Talk:Demonic Knight (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Fixing Up this Class
I see that this class has been marked for deletion. I'm not the creator but I think it's really a cool class, and I'm going to do my best to fix it up. I'm gonna pop up a variant of this class later tonight if nobody is opposed to it. I'll name it Demonic Knight 2nd Variant when it goes up!
- I would ask that you refrain from making an entirely separate page, and that you instead seek to improve this one to the point where it is no longer deserving of the deletion template. I would also note that this class is itself a copy of the Chaos Knight (5e Class) class, and has yet to be sufficiently differentiated from the first. --Nuke The Earth (talk) 14:10, 28 January 2021 (MST)
- Please note that if the class is not significantly differentiated from the Chaos Knight (5e Class) class within the allotted timeframe, it will be deleted. If you cannot make significant changes within that timeframe, but still wish to work on the class, you may request that the page be moved to your userspace as a subpage. Please remember to sign your posts. --Nuke The Earth (talk) 17:29, 28 January 2021 (MST)
Hey, I see this is a big project for just one person. If you would like any help or need someone to do something for it just ask me! (User Talk: Firerealms13yk) 12:58, 10 February 2021 (MST)
Hey I appreciate the offer! Right now I'm balancing somethings before I upload them, so I'm fine as far as creating features is concerned. If you want to help with grammar and formatting stuff though I would appreciate it! --Delta1138 (talk) 17:12, 10 February 2021 (MST)
Alright. I notice something about the “King of Darkness” feature. By equal to your movement speed does that mean base movement speed or current speed, does it also raise when you get a higher movement speed? --Firerealms13yk (talk) 00:16, 12 February 2021 (MST)
Critiques on the Current State
Well, this thing seems to be coming along pretty well now, nice job. Just a few concerns.
- Using the Wizard spell list seems like an odd choice. From what I can guess, this class is kinda like a melee centric bladelock, where you’ve forged a pact with whatever got you the weapon. It might just be me, but maybe using the Sorcerer or Warlock list would seem more thematic.
- What happens if your Demonic Weapon is destroyed?
- Dexterity based Demonic Knights have to wait until 7th level until they’re allowed to take a ranged demonic weapon, and have to take a specific subclass. When they do, it’s also objectively worse than normal demonic weapons, and still requires ammunition(petty, sure, but that means the weapon can become irrelevant/useless if you run out).
Hi thanks alot for the feedback, I wanna respond to a few of your points.
- The Wizard Spell list is a placeholder for now, I'm currently making a Demonic Knight Specific spell list. I want to make it less restrictive then Eldritch Knight, since having a few utility spells like Detect Magic or Detect Thoughts (which pairs really well with torture tools) is more appealing then just having a million offensive spells.
- Currently I have it written so that the Demonic Weapon cannot be damaged while you are alive. I suppose there is a bit of an issue that if you are killed and your weapon is destroyed, and then you are brought back to life by something like True Resurrections, you would lose the weapon. I'll probably change the wording on that matter.
- This is an issue that I had not considered. I know that ranged weapons can be broken in certain settings but I think you are right. I'm currently brainstorming a few Ideas on how to fix this, specifically revolving around ammunition. --Delta1138 (talk) 15:53, 12 April 2021 (MDT)
- Really depends on the ranged weapon. Non-SRD? Yeah, then you’re dealing with firearms, and that’s an issue, but longbows and heavy crossbows are far from broken. As for ammunition, “whenever you would use a demonic weapon that requires ammunition, it magically generates a new piece of ammunition when you go to fire it, which disappears at the end of your next turn”, this would do the trick. Good luck with that subclass feature, if you decide to go about changing up the ranged weapons. --SwankyPants (talk) 16:11, 12 April 2021 (MDT)
I feel like if the class got anything else at 18th level it would feel a little bit bloated. I've been considering giving the class proficiency in another saving throw but even that feels like too much. Thanks for the advice on the ammunition part though!
- Oh, I see. The lore on this thing had been missing for a while, and suddenly I just got ideas for it, tried to stick to some kinda source material. Feel free to change what you want, just spitballing ideas. --SwankyPants (talk) 12:04, 14 April 2021 (MDT)