Spells (Years of Gold)
From D&D Wiki
Remember that in the interest of (more-or-less) balanced gameplay, the Dungeon Master can ban any spell, even those not mentioned here. Don't take it as an attack at yourself if a great spell is taken from you; rather, the game demands it. Dungeon Masters should pay special care to all instant-kill or instant-command effects. A good way to balance these spells is to add a further level of protection (needing to succeed on a melee touch attack, more saving throws etc.)
Here are listed those spells found in Player's Handbook I and Player's Handbook II that are modified or revamped in some way. For spells from other sources and books, consult your Dungeon Master. Most spells have been modified to be more in line with the feel and flavor of Pansaer, and to be more mechanically interesting.
- Alter Self: The level for this spell is Wiz 3 (sorcerers do not gain alter self in Years of Gold); the duration is 1 minute/level.
- Black Tentacles: A character who succeeds on a Reflex save doesn't have to attempt grappling with the tentacles (save repeated whenever the tentacles would attack).
- Blink: Your character alternate between various states of existence instead of blinking in and out of the Ethereal Plane; you can't walk through solid objects while blinking.
- Charm <foo> spells: A creature threatened by you or by your allies gains a +10 bonus on its saving throw instead of a +5 bonus; the duration for all these spells is 1 hour/level.
|Wizards fight with their minds, not their bodies.|
- Destruction: Range touch; requires melee touch attack; only deals 5d6 points of damage upon successful saving throw
- Energy Drain and Enervation: These spells allow a Fortitude saving throw to avoid gaining negative levels.
- Fly: The level for this spell is Wiz 5 (sorcerers do not gain fly in Years of Gold); the duration is 1 round/level.
- Gaseous Form: The level for this spell is Wiz 4 (sorcerers do not gain gaseous form in Years of Gold); the duration is 1 round/level.
- Harm: Deals 5 damage per caster level; maximum damage 75 at 15th level.
- Heal and Mass Heal: Heals 5 hit points per caster level; maximum number of hit points healed 75/100 at 15th/20th level, respectively.
- Implosion: Only targets one creature.
- Levitate: The level for this spell is Wiz 3 (sorcerers do not gain levitate in Years of Gold); the duration is 1 round/level.
- Mage's Disjunction: Permanent magic items are suppressed (function as mundane items) for 1d4 rounds instead of permanently turned normal; permanent magic effects are not affected; permanent magic effects and spells are not affected.
- Mirror Image: The level for this spell is Wiz 3 (sorcerers do not gain mirror image in Years of Gold); the duration is 1 round/level.
- Resist Energy: The value of the energy resistance granted is not increased at 7th or 11th level.
- Shapechange: The duration is 1 round/level.
- Summon Monster <foo> spells: Only monsters that exist in the setting, that the caster has studied closely and that have no forbidden abilities are allowed.
- Time Stop: Lasts for 1d4 rounds.
- All spells of the Polymorph subschool: Can only change to a form that is intricately known to caster - for example, a caster that has slain and consecutively studied the corpse of a stone giant can turn into one, but a caster who has merely seen one can't. Caster can have previous experiences with creatures in the limits of realism, but for a more uncommon form an appropriate Knowledge check (DC 20 + new form's HD) is required, and can be attempted only once.
Here are listed those spells found in Player's Handbook I and Player's Handbook II that are modified or revamped in some way. For spells from other sources and books, consult your Dungeon Master. These spells have been removed because their flavor is impossible to interpret in Years of Gold or because some key part of them (for example all alignment-referencing spells) is missing from the setting.
- Dominate <foo> spells
- Magic Circle against Chaos, Magic Circle against Evil, Magic Circle against Good and Magic Circle against Law
can be found
in the setting - just not the
- Teleport <foo> spells
- CelerityPHB2, Greater CelerityPHB2 and Lesser CelerityPHB2
- Dimension HopPHB2, Dimension ShufflePHB2 and Dimension StepPHB2
- Swift EtherealnessPHB2
- Invest Heavy ProtectionPHB2, Invest Light ProtectionPHB2 and Invest Moderate ProtectionPHB2