MSRD Talk:Modern System Reference Document
From D&D Wiki
MSRD To Do List
- Add Wikipedia references for real equipment.
- Add cross reference links to every page.
- Add anchors or L5's to text.
- Identify OGL content that can be transcribed onto the wiki.
- Split up MSRD:Magic and create individual entries for all spells in the MSRD. --Mkill 17:19, 5 August 2007 (MDT)
- Change all links to "MSRD:PAGE NAME" instead of "PAGE NAME (MSRD)" --Sabre070 03:59, 11 November 2008 (MST)
The primary port of D20 Modern is now done. I converted the RTF to HTML using OpenOffice. I used JEdit to do all the processing from HTML to MediaWiki. (Some files were too big for my script, exceeding the 32mb heap size. I had to split those files.) Tables should meet our current standards, all being class=d20. I improved format retention in the tables, keeping far more of their original text-alignments. I merged some material together, particularly classes, feats, spells, powers, and skills.
All in all, the port took five part-time days. There is far less material here than for the SRD.
There's still lots to be done. More articles needs to be merged, especially equipment. Some articles can be split. Hierarchies in the articles need to be checked as they did not port correctly. All cross-referencing needs to happen.--Dmilewski 12:38, 2 January 2007 (MST)
- It looks good, and I hope you got it all done in the planned time frame, which was before your wife got back :). Thanks for doing this again, it will help D&D Wiki quite a lot. For a first pass it looks very good. --Green Dragon 16:31, 2 January 2007 (MST)
- I'm glad we finally got this off the ground. I didn't have the programming experience to do it; in any case, major kudos to Dmilewski. I'll be gone a lot the next week, but after that I'll be glad to help where I can. --EldritchNumen 14:31, 3 January 2007 (MST)
Organize the classes and get them into sensible categories; break down the classes page into Base Classes, Advanced Classes, and Prestige Classes.
- Break down long pages into separate entries: Combat, Creatures,
Skills, Feats, Occupations, Weapons, FX Abilities (each spell, power, incantation needs its own page...), Environment and Hazards, Organizations, Science?, Space, Time, and Dimension Travel, Cybernetics, etc. We'll start with those, more when those all finally get done (could be a while). I'll prioritize by what will get used the most (e.g. feats, skills, weapons).
- Once the broad pages (skills, feats, etc.) are broken down, break down those pages into even smaller (individualized) pages (one per weapon, feat, skill, etc.). Feats,
Skills, Cybernetics, Weapons...
—EldritchNumen 15:36, 6 March 2007 (MST)
- First up for break down: General Rules: Combat, Vehicle Combat, Starship Combat.
- Then, For Players: Feats, ... –EldritchNumen 12:09, 31 October 2007 (MDT)
Enlarging Weapons and Combined Purchase DC
Sorry if here this isn't the right place, but i need help in these 2 topics:
- I don't find anything (except Micro/Smaller Gadget) about changing the size of weapons. Damage changes as in "Normal" DND? Only Meele Weapons change as "Normal" and Ranged change another way? What is the Purchase DC Modifier? (Creating a Colossal Robbie on PL 7, Biomorph b/c i don't need it to be intelligent, just strong) and want to find what weapons i should use on it, i know i will use Meele Weapons for the huge Strength bonus (as hitting someone with a Colossal Stun Baton, that deals 6d6 Base Damage if i use DND Rules (1d2>1d3>1d4>1d6>1d8>2d6/1d10>3d6/8>4d6/8>6d6/8>8d6/8) with a +18 Str Bonus (Colossal Biomorph) (+34/29 Attack as +24 BAB, -8 Size and +18 Str.) inflicts 36 Average Damage, and Fort. DC 46 is Almost Impossible to archive so opp would always be stunned and get killed without able of doing anything), but i also want Ranged Weapons.) can i use the Mecha List for Ranged Weapons? There a Purchase DC Adjustment for using on Robots? Any other Difference?
- How you calculate Combined Purchase DCs? how i can get the base DC of a Spaceship (for giving it a another engine and other Base-DC dependencies)?
Please Help, Arielby 09:09, 7 February 2008 (MST)
- The short answer is: suck it up and make it up.
- The long answer is that you want to model the economy. How is this done?
- For damage, I would use the D&D system. This is simpler. The trick here is that this should also increase the purchase DC. In d20 Modern, you are paying for performance. There's no "trick" to getting better stuff at an earlier level. You pay for the level of performance that you get. So the goal here is to determine the appropriate DC modifier for any item, and what that gets you. I don't know the answer to that question. The best that you can do is to look at existing items and adjust appropriately.
- As for your starship, that is a plot device. I suggest giving upgrade options by level. The players can choose which upgrades that they want. --Dmilewski 06:58, 8 February 2008 (MST)
PL-8 at Space Gunnery
I did see some problems with the PL8 Starship Weapons:
* All weapons, bar the Maser Cannons (Light, Heavy and Auto), the EMP Cannon, the Mine, the
Missiles and Sliver Gun (to some extent, as he the first S/A weapon) is a downgraded
version of its PL7 Counterpart, as i did say in MSRD Talk:Starship about the Zero
Bore, that way the other weapons are (it is the same at PL8 other weapons at [[Future
Equipment]] bar the Grenades, the Beam Sword and the "Nonlethal" Cryonic Rifle are), and i
don't think them should be.
* The Automaser looks like a badder Colossal "Autoed" Light Maser (PDC from 40 to 43 (or zero if you can make the repair check) is usually better then changing Licensed to Restricted License),and for a PDC higher by 7 (4 if you can make the repair check) you can increase RU by 4sq. and damage by 4d8.
* The EMP Cannon looks broken. Well, PDC 41 and prevents opponent from moving/firing next turn (except if the effect only works when he deals damage, but that don't prevent Firelinks), so Ace Gunner+Firelink+Imp. Targeting (+5 Attack if main, +0 if secondary) does alot of trouble as only fighters have Defense bigger then 15, and 2 Firelinked EMPs with 2 Ace Gunners (Main+sec) have 37% of hitting a fighter, 68.5% of hitting Colossal with an Ace Pilot so everything else (bar Ace-Piloted Mechas with 25+ Defense with Bastion Shield and Mark V Deflection) is a piece of cake - 87.5% of hitting Destroyers, Frigates, Battleships, Fleet Carriers, Battlecruisers, Dreadnoughts and Star Carriers (Expert/Colossal) and 94.75% of hitting everything else (Trained/Colossal).
* The Missiles seem to have a problem: Both have the same Purchase DC and the Stronger one can
be placed on anything, plus i don't think the Starload Missile "The starload warhead is
essentially an improved version of the PL 7 mass reaction missile" should be a cheaper
version of the Mass Reaction Missile that can be used by non-Colossal Craft and the Nova
Burst "The nova burst warhead generates an incredible gravitational force that compresses normal matter into an incredibly dense mass, which then explodes in a colossal detonation" missile to be a downgraded (cheaper by 1 but this don't matter to anyone) version of the Plasma Missile.
Plus, i say the PL9 Null Mine is weaker and more costly version of the PL8 Zero-Point Mine, has
he deals 5d% (275) less damage, and even at PL9, as i think, no type of material with hardness
275 has been invented, and Nature didn't create anything with THAT amount of hardness (IIRC)
Sometimes, the text appears in an orange box, how to deal with this? does, but also
prevents me from using <br> tags (he don't accept enter for an odd reason)
- Discussion moved from User talk:Green Dragon/Archive 18#MSRD Cleanup. --Green Dragon 13:58, 1 January 2011 (MST)
Hey. I think EldritchNumen is the "official" go-to guy for the MSRD, but I think he's (semi)retired, so here I am. I use the MSRD all the time, and think it could benefit from some changes, namely wikilinks to other MSRD articles, especially the skills and feats. I wouldn't mind working on this project, but obviously all of the pages are locked. Where do you think I should go to start/discuss this project? --JazzMan 19:24, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- Is there anyone left who's in control of the d20 Modern side of things anymore? I posted this almost a week ago, but I don't think anyone noticed. There are some things that need cleaned up, and I would love to help out but 95% of it is locked. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to turn this into this. Or at a minimum, clear out all the typos. If there's anything I can do to help, or if there's someone else I should talk to, let me know. --JazzMan 20:54, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
- Well that would need to be discussed before changing with someone who knows D20 Modern better. Or if you would not mind explaining it a bit more (since both the links you supplied are from a subpage of your username - or do you mean just adding links to the article?). Do you see what I mean?
- And, if you want to go through and add a few things throughout the MSRD and clean things up I would be more then willing to give you temporary admin rights for you to work a bit on that. Let me know please. --Green Dragon 06:29, 14 February 2010 (UTC)
- First of all, thanks for fixing those other links.
- Second, sorry about the confusion. I'm not trying to change wording or anything, just clean up some typos and make the pages more navigable. That page in my subspace is just a random page from the MSRD that I copy/pasted there to give you an example of what I want to do. If you look at the diffs, you can see that the only thing I did was add wikilinks. (I had to do it in my userspace because I couldn't actually edit the article in question). As it is now, none of the pages have interwiki links, so if you are reading, for example, a class description and it references a feat, you have to go back up to the main MSRD page then navigate to the feat page then find your feat. I would just like to make the feat a link so all you'd have to do is just click it.
- If you're comfortable giving me temporary admin rights then I'm more than willing to help out. It might take a while, though, since there are a lot of pages! --JazzMan 13:48, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- I think WotC might prefer it if you purchased the book. 184.108.40.206 00:36, 20 September 2012 (MDT)
- I do have it already, but it would be handy to have while, idk, on the internet. And if it's about it not being OGL stuff, I don't think D20 Future was OGL MSRD or whatever. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- I just checked my copy to be sure, and it says that there is no OGC contained within, so unfortunately we can't support any of it. If you are using some of the rules in your CS, it should be ok to describe the rules without actually copying them. For instance: "The Fallout Campaign Setting uses the Trade Unit (TU) system from d20 Apocalypse. Instead of items being traded using a system of currency (gold coins, paper money, etc), they are traded directly for one another. Every item is worth a certain number of TUs, which represents its trading power." Something like that should allow someone without access to the book to use your campaign, but without crossing over into any copyrighted content. JazzMan 08:12, 22 September 2012 (MDT)
Cybernetics in 4th Edition
I've been looking through the rules for Cybernetic Enhancements and Cybernetic Replacements to useful in my campaign, and need help converting them to work in 4th Edition. --ReavanKnight (talk) 19:02, 31 August 2014 (MDT)