Wondrous Item, artifact (requires attunement)
The Wayfinder is a compass formed from a fragment of a soul. It has the following effects:
- You are always under the effects of the find the path spell.
- Your ability scores cannot be decreased.
- If you die, you return to life in the Shadowfell with nothing but a +1 shortsword and the Wayfinder. Also, when you are ressurected in this way, you have 1 level in a random class. You can still have up to 20 levels in your original classes. If the random class is your original class, then you become level 1 in your original class, and all your levels are moved to 1 other class that is also randomly determined. If you die again, your levels revert to normal, and you get 1 level in a random class all over again.
- While holding the Wayfinder, you can ask it to give you a cleric spell. You can specify. The Wayfinder can give you up to 9 levels of spell a day, and any unused spells from this feature disappear at each dawn.
- If you are attuned to the Wayfinder, it can choose to stop your attunement and deal 12d10 Psychic damage to you.
Random Properties. The Wayfinder has the following random properties:
- 2 minor beneficial properties
- 1 major beneficial property
- 2 minor detrimental properties
- 1 major detrimental property
Destroying the Wayfinder. This item is a 20th level cleric with immunity to all damage except psychic, an AC of 23, and 600 hit points. You can kill it, but if you take it to the depths of the Shadowfell and cast the wish spell, you can free the soul that became the Wayfinder. The first trait, along with the random properties, remains.
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Equipment → Artifacts