Living Ghost (3.5e Template)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Living Ghost
- 1.1 Creating a Living Ghost
- 1.1.1 Size and Type
- 1.1.2 Hit Dice
- 1.1.3 Speed
- 1.1.4 Armor Class
- 1.1.5 Attack
- 1.1.6 Full Attack
- 1.1.7 Special Attacks
- 1.1.8 Special Qualities
- 1.1.9 Abilities
- 1.1.10 Skills
- 1.1.11 Feats
- 1.1.12 Environment
- 1.1.13 Organization
- 1.1.14 Challenge Rating
- 1.1.15 Treasure
- 1.1.16 Alignment
- 1.1.17 Advancement
- 1.1.18 Level Adjustment
- 1.2 Living Ghosts Lore
- 1.1 Creating a Living Ghost
Sometimes, people that died before their time are allowed to come back to the world as living ghosts, to live, in some way, the life they have lost. Living ghosts are unbelievably rare; the odds someone would be allowed to return as living ghost are about one to billion (1/1000000000).
- This template is recommended to be used along with the variant rule Ghost Features.
Creating a Living Ghost
"Living Ghost" is an acquired template that can be added to any sentient humanoid or monstrous humanoid.
Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to undead. They gain the unliving subtype. Do not recalculate the creature’s base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.
All current and future Hit Dice become d20s.
See the base speed multiplier in the table under 'Aging'. Achieve flight speed as the land speed, maneuverability perfect.
See in the table under 'Aging'.
A living ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature. They also acquire a secondary slam attack which deals 1d6 + (their strength modifier, never negative) hit points damage.
A living ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature. They can use their secondary slam attack on the same target twice or on two near targets as full attack. If armed with a weapon they will usually uses the weapon as their primary attack along with a slam as a natural secondary attack.
A living ghost retains all the special attacks of the base creature. They also acquire a secondary slam attack that deals (their strength modifier, never negative)d4 hit points damage.
A living ghost has all the special qualities of the base creature as well as those described below. By age category, those are the qualities of novice living ghost.
Rejuvenation (Su): Just like with ordinary ghosts, it’s difficult to destroy a living ghost through simple combat: the “destroyed” living ghost will restore itself in 2d8 hours. The only way to annihilate a living ghost for good is using a method that destroys the soul (as ghosts are, in fact, souls with baggage).
Turn Immunity (Ex): Unlike most ghosts, living ghost is completely immune to turning.
Perfect Status Vision (Ex): Living ghosts can see perfectly regardless of the illumination level, as well as everything that is usually hidden from the living.
Selective Corporeality (Ex): Unlike most ghosts, living ghosts are naturally corporeal. They can become, anyway, intangible at will. They can stay intangible as long as long as they want.
Selective Visibility (Ex): Unlike most ghosts, living ghosts are naturally visible. They can become invisible at will, and while invisible have a +20 bonus on Move Silently and Hide checks.
Fast Healing (Ex): Living ghosts have fast healing 1
Spell Resistance: Living ghosts have spell resistance 20 + HD.
Resistances: Living ghosts have resistance 10 to all elements.
Undead Characteristics: Although living ghosts can blend in among the living much easily than most ghosts (and other undead creatures), they are still undead and because of that have the follow characteristics:
- Living ghost body temperature is considerably lower than the usual of its old race. While not freezing, the difference is enough for most creatures to notice via a continuous contact. They also don't have pulse. A successful Medical check at dc 10 will expose their undead nature.
- Living ghosts are stuck forever in the age they died in, and can never age even by magical methods. In the long term, it will be noticed by people who know them.
- Living ghosts don't require sustenance or oxygen, although they can eat and breathe if they desire so. They still require sleep and still get tired (at first, anyway, see under 'Aging').
- Living ghosts are immune to energy/ability drain/damage, transmutation, and unholy damage. Unlike most undead, they do not suffer extra damage from holy sources.
Aging: As known to all, the more time ghosts are active, the more powerful they become. This rule applies on living ghosts as well, and the most powerful living ghosts are equal, in power, to lesser deities. The so-called aging presents both the chronologic age and the experience of the living ghost. It isn't carved in the stone, anyway, as every week the living ghost investing in training its powers shorten the time until it will automatically achieve its next age category by 1 decade. The data are in the following table:
|Category||Age (Years) 1||Str
- 1. Years as a living ghost.
Experienced: A living ghost that exists for a while and learned a few tricks.
- Fast healing improves from 1 to 2.
- Spell resistance improves from 20 + HD to 30 + HD.
- Elemental resistance improves from 10 to 15.
- Dimension door improves into teleport (only for distance. there is no chance for Mishap).
- Acquire the ability Possession. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10 or the living ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle.
- Acquire the spell-like abilities telepathic bond and detect thoughts which all can be used at will. General caster level improves into 10.
Expert: A living ghost that exists for centuries and learned how to protect itself, as well as some tricks that will frighten the hell out of the living.
- Fast healing improves from 2 to 5.
- Spell resistance improves into spell immunity/epic.
- Elemental resistance improves from 15 to 20.
- Teleport improves into greater teleport.
- Possession ability improves and the living ghost now can possess other ghosts.
- Telekinesis ability improves into greater telekinesis (caster level 16 or the living ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher).
- Acquire the spell-like abilities persistent image, programmed image, minor creation (the creation doesn't disappear), disguise self, darkness and probe thoughts which all can be used at will. General caster level improves into 16.
Elder: An old and experienced living ghost, who is being respected by most of those who know its true nature, because no mortal is crazy enough to face its wrath.
- Gain regeneration 5/epic
- Spell immunity improves into immunity/epic and divine rank 1.
- Elemental resistance improves from 20 to 30.
- Acquire the ability life sense: like blindsight, but can only sense living creatures. The ability's range is 120 feet.
- Greater telekinesis caster level improves into 20 or the living ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher.
- Acquire the spell-like abilities project image, major creation (the creation doesn't disappear), deeper darkness, daylight, brain spider and ventriloquism, which all can be used at will. General caster level improves into 20.
- An elder living ghost no longer gets tired and doesn't require sleep anymore, although they can sleep if they want to.
Superior: One of the most scary and dangerous beings around; even the most brave and powerful heroes will consider knowingly facing a superior living ghost as complete craziness.
- Regeneration improved into 10/-
- Spell immunity improves into immunity/epic and divine rank 6.
- Elemental resistance improves into elemental immunity.
- Greater telekinesis caster level improves into 30 or the living ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher. The weight limit is canceled.
- The range of life sense increase from 120 feet to 300 feet. Acquire blindsense out to 300 feet and blindsight out to 60 feet.
- Greater teleport improves into unbounded teleportation.
- Acquire the reality warping ability: the exact effects are similar to the spell-like abilities greater wish and miracle which can be used at will. General caster level improves into 30.
See in the table under 'Aging'.
Because living ghosts do not need to breathe, they get a +6 bonus on Swim checks. Their flight ability gives them a +6 bonus on Athletics checks. Experienced/Expert/Elder/Superior gain a +4/+10/+16/+22 bonus, respectively, on Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (Religion) checks.
A living ghosts gain no extra feats. However, they can acquire new ones as usual.
Any, but usually the normal for their old race.
Living ghosts are so rare, that they almost never meet other of their kind unless they came back together.
Novice +4, Experienced +8, Expert +16, Elder +24, Superior +36
As the Base Creature.
Almost unique among undead, becoming a living ghost has no dependence or effect on alignment. Unlike most ghosts, it is extremely rare that living ghosts go vengeful, and even if they do, it won't be as worse as it is with regular ghosts.
As the Base creature.
Novice +6. Just develop it from there.
Living Ghosts Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) can research the Living Ghosts to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Living ghosts are a special type of ghosts.|
|10||Sometimes, a person who died before its time is allowed to come back to the world as living ghost.|
|15||Describe the living ghost's Undead Characteristics.|
|20||Rumors about specific person that been told to be a living ghost and its location.|