SRD Talk:Half-Giants (Race)
From D&D Wiki
I always thought half-giants were children of a giant and a human, so why do they have extra power points, a psi-like ability, and a psiconic favored class? And are they half-fire-giants, to have the Fire Acclimated ability? --DnDer 07:40, 24 July 2007
- The Half-Giants were introduced in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, way back in AD&D times. This explains both the fire resistance and the psionic powers. Maybe somebody who has the old boxes can explain more about them. --Mkill 10:14, 24 July 2007 (MDT)
- How does a half-giant work, anyway? aren't giants a bit too... well, big? --Sam Kay 09:16, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- Giant is the woman most likely Sam... :P. --Aarnott 09:50, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- [shudder]--Sam Kay 10:53, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- Better than the other way around [also shudders] --Aarnott 11:07, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- Yeah, but giant women are even more scary than the men. But even worse: Orc and Goblin women [fit of sudders]. They ARE scary! And at least I don't have to worry about the other way round...--Sam Kay 11:35, 15 August 2007 (MDT)
- Expanded Psionics Handbook states that the Half-Giant is created by sorcerers in the deserts to serve as a slave. It's implied that because of this magical creation process that they have some level of psionic control. I remember there being a magic version of this class somewhere else in the books, but I'm not entirely certain.
This is purely grammatical, but shouldn't there be a ")" after swallow whole in the 2nd paragraph of the powerful build trait? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 08:05, 15 August 2007 (MDT). Please sign your posts.
- Done. Thanks for catching that. --Green Dragon 16:21, 16 August 2007 (MDT)
From which source did half-giants gain martial weapons proficiency? I've looked at the Expanded Psionics Handbook, as well as the errata for it, and it's not in either. Please respond back, as I have a half-giant monk, and I want to see if he can't use something... a little un-monk like. --Tim the Evoker 13:21, 19 September 2009 (MDT)
- It's from traits of the giant type:
|“||Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as any natural weapons.||”|
- Creatures gain all the traits of their type unless specified otherwise. Consequently, this is why elans explicitly say they don't get darkvision. Otherwise they'd get it because darkvision is a trait of the aberration type. —Sledged (talk) 00:41, 20 September 2009 (MDT)
Does the Powerful Build ability allow a Half-Giant's unarmed damage to be that of larger size category, or does that stay at Medium?