Ninja (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Professional scouts, spies, secret-agents, saboteurs, agitators, raiders, assassins, terrorists, and mercenaries, who specialize in espionage, irregular combat, guerrilla warfare, and all other forms of dishonorable combat.
Warriors of Shadow
Nobody suspects the halfling man in the corner of the inn is up to no good. When everyone is busy, he silently assesses his target sitting at the bar. The open window will accommodate the escape. As his target drinks merrily, he never sees it coming when five flying blades cut into his back, killing him almost instantly. Everyone is too panicked to realize that the halfling is now missing from the scene, or that he was even there at all.
The lithe figure of a tiefling woman silently scales a wall. With no rope and no magic, nobody will ever know how she performed such a feat. She enters a window, and finds herself in the office of the town official she was hired to investigate. The strongbox under the desk is surely where the incriminating files are kept. Using a tiny piece of metal, she picks the lock and examines the papers within. She has found what she is looking for. And with a silent cloud of dust, she makes her escape from the building.
A half-orc man silently slips his massive frame into the loft over the bed of a sleeping noble. Knowing he could easily crush the noble with his bare hands, he opts instead for the cunning, discreet approach. He takes a thread of silk and lowers its length, until it is merely an inch from the noble's open mouth. Taking a small vial from his pocket, the half-orc trickles the powerful poison down the silken thread, sending it drop by drop into his target's mouth. Nobody will ever know he was there. Just as it should be.
Ninjas are adept at ranged combat, and even more at not being seen. Such as it should be for a warrior of shadows.
Creating a Ninja
How did you come to learn the ways of a ninja? Were you brought up in a family that already knew their shadowy secrets? Did you happen upon a master who took you under their wing? Were you trained by a ninja school? Or, did you simply learn on your own as a means of survival? Whatever the reason, you must have discovered the secrets of these shadowy fighters in some way.
You are a killing machine who uses your mastery of ninjutsu and tools to sneak, deceive and eliminate creatures to aid your cause or simply to earn some quick cash.
- Quick Build
You can make a Ninja quickly by following these suggestions. First, Dexterity should be your highest ability score, followed by Charisma. Second, choose the spy background. Third, choose a scimitar, a burglar's pack, 10 darts, and leather armor
As a Ninja you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: Disguise Kit, Thieves' Tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand or Stealth
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a scimitar or (b) two sickles or (c) a hand crossbow and 20 bolts
- (a) a burglar's pack or (b) a diplomat's pack
- (a) 10 darts or (b) 5 handaxes
- leather armor, a hooded traveler's clothes and two daggers
|1st||+2||Natural Stealth, Throwing Specialist||-|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement||2|
|6th||+3||Fleet of Foot||3|
|7th||+3||Ninja School Feature||3|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||3|
|11th||+4||Ninja School Feature||4|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement||5|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement||6|
|18th||+6||Ninja School Feature||7|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||7|
When you start at 1st level, you are already trained in the art of invisibility. You become proficient in the stealth skill. If you are already proficient in the stealth skill, double your proficiency bonus.
At 1st level, even without a projectile weapon, you are a threat at a range. When you use your action to throw any weapon with the thrown property, the damage dealt is equal to the weapon's damage die + proficiency bonus + Dexterity modifier.
Beginning at 2nd level, you are able to fully and completely conceal a limited number of unique tiny tools and weapons on your person, as shown on the class feature table. If you are stripped completely nude, you can only conceal one item.Some concealed tools require a saving throw the dc is 8 + prof. + Dexterity. During a short rest or long rest, you can spend 1 hour to build one of these ninja tools. Every concealed tool can only be used once after being crafted. Once they are used, a new tool must be crafted.
- Smoke Grenade
This is a ball of moist, but flammable material, compressed into a tube-like shape. It lights itself aflame inside when crushed or thrown, spewing a thick cloud of grey-black smoke into a 20-foot radius. All creatures within the smoke must make a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the smoke clears, or when they leave the smoke. The smoke lasts for 1 minute.
This device is filled with a thick, sticky, flammable fluid, which can be thrown up to 30 feet. When thrown or crushed, the firebomb explodes, spraying flaming goo over an area of a 15-foot radius. Any place where the firebomb explodes is aflame for 1 minute. All creatures within the blast radius must succeed a Dexterity save, or take 1d12 fire damage and be set on fire. Any creature who succeeds this save takes no damage and is not aflame. On a fail, the afflicted creatures are aflame and take 1d6 fire damage at the beginning of each of their turns. The creatures who have caught fire may take an action to extinguish themselves. At 10th the initial damage becomes 2d12 and the damage at the start of the turn becomes 2d6.
- Piercing Caltrops
A handful of razor-sharp and angular spikes. These caltrops can be thrown up to 30 feet, and cover a 10-foot radius centered on a point within range. The area becomes difficult terrain. When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 1d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels.
A stack of 5 flat, aerodynamic blades. As an attack action, up to 3 shurikens can be thrown at once at up to 3 different creatures of your choosing. Each thrown shuriken deals 1d4 piercing damage, for a range of 30/120.
- Poison Darts
A bundle of 3 darts crafted from twigs and tree frog poison. As an action, you may throw a poison dart for a range of 20/60. On a successful hit, the targeted creature takes damage equal to 1d4 piercing and makes a Constitution Saving throw. If the target fails the saving throw it take 1d8 poison damage and is poisoned for a minute, if successful the target takes no poison damage and is not poisoned. At the end of the turn they can roll a con save to end the condition on a success.
- Oil Slick
During your turn, you may use a bonus action to throw a single bottle of oil at a creature up to 30 feet away from yourself. All enemies in a 10 ft radius from where the oil lands must make a Dexterity saving throw. If they fail they will slip and become prone. If they succeed they will avoid slipping. A creature can walk through the area of oil at half their normal speed. If they try to move any faster than half their normal speed, for every 5 ft inside the Oil Slick they will need to make a Dexterity saving throw.
As an action, you may attempt to render a creature unconscious. Depending on if they notice you or not. If they do not notice you, you can stealthily Chloroform your target. the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. Alternatively, if they do notice you, you can attempt to grapple and Chloroform your target. Make a grapple check against the target. If you win the contest the creature rolls the con save, if you fail the Chloroform fails to affect the target and becomes inert, the creature is rendered unconscious for a number of hours equal to a 1d4. Any damage on the target has a chance to wake them. If the target is harmed while unconscious they roll a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + Dex mod + your proficiency bonus). On a success, the creature notices you and or breaks free of your grapple, unaffected.
- Bamboo Snorkel
A simple tube of hollow reeds. With this item in your mouth, you can swim submerged 1 foot underwater, negating the need to come up for air.
- Gas Mask
When wearing this item over your face, you can breathe normally and take no damage from noxious atmospheres. This tool is effective for 8 hours before the valve inside it loses efficiency and a new one must be crafted.
When you reach the 3rd level, you enroll in a school of ninjutsu. You can choose from the School of Cunning, the School of Infiltration, or the School of Discipline and gain features for the school you have chosen at the 3rd level, and again at the 7th, 11th, and 18th levels.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
When you reach the 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Fleet of Foot
When you reach 6th level, your speed increases by 10 feet.
When you reach the 9th level, you learn to defeat enemies by avoiding them as much as possible. When you use your concealed tools, the damage they inflict causes damage over time to the targeted creature equal to 2d4 + half your ninja level rounded down. This effect lasts for a number of turns equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum of 1). At the start of their turn, the affected creature may make a Dexterity saving throw (DC= 10 + your proficiency bonus). On a successful save, the effect of the damage over time is ended. The creature may attempt this save until they succeed, or until the effect ends.
When you reach the 10th level, your throwing potential increases further. When you use an action to throw an item, you now may throw up to 2 items at up to 2 creatures of your choosing.
When you reach the 13th level, you can more easily spot a creature's weaknesses. Whenever you use the attack action, you can land a critical attack on a roll of 18-20.
When you reach the 14th level, your ability to throw reaches incredible levels. Whenever you use an action to throw a weapon, item, or concealed tool, the range for which you can throw is increased by 50 feet.
When you reach the 15th level, you learn to make do with anything you have. Any weapon that does not have the thrown property now can be thrown for a range of 30/60.
Additionally, when you throw a weapon that does not have the thrown property, it deals damage equal to its normal damage die, instead of 1d4.
When you reach the 17th level, you learn to make your concealed tools more potent. When you throw a tool, which activates a radius effect, the radius of the tool's effect increases by 30 feet.
When you reach the 20th level, you learn the deadliest of techniques. During combat, when you roll a 20 on an attack roll, you may use this feature as an action to attempt kill a creature in one strike. When you activate this feature, the creature you target must succeed on a constitution saving throw with a DC equal to that of your Concealed Tools feature. On a failed save, you instantly kill any creature you target with this feature. On a success, your attack counts as a normal critical hit. If you successfully kill a creature with this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.
You were professionally trained in the martial arts of ninjutsu, the craft of warfare through deceit and dishonor. The features you learn depend on whether you have chosen to emulate the School of Cunning, the School of Infiltration, or the School of Discipline.
School of Cunning
Those who study this school of ninja fully understand the art of slyness and deception, and use it to its fullest effect.
- Cunning Tools
Beginning at the 3rd level, you learn to use a new set of tools of your trade to better supplement your school. During a long or short rest, you may spend 1 hour to build one of these ninja tools. Every concealed tool can only be used once after being crafted. Once they are used, a new tool must be crafted.
- Noisemaker: A small, yet loud explosive. When ignited, the fuse burns for 5 seconds, before exploding. This item can be thrown up to 30 feet from where you are standing. All creatures within a 50 foot radius can hear the loud cracking noise it makes upon impacting a solid surface. Any creature within 15 feet of the source of the noise suffers 2d8 thunder damage, and must make a constitution save. On a failed save, the targeted creatures become deafened for 1 minute. At tenth level the damage is increased to 4d8.
- Poison Vial: A tiny tube of powerful poison, which can be slipped into food or drink, coated on objects, or thrown 30 feet at any creature. When the poison is ingested in any way, or if the vial breaks when thrown at a creature, the targeted creature must make a Constitution saving throw of DC 10 + your proficiency bonus. On a failed save, the creature contracts the poisoned condition.
- False Coins: A handful of 5 counterfeit coins, which bear an uncanny resemblance to the real thing. When paying for a transaction, the creature selling the items must make a perception check. On a failed check, the false coins are treated as real coins. On a successful check, the seller catches on to the trick, and refutes the transaction.
- Extra Tools
Beginning at the 7th level, you learn to make better use of your components to make your concealed tools. Now, whenever you craft a concealed tool, you may spend 1 hour to craft up to 2 tools of 1 type, or 1 tool of 2 types.
- Dishonorable Strike
Beginning at the 11th level, you learn to take advantage of apparent weaknesses. When a creature is prone, poisoned, blinded, deafened or has its speed reduced, any melee attack against the afflicted creature equals weapon damage + proficiency bonus + Dexterity modifier.
- Natural Charm
Beginning at the 18th level, you learn the value of discretion. When making a Charisma (Persuasion) or (Deception) skill check against another creature, you may use an action to treat the DC as 8 + Charisma modifier, regardless of the creature's natural DC. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) and regain expended uses upon finishing a long rest.
School of Infiltration
A ninja who studies infiltration is rarely seen. There are some who doubt this school really exists, for how seldom its practitioners are noticed.
- Infiltration Tools
When you reach the 3rd level, you learn to craft tools that will better suit your needs. During a long or short rest, you may spend 1 hour to build one of these ninja tools. Every concealed tool can only be used once after being crafted. Once they are used, a new tool must be crafted.
- Lockpicks: 3 tiny, crooked strips of metal, which can be used to unlock doors when no key is available. As an action, these items can be used on any non-magical door. For a simple wooden door of a shop or a house, the DC is 8. For a metal door, such as a safe, a lockbox or a prison, the DC equals 15.
- Climbing Claws: When climbing with these on both of your hands, you can climb the wall without a climbing check. but for climbing on ceilings, you get proficiency on climbing instead.
- Decoy: A small, simple innocuous object that seems perfectly commonplace. When you are seen during a stealth check, you may use your reaction to place this object in your current position, while you quickly hide elsewhere. The DC for using this action is equal to DC 10 + the alerted creature's Wisdom modifier. On a successful stealth check, you are unseen and the creature is not alerted. On a failed stealth check, you are unseen, but the creature is now on alert.
- Master of Terrain.
When you reach the 7th level, you learn greater techniques for navigating difficult terrain. Choose any terrains from arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain, ruins or swamp. Whenever you are in those terrains of your choice, you gain advantage on all dexterity and wisdom checks, making yourself a phantom on your own turf.
- Ghost Walk
When you reach the 11th level, you nearly become a phantom. As an action, you are able to walk through any non-magical barrier that you can touch, and travel through it at half your movement speed, before you must exit it. When you are forced to exit, you do so on the side of the barrier that you are closest to. You are able to use this feature 3 times, and regain expended uses upon finishing a long rest.
- Without a Trace
Starting at the 18th level, you are able to disappear and leave your enemies completely befuddled. As an action, you are able to disappear in a cloud of thick dust. When you disappear, you are able to teleport up to 50 feet from where you activated this feature to any unoccupied space that you can see. You are not able to reappear in any space that another object or creature is already occupying.
Additionally, the cloud of dust that you create blows in a 15 foot radius from the point where you activate this feature. Any creatures caught in the radius must make a DC15 Dexterity saving throw, or be blinded for 1 minute. You are able to use this feature 1 time, and may not use it again until you have completed a long rest.
School of Discipline
A tutorship in which adds to the deadly nature of the ninja, these practitioners weave the way of the shadows and their own martial prowess for a swift yet silent macabre.
- Discipline Prowess
At the start of the 3rd level, you are taught more extensive ninjutsu maneuvers to become even further a threat. You gain 4 Superiority Dice, each starting at an 8 sided die, and can choose 3 Maneuvers or Ninjutsu Maneuvers. Superiority Dice rules remain in effect
- Ninjutsu Maneuver; Flames of Amaterasu: shooting a mixture of oils engulfed in flames as the shape of a fire ball exploding in a 20ft square radius, Exhausting Oil Slick and Flame Bomb, (This maneuver requires both) Roll a superiority die. The opponent makes a saving dexterity throw takes an initial ‘X’d12 of damage, ‘X’ is equal to your ninja level capping at 5, and a fire damage of 1d8 + results of the roll if it’s a direct attack hit, 10 ft square innermost or fire damage of ‘Y’d6 plus the result of the roll if they are hit in the splash of the attack, which is anything in the 10ft of splash damage ‘Y’ is 1/3 of your ninja level capping at 9.
, rounded down. The opponent must make a dexterity saving throw to put out the flames.
- Ninjutsu Maneuver; Deadly Precision: add your superiority die to the damage of each projectile of shuriken thrown, the targets then make a con saving throw. On fail the targets are stunned and cannot make a action during their turn.
- Ninjutsu Maneuver; Shrouded: as a bonus action or reaction, you may use Smoke Grenade, guarantee blinding the enemy. Using a superiority die, roll a 6 or higher to teleport away 30 ft.
- Ninjutsu Maneuver;From the Shadows: if unnoticed or seen, roll a superiority die. Add the result of the roll + your Dex modifier and proficiency bonus to the damage.
- Ninja Maneuver; Scrappy: as an action roll a superiority die. If the number is between 1-3 take d4 of damage piercing. If 4-7 make a concealed tool instantly. If 8+ create 2 concealed tools instantly. You can only use this maneuver once per long rest. Concealed Weapon carry rules still apply. (See ninja chart)
- Ninja Maneuver; Fangs of the Orochi: when preforming a melee attack with or without a weapon, exhaust any amount of poison darts and roll a superiority die. Add the result to the damage and the opponent is now poisoned. The poison lasts x turns/ minutes and takes 1d8 of poison damage every turn/minute, this number is equal to the amount of darts exhausted.
- Ninja Maneuver; Fuuma: Windfall of Death: exhaust 5 shurikens to summon the Legandary magic weapon, Fuuma: Windfall of death. This is a Demonic magical Shuriken ranging at 5ft in height. Roll superiority die. This weapon does 3d6 slashing+the result of the roll+Dex modifier. This is a throwing weapon, that returns to hand after being thrown. Has 5 throws before the weapon vanishes. Take 1d4 when the weapon vanishes
- Ninja Maneuver; Grapple using your chained based weapon or sickle your propell yourself by throwing your weapon at a wall or enemy with in 30 ft + roll of superiority die. 1-4 10 Ft 5-8 30 ft. If you grapple into a enemy they make a constitution saving throw, on fail they are knocked prone and take 1d8 of blundering damage
- Ninja Maneuver; Cherished poison as a bonus action, exhausting any amount of poison darts, roll a superiority die. Target within 60 ft gets healed the result + ‘x’D4, X is the amount of poison darts expended.
- Ninja Maneuver; Hanzo’s Pincer as a reaction when the target goes in for an attack, have them make a dex saving throw. On fail, you may have an attack action,roll a Superiority die. Add the result to the damage. (The target still plays the turn if able)
- Live and Learn
At the 7th level you gain knowledge from your mistakes and successes, gaining 2 superiority dice and can learn 3 more Ninja Maneuvers or Maneuvers. All of your superiority die are now 12 sided die.
At the 11th level you learn to appreciate your resources and whenever you get the chance to get some. After getting a kill, you can create a concealed weapon or regain a superiority die. 4 uses per short rest.
- Sacred Arts
At the 18th level you finally learn the true arts of ninjutsu, arts stored away for the safety of others. You may choose 2 Forbidden Maneuvers.
- Forbidden Maneuver; Waltz of the Cherry Blossom: during a successful attack, you swiftly bounce around your opponent, striking them multiple times before they can even react. Roll a superiority die. Equal to the result, roll that many d20. The opponent takes that much damage in addition to the attack. You Gain a level of exhaustion and cannot use another reaction, bonus action, nor action for the rest of your turn, nor could you before you preform this maneuver.
- Forbidden Maneuver; Tsukuyomi’s Retort as a reaction you can counterattack using the very attack directed towards you at the opponent, using their modifiers as well.your saving throw regardless of number always succeeds. You can only use this maneuver once per long rest
- Forbidden Maneuver; Muramasa: Blade of Fatalities roll superiority die, for the amount rolled roll that many d8 die. You take that much damage. Create the Legandary magical demonic weapon Muramasa: Blade of fatalities. It deals 3d12 slashing +proficiency bonus+Dex Modifier. Whenever you deal damage using the blade gain life equal to the amount dealt, and add a d12 die to the blades damage attribute. Lasts 2 hours before the blade vanishes.