Shadinger (3.5e Epic Race)
From D&D Wiki
Shadingers are a primordial and esoteric shadow species, whose existence dates back to the primal days of the Cosmos. Shadingers are invulnerable to almost anything created by either mortals or gods. Their origin is all but unknown, even for them. Shadingers are immortal and nigh-indestructible, however apparently also incapable of reproduction; all known Shadingers are many eons old.
Due to their age, Shadingers tend to have a broader perception of events; thus, normally they care little for local problems. However, it isn't unheard of that a Shadinger grows attached to mortal individuals; in such cases, they may get out of their way to protect said individual.
Shadingers are humanoid in shape; in fact, their exact features can resemble those of various humanoids. Their skin and other soft tissues are shadowy black, while their bones, teeth and nails are silvery. Their eyes are pure silver save for the pupil, which is black. Their blood is bright purple. While a Shadinger possesses a vessel, their true form is hidden and can only be seen via the use of a True Sight spell.
Shadingers relations with other species depend on their exact moral alignment; generally speaking, they can get along with anyone whose alignment doesn't oppose theirs. However, they do tend to be somewhat distant when interacting with mortals, to avoid attachments that will lead to pain when the mortal expires.
Any. Shadingers are as variable as mortals in terms of morality and principles.
Since Shadingers predated most gods, they seldom worship them. However, since the gods are nonetheless far more powerful than them, Shadingers pay homage to the gods.
Common, Supernal. Furthermore, their Intuitive Multilingualism ability enables them to quickly learn virtually any language, even codes and encryption.
Any. While in vessels may use the vessels' names.
- Abilities: +40 Strength, +26 Dexterity, +30 Constitution, +12 Intelligence +16 Wisdom, +8 Charisma
- Medium Outsider (Primordial, Shadow): Shadingers are a primordial and esoteric shadow species
- Shadinger base land speed is 450 feet per round. They have swimming speed and climbing speed 450 feet per round and flight speed (perfect maneuverability) 600 feet per round.
- Invulnerability: Shadingers are durable, and not easily injured. They can endure virtually all damage without succumbing to it. They have damage reduction 40/- and a +10 bonus to natural armor.
- Advanced Healing Factor: Shadingers possess a nigh-absolute healing factor. They can quickly regenerate practically all sustained damage, regardless of its severity; potentially, they can completely regenerate from mere tissues. They have regeneration 20/-, and fast healing 5, and restore 5 points of ability damage and 1 point of drained ability per round.
- Heightened Senses: Shadingers possess incredibly keen, sharp and accurate senses. Blindsight out to 300 feet, Blindsense out to 3000 feet, Highly Advanced Scent within 1 mile, Perfect Darkvision, micro vision and telescopic vision up to distance of 4 miles.
- Perfect Perception: Virtually nothing is hidden from a Shadinger's perception; they can see through magical darkness, camouflage and illusions. They can view its true form of things that were magically polymorphed, changed or transmuted, by focusing on them. They can focus their senses to perceive overlapping plane of existence (like the Ethereal plane from the Material Plane).
- Enhanced Essence Sense: Shadingers can sense the presence and nature of any creature within a 30 feet radius, even if they are supernaturally/magically concealed.
- Natural Attacks: Shadingers are capable of inflicting incredible damage. They have a slam attack that deals 2d8 hp damage and overcomes any DR except DR/-.
- Eldritch Nature: Shadingers are never considered extraplanar. They are immune to any non-physical planer trait. Shadingers are healed by both positive and negative energy. They aren't in burst danger from positive energy or in withering danger from negative energy. Moreover, Shadingers receive an additional +10 bonus against all divination and mind-affecting effects.
- Possession: Shadingers are capable of possessing any creature that has a physical body and is also lesser than a demigod. This ability works like the spell Magic Jar (caster level 20 or their HD, whichever is higher), however does not require a receptacle. In order to possess a creature, a Shadinger has to attempt to move into the target’s space. While possessing a creature, they have complete access to said creature's abilities, memories and skills, and gain a +30 bonus on Disguise checks for the purpose of disguising themselves as their vessel. Shadingers grant their vessels most of their traits/abilities (traits/abilities that aren't granted are mentioned so in their description).
- Intangibility: Shadingers can become intangible (incorporeal) at will; while intangible, they can't interact with anything corporeal but can interact with other incorporeal creatures. Shadingers can also make only certain parts of their body intangible, without becoming entirely intangible. Shadingers are able to remain intangible indefinitely. They cannot use this ability while in a vessel.
- Invisibility: Shadingers can become invisible at will, and can remain invisible for as long as they wish. While invisible, Shadingers gain a +20 bonus on all Hide and Move Silently and checks, and can't be revealed via Darkvision or See Invisibility, only via True Seeing.
- Telepathy: Shadingers are able to telepathically communicate with any creature that has Intelligence score, within a 120 feet radius.
- Advanced Immortality: Shadingers are ageless beings that can exist indefinitely. They require no sleep and cannot get tired naturally. Shadingers require no oxygen or nutrition, but can breathe normally and can also consume and completely digest almost any organic substance, as well as some non-organic substances. A Shadinger's vessel doesn't age while possessed.
- Resistances: Shadingers have spell resistance 40 and power resistance 20.
- Immunities: Shadingers are immune to all elements, diseases, poisons, death effects, transmutation effects and holy/unholy damage.
- Direct Teleportation (Su): Shadingers can teleport virtually anywhere, at will. This ability works like the spell Unbounded Teleportation, except they can only teleport themselves and people they are in physical contact with (along with any equipment they are carrying).
- Enhanced Brain Capability: Shadingers possess enhanced brain capability and can process information far quicker and more efficiently than humans. They gain 12 times skill points per level than they should by their class, and can act twice per round.
- Perfect Memory: Shadingers possess perfect photographic memory. Thus, they retain all the memories and skills of any vessel they have ever possessed.
- Intuitive Multilingualism: Shadingers automatically decipher linguistic patterns, and as such can understand and quickly learn any language via sufficient exposure to it.
- Advanced Adhesion: Shadingers aren't entirely subject to gravity; they can cling to as well as walk/climb on surfaces at any angle, without making a Climb check. They also won't fall as long as they remain in contact with a surface, and can negate any fall simply by clinging to a surface.
- Spell-Like Abilities: At Will - Cure Light Wounds, Detect Thoughts, Discern Lies, Dispel Magic, Feather Fall, Hypnotism, Make Whole, Suggestion, Telekinesis. General caster level is equal to 12 + HD.
- Shadingers automatically gain the following feats, even if they do not meet their prerequisites: Alertness, Ambidextrous, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Deft Hands, Diehard, Distant Shot, Dodge, Endurance, Far Shot, Improved Casting, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magic Mind, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Snatch Arrows, Supreme Strength, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting and Unheard.
- hadingers receive a +20 bonus on Athletics, Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks, and have base saving throw bonuses of Fortitude +10, Reflex +8, and Will +8.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Supernal (if possessing an individual, then the individual's race automatic languages, as well). Bonus Languages: Any, including secret languages such as Druidic.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +20
Starting Age: Shadingers are created fully grown. Shadingers are also primordial creatures, who predated most species (even celestial species like angels), planets and even gods.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) can research the Shadingers to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Shadingers are a powerful and esoteric shadow species.|
|10||Shadingers are invulnerable to almost anything created by either mortals or gods. Shadingers are primordial creatures who predated even most of the gods.|
|15||Shadingers can possess other creatures, gaining all of the creature's memories and skills. While Shadingers possess creatures, only the most powerful spells can reveal them.|
|20||Rumors about a specific person that is told to be possessed by a Shadinger and their location.|