Shadow Stalker (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Shadow Stalker
- 1.1 Shadow Stalker
- 1.2 Creating a Shadow Stalker
- 1.3 Class Features
- 1.3.1 Table: The Shadow Stalker
- 1.3.2 Shadow Armor
- 1.3.3 Quick To Battle
- 1.3.4 Misty Step
- 1.3.5 Drain Focus
- 1.3.6 Darkvision
- 1.3.7 Behind You
- 1.3.8 Killing Arsenal
- 1.3.9 Brutal Attacks
- 1.3.10 Invisibility
- 1.3.11 Extra Attack
- 1.3.12 Disrupt
- 1.3.13 Rapid Escape
- 1.3.14 Defence Spikes
- 1.3.15 Know All
- 1.3.16 Surprise Attack
- 1.3.17 Death Overlord
- 1.3.18 Chaos Generator
- 1.3.19 Pit Lord
- 1.3.20 Ability Score Increase
- 1.3.21 Archetypes:
- 1.4 Shadow Grunt
- 1.5 Shadow Blade
- 1.6 Multiclassing
The army camps for the night, setting up tents and creating campfires. The night seems peaceful and the snowy trees slowly drift back and forth. The general studies plans in his tent, guarded by two paladins who are ready to die for their leader. Suddenly the wind becomes harder and more furious, the campfires extinguish and the cold of the winter freezes the tents. Without time to react, the general is knocked down by a shadowy figure. The guards draw their swords and lunge for the figure, but it reappears behind them, slashes out its longsword and heads hit the hard ground. The rest of the army rushes to the main tent, but a giant fiend comes out of it, whips his whip and sends soldiers flying through the air. The archer battalions prepare to fire on the shadowy assassin, but it reappears in front of them, and quickly kills all of them, and is gone in a puff of smoke.
The shadow stalker is no simple assassin or rogue- he is a powerful figure who sneaks up behind his enemies, and attacks with little regard for those he kills. Able to take a lot of damage, the stalker is a stealthy tank class with a lot of power.
Creating a Shadow Stalker
Why does your character kill? Are they a hired assassin, do they want revenge, or do they just kill for fun? Why would they want to sign pacts with unholy forces to gain such unspeakable power? The stalker should be a figure clouded in darkness and should be easy to anger.
- Quick Build
You can make a Shadow Stalker quickly by following these suggestions. First, Dexterity should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the assassin background. Third, choose longswords or other versatile weapons, but also flexible armor.
As a Shadow Stalker you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor.
Weapons: All simple melee or All simple Range weapons.
Tools: Thieve's Tools.
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Constitution
Skills: Stealth, choose two from: Athletics, acrobatics, deception, survival, intimidation.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Longsword or (b) Scimitar
- (a) Leather Armor or (b) Scale Armor
- (a) Crossbow, light, 30 bolts. or (b) Any simple melee weapon.
- Thieve's Tools
|1st||+2||Shadow Armor, Quick To Battle|
|2nd||+2||Misty Step, Thirst For Blood|
|3rd||+2||Shadow Stalker Archetype, Drain Focus|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Bonus Action|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Killing Arsenal|
|9th||+4||Brutal Attacks, Invisibility|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Disrupt|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Chaos Generator|
- At 1st level, your armor is engulfed in shadows and becomes harder to spot. While wearing medium armor, you can add your Dexterity modifier to your AC up to a maximum +3, instead of +2.
Quick To Battle
- At 1st level, you are quick to battle, and wish to do your best to engage the enemy and deal the first blow. Your initiative modifier increases by +1.
- At 2nd level, you can now cast the misty step spell as an action, five times. Once you expend all your uses, you can't do it again until you complete a short or a long rest.
- Once you reach 2nd level you can drain somebody's focus onto yourself, forcing the target to attack you. Once every hour, you may choose a hostile creature to distract. The target must be fighting a friendly creature, and must be aware of your presence. As an action, you can yell to that creature. The creature doesn't need to be able to hear you. The target can't attack any creature other than you for 10 minutes.
- Your eyesight is increased at 4th level, giving you darkvision up to 30 feet.
- When you reach 4th level, you gain the speed to strike right after teleportation. After using your Misty Step feature, if you appear behind and within 5ft of an creature, you can make an attack against that enemy as part of the same action. You can also make a free attack action on any enemy who is unaware of your presence by exiting from invisibility and attacking on the same turn.
link title====God Speed====
- Your speed increases to allow you to make additional battle moves. At level 6 your base speed outside of combat increases by 20ft.
- At level 8 your available weapons arsenal increases and you may gain proficiency with 2 additional weapon types, melee or ranged.
- At level 9 your attacks become more brutal and less enemies may withstand your brute force. Your modifier for attack rolls increases by +2 for all melee weapons with which you are proficient in.
- At level 9 the shadows lend you their dark cloaks and the normal eye can no longer penetrate your disguise. You can now cast the spell invisibility at will using an action once every 10 hours. However, instead of making another creature invisible, you can now only target yourself, and no longer have to concentrate to keep the spell going: it will last an hour after it is cast, and will end early if you attack or cast another spell, or you can spend an action becoming visible again.
- At level 10 you may make an extra melee attack when using the attack action and your attack made is melee.
- At level 12 you gain the ability to disrupt any creature by shooting dark energy out of your hand at it. This will take an action to use, and the target creature must be within 30ft of you in order to use this spell. Once targeted, the target must succeed on a wisdom check against your performance check. On failure, the target must stop any action it is doing and will have to focus all of its attention on you (i.e. attack you, cast spells directed at you, etc.) for the next 10 minutes. On success, the target may continue his action.
- At level 13 you gain the ability to rapidly escape your enemies if you sense that you are losing. If your current health is equal to or less than 20% of your maximum health you may choose to cast the invisibility spell as an action (the above version of the invisibility spell) and everyone who was currently fighting you will forget about you or your involvement in their lives for 5 minutes. If you choose to do this, you must spend at least 10 minutes getting as far away as possible from your enemies. Also, if you choose to use this action you will exit combat.
- Starting at level 14 teen you can grow spikes all over your body 5 times a day for 1 hour long. Now every time an enemy fails on an attack roll against you, they must succeed on a dexterity save against a DC of 10 or lose 2d12+5 hit points.
- Your knowledge grows, and you can now easily find out the truth from others. Starting at level 15 you may choose to succeed on an insight or perception check instead of failing. You must finish a short/long rest before reusing this feature.
- Starting at level 17 you gain the ability to manipulate time itself to your advantage, and thus you gain enough time when attacking to make an additional attack against unaware targets. When you attack a target who is surprised of you (i.e. ambushing a target, attacking with them not noticing, etc.) you may make an extra melee attack with one of your melee weapons.
- Your knowledge of death grows, and so does your power of it. Starting at level 18, all your melee weapons with which you are proficient with will deal an additional 1d8 necrotic damage.
- As you walk this earth it erupts in chaos, and your simple gaze turns people insane. Starting at level 19, you may choose to change your alignment to chaotic. Also, during the initiative rolls phase of combat you may choose a non-legendary creature to convert into insanity. Once combat begins, that creature will become confused (see homebrew condition "Confused") for 1d6 hours.
- At level 20 you become the devil's own weapon of destruction. Now, at will, you may choose to spend an action to turn into a Pit Fiend for 1d6 minutes. While a Pit Fiend, your maximum health, wisdom, intelligence, and charisma stay the same, but everything else is now Pit Lord. You must finish a long rest before using this action again.
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of you choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
- Your powers grow, and now you may advance yourself in the arts of power.
- The shadow grunt is a powerful being who focuses on absorbing damage. You are now one of the primary tanks of your team and can take on huge loads of damage and still survive.
- You now are better at resisting harsh climate conditions and other survival scenarios. Starting at level 3 you gain proficiency in survival or athletics.
- Death Is For The Weak
- Your powers over survival grow and you are better at resisting death. You now have advantage on death saving throws starting at level 7.
- Shield Of Shadows
- You gain the ability of complete damage absorbtion. If an attack roll against you succeeded by either a one or two off of your AC (i.e. they roll 17 your AC is 16 or they roll 18 and your AC is 16.) you will absorb 1d20+your constitution modifier damage. This feature starts working at level 11.
- Your powers in the art of melee fighting grow, and your swords become ever sharper. You now attack with huge fury and no enemy will be able to oppose you ever again.
- Your swords become sharper and longer, allowing you to hit more foes than before. Upon a successful attack roll against an enemy, you may choose another enemy within 5ft of you and make a second melee attack against it, but you will have to roll a separate attack roll against the second target. This feature cannot work if you made an extra attack.
- Cut Along
- At level 5 your blades become sharp enough to cut through any sort of rope. You can now damage any inanimate object without having to roll an attack roll and your damages against inanimate objects increase by +5 when you deal slashing damage as primary damage from the weapon you are currently using.
- Piercing Stabs
- Your attacks now come with additional brutality and speed, allowing time for an additional piercing attack. Starting at level 7 all your sword-based weapons also do an additional 1d10+your proficiency piercing damage.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Shadow Stalker class, you must meet these prerequisites:Dexterity 13 Constitution 13.
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Shadow Stalker class, you gain the following proficiencies: Stealth, Intimidation.