Magic Marksman (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Magic Marksman
- 1.1 Creating a Magic Marksman
- 1.2 Class Features
- 1.2.1 Table: The Magic Marksman
- 1.2.2 Unarmored Defense
- 1.2.3 Spellcasting
- 1.2.4 Combat Style
- 1.2.5 Nimble Movement
- 1.2.6 Pursuer
- 1.2.7 Agile Body
- 1.2.8 Ability Score Increase
- 1.2.9 Extra Attack
- 1.2.10 Blind Spot
- 1.2.11 Spell Interrupt
- 1.2.12 Land's Stride
- 1.2.13 Covering Fire
- 1.2.14 Calm Mind
- 1.2.15 Untouchable
- 1.2.16 Double Dash
- 1.2.17 Synchronization
- 1.2.18 Full Reaction
- 1.2.19 God Speed
- 1.2.20 Perfect Style
- 1.3 Combat Style list
- 1.4 Magic Marksman Spell List
- 1.5 Unique Spells
- 1.6 Multiclassing
Magic Marksman is based off of "Legretta", from Tales of the Abyss game. The main characteristic is effective ranged combat, quick and fast maneuverability, and half spell casting capabilities.
Creating a Magic Marksman
|Legretta, Copyrights to Bandai Namco, http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Legretta_(ToA).png|
It uses dexterity based ranged weapons, and spell casting uses intelligence.
- Quick Build
You can make a Magic Marksman quickly by following these suggestions. First, Dexterity should be your highest ability score, followed by Intelligence. Second, choose Hand Crossbows as your weapon of choice. Background doesn't matter.
As a Magic Marksman you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Bow, Daggers, Darts, Slings, Hand Crossbows, Firearms, 1 Martial Weapon of your choice
Tools: Choose one from Flute, Lute, Lyre, Pan Flute, Viol
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Stealth.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) 2x hand crossbow, 40 case, crossbow bolt or (b) heavy crossbow, 20 case, crossbow bolt
- (a) dagger or (b) sling, 20 pebbles
- (a) dungeoneer's pack or (b) explorer's pack
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 5d4 x 10 gp in funds.
|Cantrips Known||Nimble Movement||Features||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|1st||+2||2||Unarmored Defense, Spellcasting||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+2||2||10ft||Combat Style, Nimble Movement||2||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||2||10ft||Pursuer, Agile Body 1||3||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||3||10ft||Ability Score Improvement||3||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+3||3||15ft||Extra Attack 1||4||2||—||—||—|
|7th||+3||3||15ft||Blind Spot, Spell Interrupt||4||3||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||3||20ft||Ability Score Improvement, Land's Stride||4||3||—||—||—|
|11th||+4||4||25ft||Covering Fire, Extra Attack 2||4||3||3||—||—|
|12th||+4||4||25ft||Ability Score Improvement, Agile Body 2||4||3||3||—||—|
|15th||+5||4||30ft||Untouchable, Double Dash||4||3||3||2||—|
|16th||+5||4||30ft||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||2||—|
|18th||+6||4||35ft||Full reaction, Agile Body 3||4||3||3||3||1|
|19th||+6||4||35ft||Ability Score Improvement, God Speed||4||3||3||3||2|
Beginning at 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Intelligence modifier.
You have studied and memorized arcane magic as second nature.
At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the Magic Marksman spell list. You learn additional Magic Marksman cantrips of your choice at higher levels.
- Learning Spells
You can only learn number of different spells equal to the number of spell slots you have at that level. For example: if you have 2, 1st level spell slots, then you must keep track of the spells that you've chosen, and can only cast those spells until you gain another spell slot in the same spell level.
- Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for Magic Marksman spells.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier
Starting at 2nd, you can add a style of your choice. Repeat this at 12th and 20th level. Choose between:
- Close Combat
- Nimble Stance
- Dual Marksman
- Magic Caster
- Adaptive Marksman
- Melee Caster
- Harmonic Stance
All detailed at the end of the class description.
Starting at 2nd level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you are not wearing armor or wielding a shield. This bonus increases when you reach certain Magic Marksman levels, as shown in the table.
At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move.
At 13th level, you gain the ability to move through hazardous terrain without taking its effect as long as the move doesn't end inside the hazard.
Starting at 3rd level, you can select a creature you know the name, looks, and have fought and researched their race before. When you are in combat against that specific member of that species, you know where that one specific target is and your first attack against them is treated as a critical.
You can use this feature once a week.
Starting at 3rd level, your Dexterity score and maximum Dexterity increases by 2. Repeat this at 18th level.
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 12th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Starting at 7th level, if you make an attack from the front, then make another attack from behind the target on the same turn, the second attack's damage rolls an extra 1d10 piercing damage.
Starting at 7th level, whenever a creature casts a spell while in your shooting range, you can use your reaction and make an attack of opportunity against them. on a hit, their spell save or spell attack bonus decreases by 2. You do no damage with this attack.
Starting at 8th level, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.
In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.
Starting at level 10 as an action, make an attack roll, if it would hit, your allies gain advantage on their first attack against that creature until the end of that creatures turn. You deal no damage with this attack.
If you roll a natural 20 to hit, your allies can treat their attacks as critical if they hit.
You can use this ability 3 times per long rest.
Starting at 13th level, you have advantage against being frightened.
You can take short or long rest through minor distractions.
Starting at 15th level, gain +2 AC when an opponent within 5 feet of you targets you for an attack until the end of the round.
Starting at 15th level, whenever you perform the dash action, you can spend your bonus action to use the dash action again.
Starting at 17th level, your teammates gain advantage on their saving throws, if you are doing the same check together at the same time and are within 5 feet of you
Starting at 18th level, you can move faster, past your limits. You can use your reaction to make an action as if you were under the effects of the haste spell.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Starting at 19th level, double your total initiative.
- Any bonus movement you gain from your style features, gain double that amount.
- You gain one additional reactions per turn.
At 20th level you gain one additional style of your choice, ignoring its style restrictions.
Combat Style list
You add new style to your arsenal.
Close Combat focuses on fighting enemies at close range, you gain following features:
- Every 10ft you move towards the enemy before attacking with ranged weapon gives you 1 bonus damage to your attack to that enemy.
- You can make melee attacks with your bows or crossbows as if you are proficient with it, and they do 1d6 + dexterity modifier damage instead.
- You gain attacks of opportunity on enemies moving away from melee range.
- If you take this style you can't take Dual Marksman
Nimble Stance uses quick movement as part of their way to fight, and you gain following features:
- Actions that has grapple or shove effect gets disadvantage against you.
- You can use your reaction to evade single target missile based attacks and take no damage. You must move distance up to half of your speed in a direction of your choice, and if you move less than 5ft, then the evasion fails. This does provoke attacks of opportunity.
- Gain 2 bonus to your initiative.
- If you take this style you can't take Adaptive Marksman
Dual Marksman focuses on shooting multiple ranged attacks to dish out damage, and you gain following features:
- You can make two ranged weapon attacks as a single Attack action each attack has a -5 to hit. Both crossbow or firearms must be able to be equipped by one hand.
- You may reload up to two ranged weapons at once, while both of your hands are holding weapons you are proficient in.
- Instead of making a standard attack, you may make a massive volley of 10ft by 10ft attack, which deals half of your damage, without stat modifier bonuses, rounded up. It costs 20 ammunition per attack.
- If you take this style you can't take close combat.
Caster uses magic as their main source of operation, and you gain following features:
- When you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
- If both of your hands are equipped with weapons you are proficient in, you may still cast spells without putting them away.
- You gain additional spells you can choose to learn at appropriate levels: Magic Bullet, Eclair de Larmes, Holy Lance, Blessed Drop, Rage Laser, Prism Ballet, Inlay Nocturne, and Searing Sorrow.
- if you take this style you cannot take Melee Caster
Refer to Unique Spells to see details on the spells.
Adaptive Combat takes advantage of swapping between attacking melee and ranged, and you gain following features:
- Whenever you make one melee attack and one ranged attack on the same turn, you may make an unarmed strike kick attack that deals 1d6 + strength modifier for free if you are in range.
- You don't get disadvantage from shooting at close range, only works if you've hit the target with a melee attack before your ranged attack.
- Whenever you successfully hit a melee attack, you may move additional 10ft in any direction of your choice before making your next action. This does provoke attacks of opportunity. You can't use this feature while you are encumbered.
- If you take this style you can't take Nimble stance
Adaptive Caster uses their spells at close range, taking advantage of quick and close quarter fights, and you gain following features:
- You may cast all cantrips using your bonus action instead of standard action.
- After you cast a spell of 1st level and above, you can use your bonus action to make a melee attack or ranged attack that's equipped on your off hand.
- While you are at melee range against your targets, you gain +2 to DC for all spells against those targets.
- If you take this style you can't take magic caster.
Sniper uses single hard hitting shots at long range, and you gain following features:
- You can spend an action to begin focusing which gives you +5 to hit and damage on your next ranged attack. You must maintain focus until the beginning of your next round, and if you are hit while focusing, you lose the focus bonus. You can't move during the turn you begin to focus.
- If you don't move, you can maintain concentration and gain the benefits of this feature in consecutive rounds.
- If you take this style you can't take Harmonic Stance
Harmonic Stance uses rhythm to use your speed effectively, and you gain following features:
- You can spend an action to begin playing an instrument that you are proficient in. If you do you can recover characters from fear and emotional conditions.
- If you attack after moving exactly 15 you gain an additional +1 to hit. This stacks up to +3 with every 15ft of movement used.
- Every 10ft you didn't move with move this turn after attacking, you gain +5 temp hp until the beginning of your next turn.
- If you take this style you can't take Sniper
Magic Marksman Spell List
You know all of the spells on the basic Magic Marksman spell list and additional spells based on your subclass.
Guidance, Light, Spare the Dying, True Strike, Word of Radiance, Magic Bullet, Summon Ammunition
- 1st Level
Bless, Color Spray, Cure Wound, Healing Word, Identify, Zephyr Strike, Blessed Drop
- 2nd Level
Blur, Moonbeam, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility, Zone of Truth, Searing Sorrow
- 3rd Level
Beacon of Hope, Counterspell, Daylight, Dispel Magic, Tidal Wave, Inlay Nocturne
- 4th Level
Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Sickening Radiance, Eclair de Larmes, Rage Laser
- 5th Level
Dawn, Holy Weapon, Wall of Light, Holy Lance, Prism Ballet
*Spells in bold text are only available after taking Magic Caster style.
- Summon ammunition
- You magically create 10 pieces of ammunition that deal 1d4 less damage from your weapon. Damage reduction is calculated upon casting the spell.
- Magic Bullet
- You can imbue to 6 ammunitions, when used with ranged weapon deals bonus radiant damage of 1d4.
- Blessed Drop
- Creates a 5ft cubic water to drop it on targets. Deals 3d6 damage unless target makes a dex save to receive half. The damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
- Searing Sorrow
- Creates a 15ft radius ball of fire to drop it on targets at an angle. Deals 4d6 fire damage unless targets makes a dex save to receive half. The flame lingers for 1 minute after the ball hits the ground. The damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 2nd.
- Inlay Nocturne
- Creates 4 shards of 5ft light crystals that can be shot, which lights for 30ft and dim lights for additional 30ft. Deals 3d6 damage for each shard, and after they hit the floor, it shines dealing 3d6 radiant damage and blinds. Target can make dex save to completely avoid first damage, while halving second part and avoid being blinded. The damage increases by 1d6 for both parts per each slot level above 3rd.
- Eclair de Larmes
- Creates 60ft radius electrical field, that deals 4d6 damage when the spell appears beneath the targets, creatures walks in, or ends their turn in the area. The damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 4th.
- Rage Laser
- Shoots a blinding beam of laser that pierces any non-magical walls with distance up to 1 mile with thickness of 15ft, and it creates 50ft of light and additional 50ft of dim light. Deals 8d6 radiant damage and blinds targets. Targets can make dex save to completely avoid it. The damage increases by 3d6 for each slot level above 4th.
- Holy Lance
- Creates 6 shining lance and pierces the target at once, and it also creates 60ft of light, and additional 60ft of dim light. Deals 4d12 radiant damage. Target can make dex save to avoid it completely. You may cast this as a bonus action.
- Prism Ballet
- Creates a circular wall of light that is 5ft thick, 20ft tall, and 30ft in radius. It creates 30ft light, and additional 30ft dim light. The targets must make dex save to move out of the way, if they succeed, they are pushed out to the edge of the wall, if not they become trapped inside paralyzed. Then until end of turn while inside, as a bonus action, the caster can use Rage Laser in any direction. The wall disappears if the the bonus spell was used, and if not the wall lasts 1 minute and enemies inside must make int save at end of turn to avoid being paralyzed. Rage Laser used will be considered as 5th level(11d6 radiant damage).
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Magic Marksman class, you must meet these prerequisites: 15 dexterity 12 intelligence
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Magic Marksman class, you gain the following proficiencies: Acrobatics, Performance