Magister (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
The Beginning of the Cycle
A man wonders why this happened to him of all people. His family all slaughtered in a attack. His friends all filled with arrows from the passing army. The entire town burned down and looted beyond any acceptable extent. Suddenly out of what seems to come out of nowhere a strange figure cloaked in a shadowy cloak. The figure promises the Man his revenge and all he has to do is follow him.
The man accepts the figures offer and a handshake makes the deal as a the shadow lets off a malevolent thunderous laugh as a shadowy storm slowly encloses the man. As the shadow-like mass encapsulates him he sees a feint light, giving him hope.
He wakes up the next day thinking it's just a dream, but he has a sudden goal after said nightmare, to become a great spellcaster as he sets off on his journey
Creating a Magister
- Quick Build
You can make a Magister quickly by following these suggestions. First, Charisma should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the Scholar background.
As a Magister you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d6 per Magister level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + Constitution modifier per Magister level after 1st
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Hand crossbow
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Saving Throws: Charisma and Wisdom
Skills: Medicine, and choose two from: Arcana, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Deception, and Perception
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Quarterstaff or or (b) Daggers
- (a) Priest's Pack or or (b) Scholar's Pack
- Herbalism Kit
- Arcane Focus
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 4D4x10 Gold Pieces in funds.
|Cantrips Known||Spells Known||Presence||Features||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|4th||+2||4||9||1d4||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||4||13||1d6||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|10th||+4||5||15||1d8||Life From the Chaos||4||3||3||3||2||—||—||—||—|
|12th||+4||5||17||1d8||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||3||2||1||—||—||—|
|13th||+5||5||18||1d10||Shadow Chain/Blooming Light||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||—||—|
|15th||+5||5||20||1d10||Light/Dark Unbound Derelict||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||—|
|16th||+5||6||21||1d10||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||—|
|17th||+6||6||22||1d10||Further Into the Abyss||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||1|
|19th||+6||6||24||1d12||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||3||3||2||1||1||1|
You have attuned yourself to the forces of light and darkness, and are able to control them to some degree. As an action, you can alternate between Light Stance and Dark Stance by concentrating for a turn and gain access to features depending on which Stance you are currently utilizing. You may choose a Stance during a long rest as well.
- Light Stance: - Gain a bonus to healing equal to 1d4 in all Healing Spells. Also, it gives the Caster temporary hit points equal to the additional health healed. You gain access to your Cleric spell list.
- Dark Stance: - Gain a bonus to damaging Spells equal to 1d4 of the Spell Element. You also heal yourself for the bonus damage dealt and you gain access to your Warlock spell list.
The bonus healing and damage increase as shown in the Magister table.
Somehow, one way or another, you found yourself on the thin line that separates the ever-clashing forces of light and darkness. How it happened doesn't matter, but the fact remains you have obtained power only you can wield.
At 1st level, you know 2 cantrips of your choice from the Cleric and Warlock spell lists. You learn additional Cleric and Warlock cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Magister table.
The Magister table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these monochromancer spells, you must expend a spell slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know three 1st level spells of your choice from the Cleric and Warlock spell list. The Spells Known column of the Magister table shows when you learn more Magister spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the two List of Spells you know and replace it with another spell from the Cleric or Warlock spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your Magister spells, as the strength of your spells is reliant on your ability to effectively control the forces you wield. You use your Charisma modifier whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Magister spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one:
- Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier
- Spell attack modifier = your proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier
You can use an arcane focus or holy symbol as a spellcasting focus for your Magister spells.
At level 2 Your stances gain additional benefits depending on the the Light level of the location you are in.
- Well Lit/Daytime Areas - Healed allies gained advantage on their next attack, Also they may roll a 1d4 and add it to the next skill check or save they make.
- Poorly Lit/Nighttime Areas - You extend the Duration of Crowd Control and Buffing spells by 30 seconds (5 Turns.)
At 3rd level, you choose a Way of Bending Matter. Choose between Monochromatic Arbiter and The Voidblade all detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd and again at 7th, 11th, 14th, 20th
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Beginning at 5th level, you learn how to temporary imbue your aura of death or life into your weapon. You can expend a spell slot to infuse the weapon you’re wielding with either aura. You can withdraw your Aura Infusion as a Bonus Action, otherwise, the effect lasts one minute The weapon also becomes magical if it isn't already, and any pre-existing magical quality it might have becomes replaced by one infusion from the following list:
- Light Stance: - White Flames erupt from your weapon. While it is ablaze, it deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage Any flammable object hit by your attack(s), ignites if it isn't being worn or carried. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 14th level (2d6) and 18th level (3d6).
- Dark Stance: - Your weapon lets out a banshee like shriek as it slowly surrounded by a writhing black mass that slowly creeps it's way up and around the blade. Due to the fear instilling shriek all enemies in a 15 Foot Radius must make a wisdom saving throw against your spell save, If failed the creature is frightened. When you hit with an attack, your target takes an extra 1d6 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 14th level (2d6) and 18th level (3d6).
At 6th level. The Shroud of darkness rises, showing The Lethal or Pure Nature of those born in this Domain.
- When in Light Stance, you can use a bonus action to increase all healing received in 1d8+Charisma Modifier. A Constitution saving throw must be made (DC equals to Spell save). If failed, deals 1d4 to you and all healed allies.
- When in Dark Stance, You can use a bonus action to add a additional Infusion die to the damage of a spell . A Constitution saving throw must be made (DC equals to Spell save). If failed, The extra damage goes to the Caster.
This feature can be used a number of time equal to your Charisma Modifier Per Long Rest for each Stance.
At the 9th level, the healing spells you cast on others heal you as well. When you cast a spell that restores hit points to a creature other than you, Light Stance engulfs you regaining hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). Alternatively when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points while in Dark stance gain temporary hitpoints equal the Magister's level + Charisma modifier.
Life From the Chaos
At 10th level. The constant exposure to Light and Darkness brought the Limbo together.
You gain the ability to create unique creatures at your disposal.
When a Short or Long Rest is made, you can conjure a spirit based on which stance you made the rest.
- Light Stance: Creates a shapeless spirit that can travel up to 1 mile, identifing sources of Darkness.
- Dark Stance: Creates a shapeless spirit That can travel up to 1 mile, Identifing sources of Light.
Alternatively, it can be used to give you temporary hitpoints equal the Magisters's level + Charisma modifier.
Shadow Chain/Blooming Light
At 13th level. Self Improvement is the greatest difference between good hunters and bad ones. Every technique of Light and Dark is essencial for total domination.
You gain the following benefits:
In Light Stance: As action , you can channel Light from your body and project into an ally within 30 feet. The next melee attack the target ally does against a creature provokes a Con saving throw from it. if it fails, the creature receives the blindness status effect and it is vulnerable to radiant damage for one minute.
In Dark Stance As an action you can channel Shadow Chains from your body. Choose 2 creatures within 90 feet of you, they must make a Dexterity saving throw or the chains will be attached to them giving them the restrained condition, this effect lasts 1 Minutes or Until the enemy is moved more than 90 feet from you.
This feature can be used once per Long Rest for each Stance.
Light/Dark Unbound Derelict
At 15th level. As an action you can teleport up to two creatures you can see within 45 feet to a Demiplane which lasts up to one minute. If anyone dies inside the Demiplane before the timer is up the remaining creatures are kicked out. Willing creatures don't need to make a saving throw but unwilling creatures must make a Charisma saving throw against the Magister's spell save. Based on the stance the Demiplane grants buffs and debuffs for those inside during their stay.
Light Stance: All allied damage is considered radiant damage, ignoring resistance and immunity. Also, every creature takes 2d8 additional damage. Dark Stance: Amplify all melee damage dealt by allies in 2d8. Any spell cast by any creature is dispelled as per the Antimagic field spell.
Further Into the Abyss
At the 17th level, your Charisma is permanently increased by 4 with a new potential maximum of 24.
At the 18th level, You no longer age naturally, making you essentially immortal to the ravages of time. Magical effects can still age you. Damage and death effects can still kill you per normal.
Duality in Singularity
At 20th level. Light, Dark... what's the difference?
During combat, each time that you change your stance, you gain a stack of Duality. With three stacks you can access the Twilight Stance for one minute.
In Twilight Stance both spell lists can be used and you are considered using both stances at the same time.
Changing via Dark/Light Matter does not stack duality.
- Evergrowing Darkness/Light
At 3rd level, You may swap between light and dark stance as a bonus action Every time you change your stance you gain +1 to hit (max +3) and +1 to all healing (max +3) and damage rolls (+3). This effect ends when you don't switch stances for 3 turns.
- Umbral Sheen Control
At 7th level, you gain a passive and an active.
- Light Stance: The caster can not be surprised by creatures in the dark.
- Dark Stance: If you are surprised you take half the damage.
- Light Stance: Absorb Light to increase the range of healing spells. Touch spells turn into 30 feet.
- Dark Stance: As a bonus action when you cast a spell, you make it that your next attack lowers the target's AC by one (max of two) if it hits. This effect lasts one minute.
The active features can be used a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier.
- Prismatic/Umbral Prison
At 11th level, create a prison that affects one enemy creature provoking a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save. If it fails it will be surrounded by a prismatic light or a black box (depending on the stance).
- Prismatic Light: An ally within 40 feet of the caster can make a reaction to attack the creature stuck in the prismatic light. If the attack hits or misses the creature inside the prismatic light must make a Dexterity saving throw to break free. Once the creature is out it's immune to the Prismatic Light effect for 24 hours.
- Black Box: The target is restrained for one turn. Each turn the target takes 3d10 necrotic damage, when the damage is applied the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw to get out. Once the creature is out it is immune to the Black Box for 24 hours.
This feature can e used two times per stance per long rest or when you fully stack Evergrowing Darkness/Light
- Dark Void/Radiant Light
At 14th level. The world is your domain, send them where you please. As an action you create a pulse that pushes enemies and punishes them:
- Light Stance: Creates a pulse of 30 foot radius. Hostile creatures within range make a Strength saving throw to not be pushed to center of the circle and be blinded for five rounds, otherwise nothing happens to the creature.
- Dark Stance: Creates a pulse of 30 foot radius. Hostile creatures within range make a Strength saving throw to not be pushed to center of the circle and receive two points of exhaustion for four rounds, otherwise nothing happens to the creature.
- Personal Space
At 20th level the effects of Prismatic/Umbral Prison can affect you and two other targets. When you are inside the prision you gain a bonus based on your stance:
- Light Stance: Half the damage you deal is converted to healing to a nearby ally within 60 feet of you.
- Dark Stance: All damage you deal ignores resistance and immunity and you deal additiontal 1d10 force damage.
- Twilight Stance: Causes 50% more damage and 25% of the damage is converted in self heal.
The effect lasts for one minute and resets if you kill a creature, otherwise one time per long rest.
When you adopt this tradition at 3nd level, you gain proficiency with light armor, and you gain proficiency with one type of one-handed melee weapon of your choice.
- Void Blade
Starting at 3rd level you gain the ability to use a long forgotten technique, you cloak your sword in that of the void
You can use a bonus action to summon the Voidblade, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Voidblade at any time (no action required).
While your Voidsword is active, you gain the following benefits:
You may use your Charisma for attack and damage rolls with the Void You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +1) Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Charisma modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.
- Extra Attack
Starting at 7th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one spell in place of one of those attacks.
- Lesser Voidsword
At 11st level, Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This also adds 1d10 Necrotic damage to the sword.
- Magical Cut
At 14th level, once in each of your turns when you miss an attack roll against a creature, the creature takes force damage equal to your proficiency bonus.
- Dance of Death
At 20th level you may now add you prof. bonus to the damage of your sword while Voidblade is active.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the <!-Magister-> class, you must meet these prerequisites: 13 Charisma
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the <!-Magister-> class, you gain the following proficiencies: Light Armor, Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbows
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Classes<!-religion/patron-based caster-fighter-><!-low damage output with a primary focus on being able to restore hit points, remove conditions, and add buffs to other creatures-><!-pact-based arcane caster-><!-gains power through knowledge, almost always spellcaster-><!-keep this category if the class uses multiple tags->