Talk:Ki Master (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
What is the HD of this PrC? --Green Dragon 00:50, 13 February 2007 (MST)
- I'm thinking D8, possibly D6, seeing as thi is a Monk who's more about ranged combat.... --Theophenes 16:07, 21 February 2007 (MST)
- d8 it is (someone already added it as that). --Green Dragon 10:54, 26 February 2007 (MST)
- I ran it through Open Office... I hope it helps. --Green Dragon 18:35, 17 September 2007 (MDT)
Is it alright if I delete the epic section and use the space to discuss the awakening? I really wasn't thinking in epic terms for this character. --Theophenes 16:41, 21 February 2007 (MST)
- You can always add a section for the awakening if you want to. The format is not strict, just a guideline to make the page format nicely. --EldritchNumen 23:31, 21 February 2007 (MST)
Is this class really a moderate spellcaster?! It seems like it should be combat-focused instead... just a thought. --EldritchNumen 23:31, 21 February 2007 (MST)
- It isn't a spellcaster, it's more like spell-like abilities. i was thinking it woudl be, I need to fix that, thanks for the reminder. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Theophenes (talk • contribs)16:41, 22 February 2007 (MST). Please sign your posts.
I'd really like your opinion on the following:
- Are the requirements too flexible?
- Are the saves screwy?
- Are the abilities too much or too little? I think I made the class build on itself okay, but I'd like to think this guy would be a memorable and interesting oppoenet for soem of my better characters.
- Also, I'm having soem roughness with the Ki clone's abilities, is there any spell I could model it after that comes to mind? Or did I do okay there?
--Theophenes 12:51, 23 February 2007 (MST)
- I dnot kown becuase I stoppde raeding teh class aftre teh 5ht sppling mstake. *Please* run the thing through a spellchecker and try to link D&D termsn. --Mkill 22:31, 19 July 2007 (MDT)
- Hello there! I'm digging the Dragonball love on this wiki. (I'm playing an Enlightened Fist in an online campaign right now.) My thoughts:
- The requirements are okay - not perfect, but certainly not wrong. The "Alignment" bit belongs in fluff, not requirements. I think the skills required are good, since they represent a significant investment of skill points - but this may be too much. A 5th-level human monk with an Intelligence of 10 has 32 skill points, and you're asking him to invest 24 of those skill points into near-useless skills. This leaves him only 8 points to spend in other key monk skills like Tumble and the stealth skills. I would tone it down a bit. Perhaps you could replace some of the skill requirements with class abilities, saves, BAB, or feats. Another point about the requirements: you are requiring Improved Unarmed Strike, yet you specifically allow for the possibility of a mindblade becoming a Ki Master. I'm not familiar with the mindblade at all, but if I am correct in assuming that that class's weapon is not considered an unarmed strike, you may want to consider changing the requirement so that a character can have a more mindblade-y feat instead of Improved Unarmed Strike (maybe there's some psionic weapon focus type deal or something that would work).
- Your save and BAB progressions are, indeed, screwy. You obviously have no idea how these things work. Go look in the PHB, DMG, MM, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, all the Complete books - nowhere is there, for instance, a save progression that goes 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 (as you have done with the Fort save). There are good saves (= 2 + (level/2)) and bad saves (= level/3). As for base attack, there is bad (= 1/2 * level), decent (= 3/4 * level), and good (= level). I'm taking the liberty of correcting these progressions for you, but you've given him a Will save that is about halfway between "good" and "bad", so I'm not sure what you want here. I'm going with class flavour for now and giving him a high Will save.
- Not sure about the abilities. While not exactly what hardcore Dragonball fans may expect, the flavour is pretty cool and the class seems to me to be a bit like the Shadowdancer or the Harper Agent, in that it doesn't really offer game-changing abilities of its own, but it just makes you generally better at what you do. However, if "memorable" is what you are going for, perhaps you could consider giving the class an iconic, high-impact power - a Kamehame-ha, if you will (though that's just a glorified fireball, but you get my point).
- Not sure about the Ki Clone. There are some PHB spells you may want to look at: mirror image, shadow conjuration, and clone. --Henrebotha 07:33, 28 October 2009 (MDT)
Great minds and all...
Funny that, apparently there was already a Ki Master class made, for I made one, but as a base class. Should I change the name of my class in light of this or do you not mind there being two with the same title? -- Eiji 19:37, 15 September 2007 (MDT)
- I think that since one is a base class and the other is a prestige class they can both have this name. Great minds do think alike after all, I guess :). --Green Dragon 18:19, 17 September 2007 (MDT)