Talk:Blood Caster (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
I love the addition of another spellcasting class that uses its health as a resource, but I would like to say that the blood mage variant has a custom spell list and can only cast spells from that spell list due to the numerous Wizard spells that are broken. Here is a short list of some of the problematic spells and some explanation behind them.
- Any PC that multiclasses into this class at pretty much any level can take shield which makes you almost always take less damage by casting it.
- The same could be said of absorb elements (XGtE pp 150) for elemental damage, the spell can greatly increase your survivability and make you deal more damage although it comes up much less as much at lower levels
- The repeated casting of misty step and mirror image is overpowered/provides far too much and again PC's only need to take 3 levels into this class to gain them and the spells listed above
- There are several other spells such as fireball and melf's minute meteors (spell from XGtE) are too powerful through their repeated casting
- wish(you can cast regenerate/heal on yourself among other things), power word kill, and meteor swarm are also all extremely broken you can get them.
Also, you can only cast 1 spell on a turn(see casting a spell PHB pp. 202, "A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.") making the Multispell feature an extremely powerful feature that break the rules of spellcasting(the same could be said of Absolute Focus as well, but to a lesser degree since it is a capstone feature).--Blobby383b (talk) 08:47, 20 February 2018 (MST)
- First of all thank you for the feedback even though this class is still in creation! Let me try to adress some of what you said
- To the spells. I will add a custom spell list but I will probably need checking as to what spells are fine to include and what spells are not
- Next up the Multispell feature. It should then be replaced. Do you have an idea as to what to replace it with? I will see whether I can come up with anything but right now nothing strikes me directly
- One final note. Isn't the multiclassing into this class just as strong as multiclassing into the wizard or am I missing something here?
- Thank you once again and I hope to hear from you soon --Asriel (talk) 09:42, 20 February 2018 (MST)
- Yeah the spell list can be done in due time, but I at least wanted to bring the issue up
- Maybe something along the lines of you may spend a hit die as a bonus action to increase your Spell attack modifier and Spell save DC by 1 until the start of your next turn or your use of blood magic has irreversibly changed your body, and made your eyes sensitive to even the faintest magical energy. You are permanently under the effects of the detect magic spell without need for concentration, among a bunch of other options could replace the Multispell feature.
- The strength of multiclassing into this class largely depends on your level and your class before hand. Martial classes get the most out of multiclassing into this class as they can cast more spells than they would normally be able to cast by multiclassing into another spellcasting class but at the cost of hp and presumably for a bad spell list at least for a martial class(no healing and no spells that increase their martial prowess). Spellcasters may want to multiclass into this class as well, but the benefits are much smaller(they can already cast spells and they have a lower hp total). At lower levels, taking 1 level in this class is useful but potential dangerous. At higher levels, multiclassing into this class is slightly less dangerous, but situational more useful(you can cast more low level spells that are mostly irrelevant at higher levels, and the scaling hp cost of spells prevents it from being overpowered).--Blobby383b (talk) 10:28, 20 February 2018 (MST)
- Your explanation are clearing things up very well for me, thank you! I'll consider something like you suggested for the multispell feature though I'll most likely go for the second thing you suggested.
- As for the spells I gotta admit you're taking into consideration so much that I didn't even come to think about. I'll try to keep most of it in mind but I doubt that I'll be able to. I also saw that you created the Blood Mage, Variant (?) so I wanted to ask you about the cost of spells and the size of the Blood Fountain - I've tried to put this class to use in a campaign but notices very quickly that it runs out of hp and with that out of spells to cast too quickly. Since it is a full spellcaster spells are the only fighting and interaction source it has and for that it just looses the possibility to use them too quickly. Right now if one were to only play the Blood Caster everything would be fine but as you mentioned if a con based class multiclasses into this it probably turns out to have access to too many spells for one level. How can that be fixed?—The preceding unsigned comment was added by Asriel (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- I originally had a custom spell cost table with every level of spell costing a differing amount of hp, but it close to impossible to balance without a huge amount of testing. The strength of using your hp for spellcasting class lies in the fact that you can cast more spells than other spellcasters at lower levels and at higher levels(even just 5th level) you deal far more damage every turn with your spells than any other spellcaster. This is of course at the cost of your hp.
- As for multiclassing don't worry about it, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't give the class spells that boost their martial prowess and the spell costs scale with your level. This class, like every other class with multiclassing, will simply be stronger for some PC's than others.--Blobby383b (talk) 15:34, 20 February 2018 (MST)
- I have changed the multispell feature into what you suggested now and added most of the missing parts. Only thing that is left to do now is creating the spell list.
- For starters do you have a spell list I could orientate on? I made this class be connected to a Wizard because I hated that there were so little spell casters using intelligence. I also like the variety of spells wizards have but I understand that many of them might be too powerful. However in later levels is it potentially allowed to access stronger spells since one would have to spend a lot of levels into this class to access them? --Asriel (talk) 08:17, 21 February 2018 (MST)
- You should mainly take from the socerer spell list and add any other spells from other spell lists(mainly wizard) you like. Besides the few 9th level spells I listed above, there shouldn't be any more higher level spells that are too powerful, but both use your judgement and I can check up on it once the spell list is finished if you wish.
- Also, I would suggest increases the time it takes for Blood Fountain to disappear to make the class more consistent.--Blobby383b (talk) 09:58, 21 February 2018 (MST)