Symboics (5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|“||Destroy the Combine we must, so nay more of said abominations like us will doth suffer.||”|
These beings resemble monstrous mixes of creatures, usually appearing as a hunched figure with long arms that touch the ground while it stands. It can thus be considered quadrupedal. It has a small circular head with a rather horrific face, like that of a gnoll and orc mixed together, and two holes on the side of the head as ears. Their necks are covered with a a thin layer of stiff hairs like a mane, and their hands and feet are clawed. They have a vestigial tail that sticks out at the end of a bumpy spine where holes look to be bored into their skin along their back. Symboics have very fair skin that is nearly translucent and slime-like. They have arcane and runic symbols or markings all over their bodies that appear to be engraved tattoos at a glance. Faint light pulsates from their skin due to the internal magic engine. They are rather slim almost gaunt, but they are inhumanly strong. In their navel, located in the groin, is usually a gemstone of varying colors. The holes along their back sprout colorful hairs that can change colors. Despite their monstrous appearance, they like to talk in whispers, shrieking when enraged.
The Simic Combine which makes the hybrids, or "guardians," comes from a series of Combines that did not always share the interest in humanoid subjects or have as much success. The symboics are proof of this, being an aberrant conglomerate of beings mashed together by a similar Combine, known as the Bestial Combine. This process haphazardly infused traits of many creatures onto an unstable base and thus birthed monstrosities that never lived long due to lack of foresight. The symboics claim to be the sole survivors of the mad Combine, which went as far as combine inorganic and organic matter. This gives the symboics a very special and unique composition, but also comes with the price of pain and instability, as their forms are not always in a compatible state. Thus, the symboics seek to destroy the Combine which created them, as it continues to churn out abominations, leaving them to their pwn devices after production. After seeing much of the results struggle to even breathe and ultimately dying, the symboics have had enough.
Symboics live in natural dwellings usually abandoned by that of other creatures, like an old bear den or hill giant's cave. They form small communities of twenty or so members dedicated to survival. Everyday is one of fresh pain as the painful fusions from the Combine processes have never left them. But they gather in solidarity around their suffering and go about their days. They are usually led by a trio of elder symboics, who are mainly for guidance. Warrior and gatherer symboics are the sturdiest, who go to forage and guard over their encampments. The young are raised communally by the community. Healers are highly valued to symboics, as herbal remedies and healing magic alleviate their daily pain. They have been hunted as monsters before and so remain fearful of the world outside. But they mainly blame the mad Combine for their problems, rather than the aggressors.
Being a horrible mix of creatures leaves symboics rather socially awkward and illiterate. They can be very kind and gentle, but it takes a bit to get through to them. Their minds are often not fully developed and they find many mundane things amusing or confusing. Those of them who have learned from the other races can speak with a degree of intelligence, and are often obsessed with finding ways to destroy the accursed Combine. Symboics believe in repaying debts and will often be steadfast allies to any who show them kindness. Few receive kind treatment due to their appearances. As such, they are not partial to what is good or evil, but to who is more tolerant.
Their social roles are not gendered, but they have a semblance of it in names which they use. From some creature which they have fused in their body, they know the naturally deep, throaty and disconcerting language of Abyssal.
Male: Shloragoth, Higgutgah, Basthub, Ljorridin
Female: Fasharath, Higothek, Irretesh, C'thalaron
Eldritch combinations culminated
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2 and one other ability score of your choice increases by 1.
Age. Due to the unstable forms, symboics rarely live over 80.
Alignment. Symboics usually are neutral, concerned with survival. But they can act chaotic for those whom they care about.
Size. They are rather tall and lean. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Bodily Augments. Like a simic hybrid, your body hosts a variety of infused abilities. You have a greater variety even. You choose one of the Infusions listed below now and a second infusion at 5th level.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Abyssal.
At 1st level, choose one of the following options:
- Prickly Mane: Your prickly mane grows long and makes it hard for people to hold onto you. Creatures that try to grapple you roll with disadvantage. For every turn you are grappled, the grappling creature takes piercing damage equal to your proficiency bonus.
- Horrific Maw: Your face and mouthful of teeth are highly pronounced and fearsome. You are proficient in the Intimidation skill. You can also make unarmed strikes with your bite. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
- Power Arms: Your powerful clawed arms can haul you and others. You have a climbing speed of 20 feet. Additionally, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- Semi-Aquatic: At the base of your neck sprout gills. You can breathe air and water, and you have a swimming speed of 25 feet.
- Mixed Digestion: Your composition of organic and inorganic makes you able to consume certain things safely. You may eat dirt or rocks instead of consuming food to fulfill your food requirement. You are immune to diseases that would be contracted via ingestion.
At 5th level, your body structure changes from the unstable mix, granting you new characteristics. Choose one of the options you didn't take at 1st level, or one of the following options:
- Gastric Juices: As an action, you can spray a stream of acid from the juices in your stomach. Target one creature or object you can see within 30 feet of you. The target takes 2d10 acid damage unless it succeeds on a Dexterity saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. This damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 11th level (3d10) and 17th level (4d10).
- Magic Engine: The magic engine within you protects you from harm. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Hairy Wings: The hair sprouting out of your back spreads into thin wings. You have a flying speed of 25 feet.
- Hardened Shell: Your slimy skin hardens to make a carapace on you. While unarmored, your Armor Class is equal to 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You may use a shield and still gain this benefit.
- Venom Bladder: Your inner organ which allows you to digest many things develops and gives your body greater immunity. You are immune to poison damage and diseases and being poisoned.
Random Height and Weight
|6′ 0″||+2d8||210 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
*Height = base height + height modifier