Talk:Boon of the Undying (5e Epic Boon)
From D&D Wiki
Review as Requested
OK, I can review this, although I think it's just a little silly. Epic boons, by their very nature, are an entirely DM optional component of extremely high level play. They exist exclusively to give reason for max-level characters to continue adventuring. As such, there is no justifiable reason for there to be any real power cap on what an epic boon can contain.
That said, I do feel like giving players a free respawn mechanic is a touch OP. The characters are still mortals. On the other hand, I can also see a god that thinks of a hero as their champion just not allowing that champion to die. As such, I think it's fine. There's no mechanic that a player can use to get this feat without the DM foisting it upon them, so this is one of those rare occasions where, I guess, the existence of the DM does justify the content as being balanced. --Kydo (talk) 14:29, 17 December 2018 (MST)
- I really don't think this needs balance simply because of what Kydo says, "the existence of the DM does justify the content as being balanced."
- Only a DM can give this out, so it serves as an idea for a DM. I like the idea of being able to give immortality/respawn for an epic level. Would I? I dunno, but the idea/option is neat to have around. ~ BigShotFancyMan (talk) 08:37, 17 December 2018 (MST)
- The trouble with that, and maybe it was Guy that made this point at one time, is that the Epic Boons aren't even balanced between themselves. 40 hit points on Boon, proficiency in all skills, +10 to stealth and undetectable by divination?. How do you even know what to compare it to? (I feel like I am going to argue myself into thinking Homebrew Epic Boons are pointless since they are DM driven and given) ~ BigShotFancyMan (talk) 09:55, 17 December 2018 (MST)
- I’ve said before, precedent is Love/Hate for me.
- I, of course, disagree because epic level characters have means for resurrection via multiple sources. I would say strip this of the fat (the other bullet points) and the radiant fluff (arbitrary) and mirror it off ’’true resurrection’’ and a cooldown of long rest (similar to other boons with cooldowns). ~ BigShotFancyMan (talk) 19:00, 17 December 2018 (MST)