Studied Summoner (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
A hunchbacked cultist works with the corpses provided by their compatriots, set with the goal in mind of creating the perfect fighting machine. They chuckle at the thought of their mad genius coming to life. "Rise my greatest creation."
Dreaming of Other Worlds
Mostly twisted individuals who study creatures of the other planes a summoner is a master of conjuration. taking it upon themselves to use other creatures to fight in their stead the summoner focuses more on supporting the creatures they bring forth rather than the evocation of the elements like a common mage.
Working extensively with creatures from other planes and the material plane a summoner is required to have knowledge of the creatures they work with. That along with a presence to out which even the trickiest of outsiders.
Creating a Studied Summoner
- Quick Build
You can make a Studied Summoner quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by <!-Ability score->. Second, choose the <!-background name-> background. Third, choose <!-elaborate on equipment choices->
As a Studied Summoner you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a dagger or (b) a simple weapon
- (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
- (a) a scholar’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
|Features||Cantrips Known||Spells Known||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|1st||+2||Spell Casting, Studied Specialty, Summon Monster||2||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Summon Monster Improvement||2||5||3||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+3||Summoning Tradition Feature||2||6||4||2||—||—||—|
|6th||+3||Summon Monster Improvement||3||7||4||2||—||—||—|
|7th||+3||Studied Specialty Improvement||3||8||4||3||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Summon Monster Improvement||3||9||4||3||—||—||—|
|10th||+4||Summoning Tradition Feature, Summon Monster Improvement||3||11||4||3||2||—||—|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Summon Monster Improvement||3||12||4||3||3||—||—|
|14th||+5||Summoning Tradition Feature, Summon Monster Improvement||4||13||4||3||3||1||—|
|15th||+5||Studied Specialty Improvement||4||14||4||3||3||2||—|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Summon Monster Improvement||4||14||4||3||3||2||—|
|18th||+6||Summoning Tradition Feature, Summon Monster Improvement||4||15||4||3||3||3||1|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||4||15||4||3||3||3||2|
At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the summoner spell list. You learn an additional summoner cantrip of your choice at 6th level and another at 14th level.
- Spell Slots
The Summoner table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your Summoner spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these summoner spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Cure Wounds and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast cure wounds using either slot.
- Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the summoner spell list.
You learn an additional summoner spell of your choice at each level except 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th, and 20th. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 5th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the summoner spells you know and replace it with another spell from the summoner spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
- Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your summoner spells, since the power of your magic relies on your studies into the calling of creatures from other planes of existence. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a summoner spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
- Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your summoner spells.
Starting at 1st level you gain knowledge of a chosen type of creature chosen from; Aberrations, Beasts, Celestials, Elementals, Feinds, Fey, and Monstrosities. Once this choice is made it cannot be changed. You gain advantage on any Intelligence based check to recall information about a creature of your chosen type. You gain a second type of studied creature at 7th level and a third at 15th level.
You have studied in your art of conjuration to the point you can call forth creatures to fight in your stead. Starting at 1st level as an action you can call forth a monster of your chosen type of study, the monster is friendly to you and your companions. the creature persists for 1 minute or until you break concentration on this feature. (Maintaining the concentration of this feature also affects concentration of spells). The limitations for what creature you can summon are denoted in the table below. You have one use of this ability and regain all uses after a long rest. At 4th level you gain a second use, and a third use at 8th level, and finally a 4th use at 16th level. If there are no creatures available for you to summon, work with your DM to create one fitting of a creature of that type's powers. This ability is improved further at 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th levels.
|1st||1/4||No Flying or Swimming Speed|
|4th||1/4||No Flying Speed|
|6th||1/2||No Flying Speed|
Starting at 2nd level you have delved into the arts of conjuration which allows you to call forth minions from the great beyond. Choose the type of tradition you are from; Frankenstein, Jekyll, Brood Mother, Mounted Master. This choice affects the abilities gained at 2nd, 5th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels. Once this choice is made it cannot be changed.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
At 20th level your ties to the other realms allow you to regain your summon monster ability back on a short rest instead of a long rest. Additionally you may transport yourself and your companions to any realm as a ritual over the course of 10 minutes. (This functions as the gate spell)
You have invested all of your studies in creating what you deem is the perfect creation. This tradition allows you more creativity in your creation’s abilities.
- Frankenstein’s Creation
Starting at 2nd level when you use your summon monster feature to gain the service of frankenstein's creation. In contrast to the summon monster feature, your creation does not require concentration, and your creation lasts for a number of hours equal to your summoner level. Spells and effects you cast that effect you can instead affect your summoned creation. Unlike other summons your creation is not very intelligent, it requires constant ordering for it to function, as a bonus action on your turn you can order your creation to act. Additionally unlike other summons your creation has a physical body that you animate, after death or when your summon monster ability ends the body remains behind. If your creation is killed it cannot be reanimated from the same corpse and a replacement must be found. Additionally dealing with bodies to make your creation you treat undead as a studied specialty for the purposes of recalling information not for summoning.
Your created monster gains the following features:
- Bound Lackey: The creature has hit points are instead equal to the Creation's Constitution modifier + six times your level in this class.
- Fortified Flesh: When the summoner gains an ability score increase, the creation also gains 2 points to assign to their abilities. A creation cannot take feats.
- Heart of the Beast: The summoner knows how to recreate their creation if they should fall in battle. For the cost of 8 hours work and 50 GP per summoner level a replacement can be made from a humanoid corpse.
- Master's Might When: the summoner gains a bonus to their proficiency bonus so does the creation. This improves; Attacks, Saves, and Skills (if any).
- Of One Mind: The creature understands the languages the summoner speaks.
- Creation Mutations
Your creation gains a number of mutations that affect how the summon performs. These mutations affect how your summon looks. (work with your DM on the look and feel of your creation as it has close ties to yourself) Your creation starts with 2 mutations and you gain additional ones as you level up. The default creation is listed at the end of the class description. Each time the summoner levels up they can change one of the mutations on their creation.
Below is the list of mutations available to improve the performance of the summoner's Frankenstein creation:
- Advanced Mind:Your creation has been given the ability to think for itself, sentience comes at its own price. Your creation can discern friend from foe and help in any way it feels it can. You can still issue orders as necessary for more complex tasks such as finding a specific book in a library, organizing money and counting it, or cleaning a room. Your creation’s Intelligence becomes 14. The Creation must have the Self Operating Mutation before selecting this mutation. A summoner must be 10th level before selecting this mutation.
- Defensive Quills: Taking from defensive creatures like a porcupine your creation grows sharpened quills to protect itself. When a creature within 5ft of your creation makes a melee attack against it they take 1 piercing damage in retaliation.
- Elemental Affinity: The creation has become hardy to an elemental effect. Pick one; Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Thunder. The creation gains resistance to that damage type. This mutation can be taken multiple times choosing a different damage type for each additional mutation.
- Finesse Fighting: Taking from a quicker beast than your creation you have decided that swift decisive strikes are the way to attack. When using the slam attack your creation can now use its Dexterity to attack and damage rolls.
- Gliding Wings: As a reaction made while falling, your creation can now glide to safety as well as possibly catching one other creature in the process. The Creation can now slow fall.
- Hardened Carapace: By adding a Lightweight bone like structure to the outside of your creation you have improved it’s armor significantly. Your creation gains a +3 to it’s AC (stacks with Thickened Natural Armour). A creation must have the Thickened Natural Armor mutation before selecting this mutation. A summoner must be level 10 before selecting this mutation.
- Monkey See, Monkey Do: After gaining a level of sentience your creation can now mimic some of the actions that you have performed around it. Your creation now has the ability to cast magic spells, it learns 3 spells of 1st or second level that you yourself know. To cast these spells your creation has 2 1st level spell slots and 1 2nd level spell slot, the DC for these spells is based on your creation’s Intelligence modifier (DC = 8 + Creation’s Intelligence + Your proficiency bonus). A creation must have the Advanced Mind mutation before selecting this mutation. A summoner must be 15th level before selecting this mutation.
- Necromantic Conduit: You have placed a trigger inside of your creation which can be triggered as a bonus action. Once triggered your creation releases energy from itself. Each creature within 20ft of your creation (including your creation and yourself) must make a Constitution saving throw against your summoner spell save DC. On a failure the creature takes 2d8 necrotic damage and half as much on a success. Undead caught in this energy heal for the damage dealt. You can trigger this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining uses on a long rest. You must be a summoner of 10th level to take this mutation.
- Offensive Quills: Your creation has already sprouted quills and now can attempt to throw them. As an action your creation can make a range attack of 20/60ft using either Strength or Dexterity, the attack deals 2d6 piercing damage. The creation can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, the quills will grow back after a long rest. A creation must have the Defensive Quills mutation before taking this one.
- Self Operating: Your creation has been given a more usable brain, and now it can think for itself somewhat. Your creation will no longer require orders every turn and will instead follow the last given order until it dies, completes the order, or is released from it by another order. Secondly your Creation's Intelligence becomes 10. You must be a summoner of 10th level to take this mutation.
- Sharpened Claws: A simplistic improvement to the creation that causes the body used to grow a set of powerful talons. The Slam attack on the creation is replaced with a 1d8 + Strength modifier claw attack that deals slashing damage. You must be a summoner of 5th level before taking this mutation.
- Skillful: The brain of the creature used to make your creation is mostly intact. As such the creature may gain 2 skill proficiencies from; Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, and Stealth. This mutation can be taken multiple times choosing 2 different skills.
- Sneak attack: Taking from a sneaky character you have taught your creation to look for the holes in a creature's defence. If the creation is flanking, has an ally within melee with the target, or is unseen they can add 2d6 sneak attack damage onto one of their damage rolls per turn. Additionally the creation must use their Dexterity to hit and damage. A summoner must be 5th level before taking this mutation.
- Speed up: By adding more powerful legs you have improved the speed of your creation. The creation adds 10ft of movement extra to its movement speed. This mutation can be taken multiple times adding an extra 5ft of movement each addition time you take it.
- Streamlined Design: Your creation has been slimmed down and useless excess has been taken away. Your creation gains +4 to its Dexterity score but loses 2 to its Strength score.
- Tentacles: Your creation has grown tentacles that can grasp and squeeze its prey. As an action your creation can grapple a target with these tentacles, if your summon is successful in holding the grapple they have advantage with melee attacks against the creature. On subsequent turns after the grapple is made the creation can use its bonus action to crush its target dealing 2d4 + Strength bludgeoning damage. You must be a summoner of 10th level to take this mutation.
- Thickened Natural Armour: You have taken the scales from a Reptilian creature and added them to your creation. The Creation gains an additional +2 to AC.
- Underwater Adaptation: You have spliced together an amphibious creature with your creation. Your creation can now breathe underwater, additionally they gain a swim speed equal to their walking speed. You must be a summoner of 5th level before taking this adaptation.
- Whip-like Tail: After growing appendages on your creation you have dabbled in creating stranger limbs. Your creation now has a tail which it can use to strike foes and possibly knock them down, the tail deals 1d6 + your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage and the creature it hits must make a Strength saving throw (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + the creation's Strength).
- Wings: As simple as it sounds your creation grows wings. These wings look as you desire and give your creation a flying speed equal to their walking speed. Your creation must have the Gliding Wings mutation before selecting this one. You must be a summoner of 15th level to take this mutation.
- Extra Spells
The following spells are added to your summoner spell list for you. These do not count against your spells known.
- Swift Attacks
Starting at 5th level when taking the attack action your creation can attack twice instead of once. Additionally at 5th level you can deliver touch spells through your creation provided your creation uses their attack action to do so. You lastly gain 1 additional mutation.
- Necromantic Power-Up
At 10th level your creation’s attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances. Secondly yourself and your creation gain resistance to necrotic damage. Lastly you also gain 2 additional mutations to change your creation.
- Animation Mishaps
You gain an additional mutation. Secondly when using the animate dead spell you can apply one of your creation's mutations to the skeleton or zombies you create. This mutation is the same for all zombies and skeletons you animate.
- From Life to Undeath
You gain an additional 2 mutations. Additionally yourself and your creation gain immunity to necrotic damage and heal from it as though you are undead yourself.
- Self Warping
Beginning at 2nd level when you use your summon monster feature you can instead transform your own body into something not unlike the creature you choose. While in this form you gain one of the natural attacks(this natural attack can be used as an off hand attack as though you were two weapon fighting) of the chosen creature, your speed is also affected by either slowing or increasing your movement depending on the choice. Lastly while in this form you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the creatures Hit Die x 5. Additionally you take on some of the looks of the creature you transform into, growing extra appendages or your skin changing color. Lastly you gain proficiency in Medicine.
- Extra Attack
Starting at 5th level you can attack twice instead of once when taking the attack action. Additionally while in your warped form your attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances.
- Otherworldly Resistances
At 10th level when using self warping you may take a number of resistances from the creature of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier. (a summoner with 16 Intelligence turning into a spined devil would gain the resistance to cold, non magical bludgeoning, and slashing damage but not the additional resistance to piercing)
- The Duality of Dr. Jekyll
Upon reaching 14th level you have meddled with your own body for so long that a duality between your warped self and your regular self is formed. You have advantage on Intelligence saving throws as well as resistance to psychic damage. Lastly you can add 1d8 extra onto a failed Intelligence check of any kind, once you use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier per long rest.
- Advanced Warping Techniques
Starting at 18th level while warped the summoner can gain one of the special abilities listed on a creature's stat block, this excludes spell casting. You can instead choose to forgo one of these abilities to gain one of the creature's immunities.
The swarm master is the guy who wishes only to overwhelm his opponents with masses of numbers rather than strategy. Preferring to sacrifice many small creatures that they see as disposable.
- Swarm Summoner
Beginning at 2nd level when you use your summon monster feature you can instead choose to summon a swarm of tiny creatures. The swarm must still meet the requirements of your summon monster feature. I.e. at first level you can summon a swarm of rats, but not a swarm of bats because they have a flying speed. Lastly summoning a swarm does require concentration to maintain the swarm. Additionally you learn the find familiar spell which does not count against your known spells, your familiar is also able to take the attack action. Finally your summons and familiar can relay information to you with no action required.
- Multitude of Summons
At 5th level you can begin to summon a multiple amount of creatures. When using your summon monster ability you can instead choose to summon 2 creatures of lesser power. When Summoning this way you treat your level as being 4 levels lower and consult the summon monster chart (if a 10th level summoner attempted this they could summon 2 CR ½ with no flying speed. This includes summoning swarms as well). These creatures can gain advantage on attacks when attacking the same target.
- Spreading the Magic
At 10th level a Brood Mother can choose to use spells that buff themselves and effect them on each summon they have active. (a summoner using the multitude summons ability can cast cure wounds on the 2 creatures they have summoned provided they can reach both to touch them in a single round).
- Sacrificial Pawns
Beginning at 14th level you have summoned many sacrificial summons, you have now learned to curse your summons to inflict more damage upon death. When a creature you summon dies they explode in fire dealing the creature's CR d6 damage (a CR 4 creature would deal 4d6 damage), all creatures within 10ft of the dying summon must make a Dexterity save DC equal to your spell save DC. (This effect also applies to your familiar)
- For the Swarm
You have dabbled in cursing your summons, and now you are more adept at cursing other people. Starting at 18th level, as an action you can expend one use of your summon monster ability to target 1 creature with lower CR than your summoner levels(minimum of CR18) and force them to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure the creature is enthralled by yourself and becomes your minion. This minion is cursed similarly to your summons, a remove curse spell or greater restoration removes this effect.
- Combat and Creation
Starting at 2nd level you gain proficiency in light and medium armor as well as martial weapons. Additionally at 2nd level you gain 2 max hit points and an extra hit points for every level you gain in this class. As a mounted master you can cast find steed by expending one use of your summon monster ability, the steed lasts for a number of hours equal to your levels in this class(minimum of 2 hours). Lastly a mount summoned this way gains a number or temporary hit points equal to twice your summoner level.
- Extra Attack
Starting at 5th level a mounted master can attack twice instead of once when taking the attack action. Additionally when taking the attack action a summon you have mounted can use their reaction to make one additional attack(such as a hoof kick or a bite)
- Mounted Charge
Starting at 10th level after moving at least 10ft while mounted and attacking you can immediately force a creature of size huge or smaller to make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The DC for this save = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your mount’s Strength score.
- Strength Above All
Valuing the strength of a sturdy creature to carry you into battle you can designate a rideable creature as your mount. Beginning at 14th level either as part of the find steed spell or as a ritual done over the course of 1 hour (which can be done in conjunction with a short rest) you designate a creature as your mount. The creature designated as your mount gains a +4 bonus to their Strength score, additionally they can use your proficiency bonus in place of your own for attack rolls. Secondly you can now cast Find Greater Steed by expending a use of your summon monster ability. The steed lasts for a number of hours equal to half your summoner level (Minimum of 7 hours)
- The Superior Charge
Beginning at 18th level, you and your mount have become close enough to almost think as one. After moving at least 10ft in a straight line while mounted, your first melee attack after the charge deals maximum damage, your mount’s attack also deals maximum damage. Lastly your mount gains an additional +2 to its Strength score.
Below is the list of summoner spells, This list was created Pre-Tasha's, be sure to consult with your DM about spells from this book before adding them to your list.
- Cantrips (0 Level)
- 1st Level
absorb elements, armor of agathys, arms of hadar, beast bond, command, cure wounds, detect evil and good, detect magic, entangle, expeditious retreat, false life, ice knife, identify, jump, mage armor, protection from evil and good, ray of sickness, shield, snare, speak with animals, tasha's hideous laughter, tenser's floating disk, thunderwave, unseen servant
- 2nd Level
alter self, animal messenger, barkskin, beast sense, blindness/deafness, calm emotions, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, gentle repose, gust of wind, hold person, locate animals or plants, maximillian's earthen grasp, mirror image, misty step, ray of enfeeblement, rope trick, silence, spider climb, warding wind, web
- 3rd Level
bestow curse, blink, conjure animals, counterspell, dispel magic, enemies abound, fly, gaseous form, glyph of warding, haste, hypnotic pattern, leomund's tiny hut, life transference, magic circle, meld into stone, nondetection, protection from energy, remove curse, sending, slow, stinking cloud, summon lesser demons, thunder step, tidal wave, tiny servant, tongues, wall of sand, water breathing, wind wall
- 4th Level
banishment, charm monster, confusion, conjure minor elementals, conjure woodland beings, dimension door, dominate beast, fire shield, freedom of movement, giant insect, hallucinatory terrain, locate creature, mordenkainen's faithful hound, mordenkainen's private sanctum, otiluke's resilient sphere, polymorph, stoneskin, summon greater demon, wall of fire, watery sphere
- 5th Level
awaken, cloudkill, conjure elemental, dominate person, far step, hold monster, infernal calling, legend lore, mass cure wounds, planar binding, rary's telepathic bond, scrying, seeming, teleportation circle, wall of force, wall of stone
To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Studied Summoner class, you must meet these prerequisites: Intelligence 13
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Studied Summoner class, you gain the following proficiencies: no armor, and simple weapons