Talk:3.5e Open Game Content
From D&D Wiki
Initial Comment removed as it broke the behavioral policy on solicitation
- D&D wiki has been around for four years. How long as the Grand OGL Wiki been in existence? Our site is not mimicing anyone, and actually came abour originally as a way to keep material that was "lost" in the muck of the Wizards of the Coast forums from being gone forever. 01:03, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- The Grand OGL Wiki was started in September 2008 as a place to collect OGC from participating publisher. If you want to copy that material over here feel free to, it just seems like a waste of time when a pointer to the content on the GOW would suffice. —Mark 2010-02-20 18:21
- We had an edit conflict. I had actually just wrote that research indicated a late 08 site creation for you. We have been around since February of 2006 and we came from WotC forums. We've had a wiki spin off of us recently, and I feel confident enough to say that users of both sites are not intending to mimic your site. This page existed two years + before yours came into existence, so we just can't even begin to understand the mimic statement. (Using the same logic we could argue - why create your page at all when ours already existed - as well as the d20srd page??). We just happen to share the same content in different ways is all.
- Actually, it seems like we are aiming at two different audiences. The content on this page is for OGL D&D material, where it seems your site aims towards all games published under the OGL - if I am reading correctly. Admittingly D&D is a big one, but this page's contents are D&D-specific. We also have a D20 Modern page for it's MSRD material. 01:25, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- Note to other readers: Through a twitter discussion we realized we had a mis-understanding. Seems it is actually just that we share a contributor. This page was created before the other site existed, but a shared contributor sent in info to both sites (at least thats what it looks like). However, I've still removed comments from a different contributor to this OGL site from the main page as it was, well, rude and claimed something that just isn't true. 01:33, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- Steve Russell here, no I have never contributed tot his page, the page in question is a copy paste looting. Since the content exists no where else except in the world, and I did not post it here and neither did Mark, at best its poor form at worst its insulting. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Steve russell (talk • contribs)2010-02-20 18:40. Please sign your posts.
- Hello Steve. Once again, let us get our facts straight and remain civil. Our website existed two years before yours, and this page some nine months. The edit in question that added the content is what is recent. Under further inspection, it is apparent that the edit in question was added by our admin, Green Dragon. If the content was OGC, then it could of been pulled from a simple OGC search of some sort. Obviously we want to eventually include all that content. Additionally, being that it is OGL, I do not see why it is even an issue. 01:42, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- Summary: the user noticed that we had a link, a dead red link to a non-existent page and their first edits were extremely rude and hostile, more so on the part of Steve here. Partially understandable since he didn't understand our system or such, but still bad. The way they worded their first edits made it seem like a website that came years after us tried to claim our entire site copied theirs, which just isn't true. Because of these initially very rude comments, it was hard to gather exactly what was wrong. Anyways, once finally understanding, I just removed the link as it was dead and had been pulled from a OGC list. Though, if we kept it and made the page it would of been perfectly legal to list it since it was released as OGC, I was nice. I informed the user I did this, and then the user said he wasn't hostile, that hostility would of been a "cease order to shut down our hosting". It is sad that such hostilities came from what basically amounted to free publicity, as our site is extremely more well known than theirs. Furthermore, our content is wholly different from theirs. I tried to learn more but could not for the life of me understand their navigation system (which perhaps gave me a feel of how they didn't understand ours enough to create a page that didn't exist in order to ask for it to be deleted).
- Conclusion: I was beyond nice and understanding and the one user left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm not afraid to say that. I could of waited to let an admin handle it but I tried to help as I was online, and an admin may even revert my edit. To come here claiming that our site (and by proxy even the transientwiki) was just here to mimic them is ridiculous. You know what, I created a myspace page but other guys named Hooper have myspace pages so I'm going to go be rude to them for being mimics....... 02:23, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- I agree with Sledged, to get angry and argue that we're looting when it can be argued their entire site looted (though I wouldn't argue that, I'm just saying it uses the same logic) is insane. 15:21, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- One can distribute the names of publishers to the public. With regard to other things please see Talk:Open Game License v1.0a#Attribution in Copyright Notice. --Green Dragon 21:55, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
Sword & Sorcery World of Warcraft RPG
Is this site interested in the Sword & Sorcery World of Warcraft RPG? It is based off 3.5 and is covered under the OGL. Master K 10:42, 1 March 2010 (UTC)
- OGL? Sure. Please feel free to add it (starting here - or you can start on the Publication List) and add the appropriate templates to designate who the content is from, what it is licensed under, etc. --Green Dragon 04:55, 2 March 2010 (UTC)
Is there even a slayers guide to female gamers or a slayers guide to rules lawyers? TThat just doesn't seem right.
Ok, I seriously doubt that there is really a book called "The Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers". Anyone want to show some proof, or did some sexist @#$&% of a vandal put that in there? -YBB aka 188.8.131.52 08:57, 13 March 2011 (MDT)
- Proof that the slayer's guide to female gamers exists. Feel free to shake your head at humanity. --Badger 13:01, 13 March 2011 (MDT)