Primordial Staff (5e Equipment)
From D&D Wiki
Staff, legendary (requires attunement)
A long staff made of unknown wood-like material, it's 7 ft long, weights 4 lb. and has a shiny orb on its top. There are 21 of them, one for each primordial element, and one for Heaven and one for Hell.
- A long staff made of unknown wood-like material, its 7 ft long, weights 4 lb. and has a shiny orb on its top. There are 21 of them, one for each primordial element. These staves were created and used eons and eons ago by the first mages. The Orb emits a faint glow, so faint that you can hardly see it, even in complete darkness. The glow is always any color besides the actual color of the orb, the reason is unknown even for today's magicians. The orb changes color once per day at midnight until the element has been discovered.
- The Eternity Staff
- The most powerful of the staves is the staff of the eternity element. By itself, it does not do anything. It can however absorb the other staves, and gain the powers of the staves it absorbs. Once it has absorbed all of the other 19 staves, the first time it is used, it explodes causing the effects of all 132 spells at the same time, and the other staves are randomly distributed across the multiverse. The eternity staff will be pulled toward another staff within 1 mile. A strength of 6 or higher is necessary to keep the staff from moving in that direction by itself. An attuned wielder of the eternity staff will feel dissatisfaction until the other staves are all absorbed.
- Which Staff
- The dungeon master may choose or roll randomly for which primordial staff is found. Roll 1d20 if you want the eternity staff to be among the possibilities, or roll 1d20+1 or 2d10 if not. Use the table below. Or just pick a staff of one element.
- Attunement takes one month. During the attunement period, the staff will cast a random 4th level spell per day (midnight to midnight). Roll 2d10 for a random element for that spell.
- Once one of the 21 is found, the element of the staff is not revealed, it must be revealed by performing a great magic of the same element or by studying the staff for 1 year. The wielder can also reveal the element by rolling a d6 for a random spell. The columns are numbered 1 to 6. Each time the staff is used another random spell is rolled again. Once each of the spells of that element has been fired once, the The wielder gains control of which spell to cast from then on. Or the wielder may continue to use the staff to cast a random spell, but this is now rolled on a d12 with spells 7-12 being the planar spells. Note: the elemental spells draw creatures from all 21 elemental planes based on the staff, not just the earth, air, fire, water elements.
- One Spell Per Day
You may cast one spell per tier every actual day. That is a 24 hour day from midnight to midnight, not the usual 'after a long rest'.
An attuned staff can ONLY cast spells that are based on its element as listed below.
|d20||Element||Color||1. Level 4 Element Spell||2. Level 5 Spell||3. Level 6 Spell||4. Level 7 Spell||5. Level 8 Spell||6. Level 9 Spell|
|1||Eternity||changing||7. Conjure Minor Elementals||8. Conjure Elemental||9. Planar Ally||10. Plane Shift||11. Planar Binding||12. Gate|
|2||Order||white||Aura of Purity||Circle of Power||Globe of Invulnerability||Crown of Stars||Antipathy/Sympathy||Foresight|
|4||Light||yellow||Greater Invisibility||Dawn||Sunbeam||Prismatic Spray||Sunburst||Prismatic Wall|
|5||Shadow||violet||Shadow of Moil||Creation||Eyebite||Forcecage||Illusory Dragon||Weird|
|6||Spirit||pink||Locate Creature||Geas||True Seeing||Etherealness||Glibness||Astral Projection|
|7||Mind||tan||Compulsion||Awaken||Mental Prison||Project Image||Telepathy||Psychic Scream|
|8||Earth||brown||Stone Shape||Wall of Stone||Move Earth||Reverse Gravity||Earthquake||Shapechange|
|9||Air||transparent||Storm Sphere||Cloudkill||Chain Lightning||Whirlwind||Control Weather||Storm of Vengeance|
|10||Fire||red||Fire Shield||Flame Strike||Investiture of Flame||Fire Storm||Incendiary Cloud||Meteor Swarm|
|11||Water||blue||Control Water||Maelstrom||Conjure Fey||Plane Shift||Tsunami||True Polymorph|
|12||Cold||cyan||Ice Storm||Cone of Cold||Freezing Sphere||Simulacrum||Mind Blank||Power Word Heal|
|13||Life||green||Aura of Life||Animate Objects||Heal||Resurrection||Clone||True Resurrection|
|14||Death||grey||Blight||Contagion||Circle of Death||Finger of Death||Feeblemind||Power Word Kill|
|15||Celestial||pearl||Death Ward||Legend Lore||Planar Ally||Conjure Celestial||Holy Aura||Gate|
|16||Infernal||black||Dominate Beast||Infernal Calling||Harm||Power Word Pain||Dominate Monster||(infernal) Gate|
|17||Time||indigo||Dimension Door||Hold Monster||Flesh To Stone||Sequester||Demiplane||Time Stop|
|18||Nature||lavender||Conjure Woodland Beings||Commune With Nature||Wall of Thorns||Regenerate||Animal Shapes||Mass Heal|
|19||Space||anti-dark||Freedom of Movement||Scrying||Find the Path||Mirage Arcane||Maze||Imprisonment|
|20||Complexity||chartreuse||Fabricate||Modify Memory||Programmed Illusion||Teleport||Mighty Fortress||Wish|
|21||Void||anti-light||Banishment||Destructive Wave||Forbiddance||Divine Word||Antimagic Field||Invulnerability|
- Spells such as conjure elemental and gate are limited to the element of the staff, for example the primordial fire staff can only conjure a fire elemental, and the infernal gate can only gate to an infernal plane.
- Spells with this limitation are: Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Elemental, Plane Shift, Shapechange, Planar Binding, Planar Ally, and Gate.
- all staves can use the eternity element spells
- The staff will cast any spell as if the wielder is using the 9th slot of magic.
- The dungeon master may customize this item for their campaign, swapping out spells as they see fit.
- The staff may be wielded by a cleric, druid, warlock, or wizard, but not a sorcerer.
- If the staff is broken, the most recent user of the staff will NEVER be able to use spells of the element of the staff again. Once broken, the staff disappears to reappear whole again in the next 6 days, somewhere randomly in the multiverse.
As dungeon master you can of course do what you want with your cosmology and integrate this staff however you like.
If you have not constructed the layout of your elemental planes, this is a layout designed to go with the primordial staves:
|A possible layout for the planes Credit: Jon Grover, 2020|