Valkyrie (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Work In Progress|
- 1 Valkyrie
- 1.1 Tales From The Battlefield
- 1.2 Valkyrie
- 1.3 Class Features
- 1.3.1 Table: The Valkyrie
- 1.3.2 Battle Warrior
- 1.3.3 Aegis of the Light
- 1.3.4 Wings of the Valkyrie
- 1.3.5 Valkyrie Sect
- 1.3.6 Ability Score Improvement
- 1.3.7 Oath of the Chooser
- 1.3.8 Extra Attack
- 1.3.9 Veteran Battle Warrior
- 1.3.10 Nordic Guidance
- 1.3.11 Tears of Freyja
- 1.3.12 Death From Above
- 1.3.13 Oath to Asgard
- 1.3.14 Honored Battle Warrior
- 1.3.15 Aurora Armor
- 1.3.16 Venerated Battle Warrior
- 1.3.17 Arch-Valkyrie
- 1.4 Valkyrie Sect Choices
Tales From The Battlefield
Don The Valiant charges into the field shouting a battle cry, shield and sword in hand, he slams against his enemy. As he pushes forward he slays nine warriors in his path, he looks to the hills as the enemy flees he says, "Bah! you cowards!" tauntingly. Don's warriors follow after the fleeing enemy, he goes to his king's side and praises him for the decisive victory. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees an archer with an arrow knocked and aiming it at them. He takes a passing warrior's spear and launches it at the archer's chest piercing right through, but not before the arrow hits him through the heart. Having saved the king's life but not his own, Don's mind begins to fade into blackness. Out of the darkness shines a bright light, Don reaches for it and his soul is pulled out of his body, he looks at hand clasped with a woman's hand, strong yet delicate. A woman clad in silver and gold armor, wings of pure white and golden hair wielding sword and shield with strange markings, stands before Don. "A hero, bravest of all the warriors on this field today. I open the gates to Valhalla for you, honored one." She speaks to Don in a voice that makes him feel warm and comforted. Don nods and the woman takes him into her arms, with a flap of her wings they ascend high above the clouds and Don falls asleep to what feels like an endless journey. When Don wakes up again he is standing in front of a large man. He has a giant beard, an eye-patch, golden armor so bright it's blinding, and a golden scepter in his hand with the woman beside him. The winged female kisses his cheek and flies off leaving the scent of sweet apple behind her.
The Valkyrie is a class developed with a theatre of war mindset. This class is complex with many abilities that can turn battles in an instant. There are a lot of mentions and ties to Norse Lore and Mythology, it would be advised to put forth some effort to research so you know what your dealing with. Valkyries themselves have a very strong sense of duty, honor, and authority in the field of battle, at home, or elsewhere and typically inspire reverence and courage in others just by their presence. Valkyries tend to fall mostly along the Good and Lawful axis of alignments but can be anything including evil. So enjoy building and becoming not only a very powerful warrior but one that invokes great awe in their allies and dread in their enemies.
You can make a Valkyrie quickly by following these suggestions. First, based on your desired archetype; For a Daughter of Odin and the storm, Strength should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. For the Daughter of Freyja and the Sky, Dexterity followed by Constitution.
As a Valkyrie you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Longsword or (b) Lance
- (a) Studded Leather or (b) Scale Mail
- (a) an Explorer's Pack or (b) a Dungeoneer's Pack
- Holy Symbol (Valknut)
- A longbow and a quiver with 20 arrows
|2nd||+2||Wings of the Valkyrie|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement|
|5th||+3||Extra Attack, Oath of the Chooser|
|6th||+3||Veteran Battle Warrior|
|7th||+3||Tears of Freyja, Nordic Guidance|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement|
|9th||+4||Death From Above|
|10th||+4||Oath to Asgard|
|11th||+4||Honored Battle Warrior|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement|
|13th||+5||Valkyrie Sect ability|
|14th||+5||Death From Above Improvement|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement|
|17th||+6||Valkyrie Sect ability|
|18th||+6||Venerated Battle Warrior|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Death From Above Improvement|
Every Valkyrie takes a path of training, a style they will over their life perfect and expand upon as they become some of the finest warriors to walk the earth. Select one of the following styles.
- Warrior of the Hunt: +2 to Ranged attack rolls.
- Warrior of the Raven: Your Movement increases by 5 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. You gain a +1 to Nature and Perception skills.
- Warrior of the Shield: +1 to AC while wielding a Shield.
- Warrior of the Spear: +2 to Damage Rolls when using Polearms.
(What is a "Polearm"? Pikes, Lances, Glaives, Halberds, Tridents, Spears, and Javelins are all Polearms in regards to this ability. Homebrew weapons maybe applied under this ability as well at GM discretion.)
- Warrior of the Sword: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a Sword, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.
(What is a "Sword"? Longswords, Shortswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, and Greatswords are all Swords in regards to this ability. Homebrew weapons maybe applied under this ability as well at GM discretion.)
Aegis of the Light
At 1st level your strong connection to the light has manifested into a runic ward that covers your entire body, protecting you from harm.
Wings of the Valkyrie
At 2nd Level a pair of luminous white feathered wings sprout from your back and can be used to reduce fall damage. When falling either willingly or not (unless grappled, paralyzed, or unconscious) you may expand your wings as a reaction to reduce falling damage by 5 times your Valkyrie Level.
Starting at 13th level, your wing become stronger and capable of actual flight granting a fly speed of 35 Feet (The Bonuses to Movement from Warrior of the Raven, Veteran Warrior of the Raven, and Honored Warrior of the Raven also apply their movement bonus to your fly speed, but they are overridden by the Warrior Of The Sky at 15th level if you choose that sect). You may maintain your ability to fly as long as you are not wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying more then 10 times your Strength Score.
Your wings can be hidden, disappearing in a flash of light, folding up into your back, or however you wish them to do so. Hiding your wings or summoning them forth is a bonus action. Also armor and other articles of clothing do not impede your wings and may destroy your armor or clothing if it was not made to accommodate them
At 3rd level, you may join one of the following sects: Valkyrie Sect Choices.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Oath of the Chooser
At 5th Level, the Valkyrie gains the strength and will capable to accept the Oath of the Chooser of the Slain and guide souls to the afterlife half of which are sent to Valhalla (The great hall of Asgard that Odin rules) and the other half to Fólkvangr (The heavenly fields that Freyja rules).
As an action, a Valkyrie may take in a willing soul of a fallen warrior or hero that they find exemplary or strong within 30ft. While this soul is in the Valkyrie's possession it is unapproachable by any being or power beyond a deity or similarly powerful being, the creature cannot be raised or resurrected and their body cannot become Undead but it can be spoken to with Speak with Dead or similar ability or spell. If the souls are worthy of this afterlife (At the GM's discretion) the Valkyrie may remove one level of exhaustion and restore 1d8 Hit Points immediately.
A Valkyrie may enact punishment upon these souls, destroy souls, or forcibly take souls, but such abuses of power are punished severely by their Gods. A Valkyrie is expected to judge fairly of those they see in battle and select the finest of those who fall even if they were their enemy as long as they are willing. A Valkyrie is permitted to raise the fallen if they are capable and they are willing but they may not make Undead.
A Valkyrie can also offer temporary safe harbor to souls. If a comrade falls, they may be rescued by the Valkyrie to protect them from being obliterated or consumed.
A Valkyrie who violates this Oath willingly and shows no intention of repentance to the gods may at the GM's discretion be forced to abandon this class and adopt another.
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Veteran Battle Warrior
At 6th level, both your time training with your fellow Valkyries and experience throughout the years have made you a worthy opponent in combat and a trusted ally. You may hone your expertise in your chosen style of training that you selected at first level from the BattleWarrior feature improving upon the style. You may also expand your training selecting another style from the Battle Warrior feature.
- Veteran Warrior of the Hunt: (Requires Warrior of the Hunt) Increase normal range of thrown weapons by 20ft. and normal range of bows and crossbows by 60ft.. These range increases do not effect long range and only effect what is considered normal range of the weapons. (Addition, if using guns and firearms, one-handed firearms gain 20ft and two-handed firearms gain 60ft.)
- Veteran Warrior of the Raven: (Requires Warrior of the Raven) Your Movement bonus increases to 10 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. Gain +1 Perception.
- Veteran Warrior of the Shield: (Requires Warrior of the Shield) As a reaction you may grant your shield bonus to an adjacent ally until the start of your turn. You lose the AC gained from your shield while protecting your ally. If your ally moves away from you they lose this bonus and you regain it.
- Veteran Warrior of the Spear: (Requires Warrior of the Spear) You can use your bonus action to gain an extra attack that can only be used if you are wielding a polearm.
- Veteran Warrior of the Sword: (Requires Warrior of the Sword) Whenever you roll a 1 on the damage die for the sword, you can treat it as a 2 instead.
At 7th level, you have proved yourself to the Gods of Asgard and have earned their favor as a warrior and servant of Asgard.
- You gain one of the following passive features, granting you proficiency in the listed skill/tool:
- Frigg's Virtue: Medicine
- Heimdall's Watch: Perception
- Odin's Foresight: Insight
- Skadi's Insight: Nature
- Thor's Endurance: Athletics
- Tyr's Justice: Investigation
- Ullr's Hunt: Survival
- Vidar's Vengeance: Intimidation
Tears of Freyja
Starting at 7th Level you may use this ability;
Tears of Freyja:
- Range: Touch
- Casting Time: Instantaneous
- Duration: 1 minute
You approach an unconscious ally and cry golden tears that seep into their wounds. The ally is now stabilized and regains their level plus their Constitution modifier in hit points. Only one target may be effected by Tears of Freyja at one time. Once used, you must finish a long rest to use it again.
Death From Above
Starting at 9th Level, you can call upon your inner strength. you gain the ability to glide using your wings, target one creature either directly below you (At any height) or within 60ft at a 45 degree angle (or as allowed by the dm). While using a melee weapon, swoop down upon the target landing on the ground 5 ft. from them and deal an additional 1d8 of your weapon's damage if your melee weapon attack hits. This upgrades to 1d10 at 14th Level and 1d12 at 19th Level. You must finish a Short Rest to regain this ability. At 14th Level gain an extra use of this feature.
Oath to Asgard
Honored Battle Warrior
At 11th Level, your training as a Valkyrie has been tested and you have stepped forth into the halls of great warriors. Your expertise expands encompassing either a highly versatile set of styles of combat or a master of one style. You may improve any Battle Warrior Style up one step (Warrior to Veteran Warrior or Veteran Warrior to Honored Warrior) or select a new Warrior style gaining it along with the others you have.
- Honored Warrior of the Hunt: Increase the normal range of thrown weapons by 30ft. and the normal range of bows and crossbows by 80ft. Increase the long range of thrown weapons by 60ft. and the long range of bows and crossbows by 160ft. (Addition, if using guns and firearms, one-handed firearms gain 30/60ft. and two-handed firearms gain 80/160ft. Normal/Long). The increases in range replaces the previous Veteran Warrior of the Hunt bonuses and does not stack with them.
- Honored Warrior of the Raven: Your Movement bonus increases to 15 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. You may gain advantage on a Perception check once, regaining the ability to do so after finishing a short or long rest. You do not suffer from flying at high attitude.
- Honored Warrior of the Shield: As a bonus action on your turn you may treat yourself as being in Half-Cover while using a shield this effect lasts until the first attack made against you or dexterity saving throw you take. If you use this ability and then the Veteran Warrior of the Shield ability to protect an ally instead gains the Half-Cover against the first attack made against them or dexterity saving throw they take.
- Honored Warrior of the Spear: As a bonus action on your turn you may treat your reach as 5ft further when using a Polearm until the start of your next turn. You gain another reaction for the use of Attacks of Opportunity.
- Honored Warrior of the Sword: (Requires Veteran Warrior of the Sword) As a bonus action on your turn you may make an extra attack.
At 13th Level, your armor casts the Light of the Valkyries the Norðrljós or the Northern Lights as you fly. This armor may be any armor worn by you. Once donned it gains the following benefits;
Aurora Armor -
- As you fly your armor glistens casting forth the beautiful Northern Lights as you soar across high above in the skies, at lower altitudes, and on the ground, your armor constantly shimmers in colorful light as if the Northern Lights were a part of the metal, leather, and cloth itself. This luminous display creates multicolored light equal to the Light spell constantly. You may though suppress these lights so that you may avoid drawing attention to yourself when needed as a bonus action.
Venerated Battle Warrior
At 18th Level, there are few who can match your skill at arms and you are sought far and wide by your kin for your wisdom in the arts of battle. You may select two new battle warrior styles, either upgrading styles you have previously selected one step, or selecting new ones from the 1st level options
At 20th level you have become the epitome of what Valkyrie are and you have perfected your skill at arms and powers. You gain the following increases.
- +2 Strength or Dexterity (Your maximum for the score you choose is now 22.)
- +2 Constitution (Your maximum for this score is now 22.)
Once per Week you may call out to the gods and ask for their direct aid in something. This functions like the spell wish except the following changes.
- The Gods will always act in your favor, if you fail to word something precisely enough the Gods will try to interpret it in the most favorable manner. You are after all their servant, an astoundingly accomplished one at that. (Though if Loki answers expect things not to go quite right or result in some humorous circumstance regardless of how well it's worded)
- You'll never lose the use of this ability.
- You must make a percentage die roll when using this spell, and roll lower than your Valkyrie level. Success indicates the spell goes off without issue. Failure means the spell fails to activate and nothing happens.
Valkyrie Sect Choices
Warrior Of The Sky
- Holy Arrow
- 9th level feature
- 13th level feature
- Strong Wings
At 17th level you gain the ability to fly with medium or heavy armor. You have a flying speed of 25 feet that is unaffected by the battle warrior of the raven options
Warrior of Cavalry
At 3rd Level, you gain the service of one of the legendary horses of the Valkyries. You must sit in a quiet place and prepare the ritual of which to call your steed to your side. You must purchase 50 gp worth of fine foods appropriate for a horse (Oats, Apples, Carrots, Honey, etc.) and a small circle cut or tablet of Yew Wood that you must bless over 8 hours and carve into it the rune ᛖ (Meaning Ehwaz, literally Horse). At the completion of this 8 hour ritual you call forth a Valkyrian Steed before you from seemingly thin air and benefits of your Steed's Bond ability. A Valkyrian Steed is a Warhorse of special breed for they are not born but created from air and the first indication of it's supernatural origin is that frost and dewdrops form along it's mane and regularly fall to the ground as they walk. You can have only one Valkyrian Steed at a time.
If your Steed is ever slain, the sacred connection you share allows you to return it to life. You may perform an 8 hour ritual carving a new Yew Wood rune worth 25 gp to call forth your Steed's spirit and use your connection to the gods and the power of your oaths to create a new body for it. You return a Steed to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body. If you use this ability to return a former Valkyrian Steed to life while you have a current Steed, your current Steed departs and returns to the heavens and is replaced by the restored Steed.
- Steed's Bond
Your Steed gains a variety of benefits while in your service. The Steed obeys your commands as best it can. It rolls for initiative like any other creature, but you determine its actions, decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your Steed acts on its own. Your Steed has abilities and game statistics determined in part by your level. Your companion uses your proficiency bonus rather then its own. In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, an animal companion also adds its proficiency bonus to its AC and to its damage rolls. Your Steed gains proficiency in two skills of your choice. For each level you gain after 3rd, your Steed gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly. Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your Steed's abilities also improve. Your Steed can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your Steed can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature. Your Steed shares your alignment. Your Steed shares your ideal, and its bond is always, "The Valkyrie whom i serve is my blood sibling and it is my honor to gladly give my life for them."
- 9th level feature
- Flying Steed
Your bond with your steed has grown immensely, allowing flight. Starting at 13th level, while you are riding your bonded steed, the steed has a flying speed of 45 feet.
- 17th level feature
Warrior of the Storm
You are a warrior of the storm. Your entrance on the battlefield is hailed by the striking of lightning and rumbling of thunder.
Starting at 3rd Level, you call upon Odin using your Valknut, and as a bonus action you can create a storm above you. Whenever you strike an enemy using an attack a bolt of lightning shoots down on them, dealing 1d4 lightning damage. Until your next turn if the target willingly moves, an ear deafening thunderclap follows, dealing 1d6 thunder damage. The target then has to make a Constitution saving throw or it's movement speed will be reduced to 0. On a critical hit the thunder triggers on your attack instead of whenever the enemy moves. You can use this feature once, regaining usage upon finishing a short or long rest.
Starting at 9th level, your control over storms reaches to the point where you can channel them through your own body, charging you with static energy you can release in powerful blasts.
As an action, you slam your hand into the ground, making a blast of thunder radiate out of you. Each creature within 10 feet must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 2d8 thunder damage on a failed save and being stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save they take half the damage and do not get stunned. Static - When an enemy attacks you you can use your reaction to make a spark hit an enemy, dealing 1d4 damage and giving them disadvantage on the attack. Once used, you must finish a short or long rest to use this feature again.
- Immobilizing Shock
Starting at 13th level, your control over the storms reaches such heights you can create lightning capable of keeping people from moving for extended periods of time. As an action, you can target 5 enemies within 60 feet of you. The targets need to make a Constitution save or be stunned for 1 minute. They can retake this save on each of their turns for the duration of the ability.
- Thunderous Strike
Starting at 17th level, you can summon the powers of the gods to strike down your enemies. By striking or "attacking" the ground you can make a line of force that stretches 15 feet in a line. Each creature in that line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 4d8 Force damage. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can do so again.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Valkyrie class, you must meet these prerequisites: Strength or Dexterity of 13 and Constitution of 13.
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Valkyrie class, you gain the following proficiencies: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, and One Skill from the Valkyrie's skill list.
For those wishing to keep the Norse Theme. Here is a list of some of more well known Norse Gods and Goddesses to help get a glancing idea of them.
A Quick List of some Æsir/Ásynjur (Áss or plural Æsir, are Gods. Ásynja or plural Ásynjur, are Goddesses)
- Baldr — (Balder) God of Innocence and Beauty.
- Bragi — (Brage) The Bard (Skald).
- Forseti — God of Justice.
- Frigg — Chief Goddess, of Foreknowledge and Wisdom. Wife to Odin.
- Heimdallr — (Heimdall) The Watchman and Guardian.
- Hermóðr - A Messenger For Odin.
- Höðr — Blind God of Darkness and Winter.
- Hœnir — The Indecisive God.
- Iðunn —(Idun) Goddess of Youth, Fertility and Death.
- Loki — The Trickster, Foster-Son of Odin.
- Meili — The Mile-Stepper.
- Nanna — Wife of Baldr.
- Óðinn — (Odin) Chief God, of Wisdom and War.
- Sif — Golden-Haired Wife of Thor.
- Sigyn — Wife of Loki.
- Skaði — (Skadi) Goddess of Bowhunting, Skiing, Winter, and Mountains
- Þórr — (Thor) God of Thunder and Battle.
- Týr — (Tyr) One-Handed, Self Sacrificing God of Law and Justice.
- Ullr — The Hunter, Tracker and Archer.
- Váli — The Avenger.
- Vé — Brother of Odin, who gave men speech.
- Viðarr — (Vidar) God of Silence, Stealth, and Revenge.
- Vili — Brother of Odin, who gave men feeling and thought.
For more information and gods refer to Wikipedia (Æsir), another or preferred website, or books.