Talk:Cloud Eagles (4e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Before I look at the King, I'm going to write down what the baseline stats are for a level 4 solo soldier. I'll also review my notes at Solo Creatures (4e Guideline).
- Okay, Fortitude and Reflex are rather high. HP, attack roll and claw damage are within bounds. I would set all the NAD-targeting attack bonuses at +7 (easier for the DM to remember, rather than having different numbers).
- Does the King have the combat capability of 4 to 5 standard creatures? Let's look at the attacks.
- Claw: Two attacks at normal damage.
- Gust: Does no damage, suggest making this a minor action.
- Corrupting Blast: An encounter-level, multi-hit attack, averaging 15 damage, which is within bounds for one standard creature. However, dominate is very powerful, it's worse than being stunned. An area-effect dominate (and this covers 12 squares) could be quite fustrating for a heroic-tier party. Even monsters normally associated with dominating (ghosts, succubus) only hit one creature, and at late-heroic tier.
- Darkness Beam: ...and more dominating on top of that.
- Does the King have the appropriate defenses?
- Mobility: Sweeping Glide does help, I would specify that it ignores slowing effects.
- Lockdown: Has no ability to deal with being locked down with stuns, dazes, etc.
In conclusion, the King does not have the damage output of a Solo, and is prone to being locked-down by the party; on the other hand, being able to dominate multiple PCs might make up for this, it is hard for me to tell. My issue with dominate is thematic and level-appropriateness. Marasmusine (talk) 04:17, 23 September 2015 (MDT)
OK, thanks for that. He is till a work-in-progress and his stats need work. I am more interested in how I should do dominating. Do you have any recommendations on how to make him less OP but still have a mind control theme? (Also, Gust will have damage as soon as I fix him up for his new level with correct stats). This monster will soon become a level 7 as that is the level required for the encounter. I meant him for lower level PCs but then some things happened and he needs to be higher --GhaladronOG (talk) 17:44, 23 September 2015 (MDT)
- Here are some other ideas:
- Slide a target one or more squares
- The target makes a basic attack against an ally
- (I did both of these with tempting words and garden of desire at Bess Carita (4e Creature))
- Slowing, dazing, immobilizing can be considered forms of control.
- Attack roll penalties, or inability to make opportunity attacks.
- The King is a soldier, not a controller. His role is to be sticky, to draw attacks away from other creatures, and to be hard to hit. In this respect, the mind control could be:
- diverting an attack aimed at another cloud eagle so that it targets him instead (with a penalty), which could be an at-will reaction.
- pulling a target closer and marking it.
- If you want the mind control to be more general, I suggest changing the role to Controller. Marasmusine (talk) 02:07, 24 September 2015 (MDT)
- Once again, the Soldier/Controller bit is just a mistake that will be fixed --GhaladronOG (talk) 17:35, 24 September 2015 (MDT)
- OK, I've done some work, but looking at him now I can't tell if he's controller or soldier. I want his Gust power to remain prominent and I don't want his melee going down. On the other hand his dominating power makes him more controller-y but his immobilisation is more of a soldier power. I DON'T KNOW! --GhaladronOG (talk) 17:50, 24 September 2015 (MDT)
- Switching to controller would just effect his AC (should be about 18), it doesn't effect the base melee capability or HP. Immobilization can be considered controller-y.
- As I mentioned above, damage output needs increasing, and it also needs some way of shaking off conditions that lock it down. Examples at Solo Creatures (4e Guideline) (which I culled from the Monster Vault). Marasmusine (talk) 01:35, 25 September 2015 (MDT)
Suggestions for more creatures
I currently have two more creatures planned: a Commander (level 10 Soldier (Leader), and one other Level 5 Soldier/Brute. If I could have help making these or some more ideas that would be just wonderful. Thanks! --GhaladronOG (talk) 17:57, 24 September 2015 (MDT)