 5 because Interesting idea for a class. --184.108.40.206 20:01, 19 February 2011 (MST)
Makes up for the lack of damage
The Idea for the shift mutations is for the lack of damage here it makes it more umm versatile i guess u could say
and the skills that lord put on here r pretty good so i brought them back i mean it just makes her a better support team player and think about it who does she represent lust from FMA i mean come on the transmutation thing works and love follows yea same ;)
- I'm totally going to ignore the fact that these changes were made without the consent of the author because I honestly don't particularly care about this class. -TG Cid 10:27, 4 March 2011 (MST)
- Given that this is a wiki site, there is no "author" from whom you must first get approval to make changes. That being said, this seems to be the same IP that keeps adding in the stupid 4e rules so I rolled it all back anyway. If there was anything good in there add it back, but for goodness sake stop changing the same thing that's been reverted 6,000,000 times or I'll just lock the page and we'll be done with it once and for all. JazzMan 11:58, 4 March 2011 (MST)
May i ask why u put this is the same IP that keeps adding stuff the IP ur referring to is 220.127.116.11 and mine is 18.104.22.168 so no we are not the same not trying to be rude here either but yea ;) granted that we do have the same 5 #'s and thunder god that was a little rude but I also dont fail at English but i understand what your meaning here and so i dont get in trouble any more i will do this to make some of you happy still not being rude i know it sounds it though (>)> on the next topic
see if you guys like this for this class for making up on the damage
This is to help on the damage factor for this class and for being a team player
Shift Mutation: Your seductive ways has over time let you be able to learn how to mutate a growth in your own body, granting you a Shift Mutation from any given Enemies. Once selected the Mutations are permanent, and can be used. Upon attaining 4th level and every four levels thereafter you may select a new Mutation. The same Mutation may not be picked twice. The Mutations are as follows:
Aberration Mutation — Darkvision 60 Feet, Detect magic
Animal Mutation — Scent, Tremorsense
Celestial Mutation — telepathy 100 ft, Speak with Animals
Construct Mutation — immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any form-altering attack, Damage Reduction 10/Adamantine
Dragon Mutation — Immune to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects, Frightful Presence
Elemental Mutation — Not subject to critical hits, flanking, or stunning
Fiend Mutation — Damage reduction 10/cold iron,resistance to acid,cold,fire/10
Fey Mutation — Tongues, does not age
Giant Mutation — +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 HD, +1 Natural Armor
Humanoid Mutation — Bonus Feat, Favored Enemy
Magical Beast Mutation — Immune to death effects, Low-light Vision
Monsterous Humanoid Mutation — Regeneration, Over sized Weapon
Ooze Mutation — Acidosis, Acid Damage
Outsider Mutation — Does not need to eat or sleep, True Seeing
Plant Mutation — Immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Undead Mutation — Immune to fatigue and exhaustion effects, Does not need to breath
Vermin Mutation — Immune to poison, and disease, Damage Reduction 5/ bludgeoning