The Burning Wastelands (3.5e Environment)
From D&D Wiki
The Burning Wastelands
This Plane appears as a vast wasteland of warm climate between the the Elemental Plane of Earth and the Elemental Plane of Fire. In the center of this vast wasteland, is a large stone fortress and the home of the deity Karura.
- Gravity: Objective: Gravity pulls “down” towards the solid mass of earth that connects to the Elemental Plane of Earth while “up” is to the Elemental Plane of Fire that engulfs the sky high above in flames.
- Time: Time flows much faster here. For every 1 Round that passes on the Material Plane 1 day passes here.
- Size: The planes “height” (Distance between the two elemental planes) is roughly 220 miles. Roughly 130 miles being earth, and about 70 miles from the surface to the flaming boundary of the the Elemental Plane of Fire that is approximately 20 miles thick.
- Morphic: Divinely Morphic: Karura has the ability to alter objects, creatures, and the landscape on plane. Ordinary characters find these planes similar to alterable planes in that they may be affected by spells and physical effort.
Magic, Alignment, and Energy/Elemental Traits
- Elemental Dominance: Being located between the elemental planes of earth and fire, it shares some traits of both. Rare alloys and gems are much more abundant in the earth. And from the flames above come the hot temperatures that bombard the plane.
- Energy Dominance: None
- Alignment Trait: Mildly neutral-aligned: does not apply a circumstance penalty to anyone.
- Magic Trait: Enhanced Magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with Earth Effect or Fire Effect are enhanced with the metamagic feat Maximize Spell without changing the spell slot required or the casting time. Spellcasters on the plane are considered to have that feat or feats for the purpose of applying them to that spell.
The plane connects to both the Elemental Plane of Earth and the Elemental Plane of Fire. Inside the large stone fortress, and the home of the deity Karura, are several portals leading to various wastelands on the Material Plane.
Creatures from both the Elemental Plane of Earth and the Elemental Plane of Fire can be found in the Burning Wastelands. Also the following creatures and races are considered native to the plane; Sand Elemental, Monstrous Scorpion, Desert Lizard , Desert Dwarves, Desert Elves, Desert Gnomes, Desert Goblins, Desert Half-Elves, Desert Half-Orcs, Desert Halflings, Desert Kobolds, and Desert Orcs.
Features of the Plane
The plane is very similar to a normal warm Desert Terrain with areas of both rocky and sandy terrain. Travelers here have to deal with the Heat Dangers with temperatures ranging from 70° F to extreme heat of 140° F. This also makes dealing with Starvation and Thirst an issue as well.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (planes) can research The Burning Wastelands to learn more about it. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|They learn the physical traits and the Features of the plane. They also learn that this is the home plane of Karura.
|They learn about the Magic, Alignment, and Energy/Elemental Traits of the plane.
|They learn about the planes inhabitants and the planes links.