Kitsune, 3rd Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Kitsune are a race of Magical foxes. They believe in being proud, but also being humble. If someone gets too prideful, they are brought back down with trickery and humiliation. Kitsune are always thinking about something. It can be anything, so they always tend to be one step ahead of their opponents. Among social groups, fighting does not occur in order to prevent victims. Although they are tricksters with power, they will admit that someone is more powerful than them.
Kitsune in their natural form will look to others as a regular human would. That is if a regular human could have multiple fox tails and ears. A kitsune is fairly smaller that the average human and are slightly weaker. There eye and hair color vary just as much as a humans would except they can also have white hair and fur(snow fox). The tails each can be anywhere small of a foot, to large of 3ft length each. The ears sit slightly on the side where human ears would go, and because of this they may still wear most hats, just not helmets. Overall, a human with ears and tails.
Many races get along well with Kitsune's as they have no direct enemies. They will often get into friendly/aggressive debates/fights with canine and canine humanoid but they are treated well as companions. However some dislike Kitsunes since they are also known as very good liars and thieves. This may ruin their reputation slightly but most communities welcome them nonetheless.
A Kitsune can be of any alignment. Most however are very playful and deceitful so they are mainly of the chaotic alignment. Their views of the world differ just as much as others so there is no favorite when it comes to good, neutral, and evil. However they still choose chaotic over neutral or lawful most times.
Kitsune are wanders mostly, as such they have no lands. Nor do they have true territory. Some Kitsune will grow powerful and erect a shrine for them to live at away from society. Most any Kitsune can enter these "holy grounds", however others may enter so long as they "pay" respect. A Kitsune's life is normally one of tales of adventures, so a true home is normally a group rather than a place.
Kitsune treat religion equally just like most humans. Though some have a very deep want to get closer to the gods, most gods will see Kitsune as too troublesome. Most religions that use divine find the Kitsune to be far too chaotic to the church, and although they do not mind their presence. They will often not like the Kitsune under the assumption that they are lying.
Kitsune speak common and Sylvan. If the character has a positive Intelligence modifier then they may choose from: Elven, Infernal, Celestial, Draconic and Abyssal.
Most kitsune names are derived ether from their birthplace or a relative. Because of that knowing there name also means you have gained their trust because you can potentially know about there life and birth.
- Monstrous Humanoid(Fey and Shapechanger)
- +4 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or Intelligence, -2 Strength, -4 Constitution
- Medium Size
- Kitsune base land speed is 30, if they aren't holding anything, they can drop on their front paws and move at 50. They can also burrow at 10 ft.
- Fox Form (Su): You turn into your Bestial Fox Form as a swift action. This counts as an alternate form. You retain your special abilities and weaknesses but gain new skills of new fox form. Your weapons, armor, and clothes are adjusted to your size.
- Keen Scent: Kitsune are magical foxes, and as such have the Scent ability. They however have -4 on saves and checks against bad smelling things.
- Transform (Sp: You can turn into a singular human form of the same gender. This ability behaves like Alter Self but you retain Scent
- Frail: Kitsune are very frail, and cannot wear heavy armor and take +4 damage from bludgeoning weapons, but make up with +6 on hide, jump, and move silently checks.
- Fox's mind: Kitsune are vulnerable to things that effect Animals and Magical Beasts, but make up for it by being able to cast Fox's Cunning on themselves once per day
- Cold Iron Weakness: Kitsune have to take a fort save while in contact with any form of cold iron or take 1d4+1 force damage.
- Nocturnal: Like their wild brethren, Kitsune are nocturnal and aren't used to bright light. They take -2 on wisdom and intelligence checks and are dazzled in bright light and have to take a fort save of 8 when waking up at day or be fatigued. The make up for this with 60 ft Low-Light Vision, 30 ft Darkvision, and +2 on Listen checks.
- Bite: Kitsune have a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage. They can Attach if they want.
- Claws: Kitsune have claws on their fingers. Each hand deals 1d3 damage. Also, if they have had their claws trimmed in the last 48 hours, they have a +2 to rolls using Plucked instruments.
- Talk: Kitsune can talk in the language of canines, due to the fact that they are canines themselves.
- Fox Magic: Kitsune have magical powers with them. They grow more tails as they get more powerful or older, and learn new powers as they do. Their spell modifier is Charisma and their spell casting capacity is Equal to a wizard of their level Except all first tail spells which they can use without limit. Choose # of spells from the spell list for each level. Also, if a Kitsune starts off as middle aged, old aged, or venerable, they start with 3, 6, and 9 tails respectively. Spells below
|Tail||Level||# of Spells||Spells|
|1||1||3||Dancing Lights, Firemote, Alter Self, Mage's Hand, Prestidigitation|
|2||3||2||Silent Image, Calm Emotions, Burning Hands|
|3||5||2||Major Image, Energy Cone*, Fear|
|4||7||2||Spirit Guardians, Hallucinatory Terrain, Polymorph|
|5||9||3||Magic Mouth, Fire Storm, Dream, Dispel Magic, Possess|
|6||11||2||Cure Medium Wounds, Major Creation, Veil, Wall Of Fire|
|7||13||2||Permanency, Summon Elemental, Seeming,|
|8||15||2||True Creation, Mirage Arcana, Sunburst|
|9||17||1||Polymorph Any Object, Meteor Swarm, Shapechange|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 7"||+2d6 in.||85 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d6||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
Arctic Kitsune Racial Traits
|15 years||+ 2d4 years||+ 2d6 years||+ 4d4 years|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|250 years||600 years||1000 years||+4000 years|