Guardian, Lost Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This page is a variant of the Guardian (3.5e Race) I do not take credit for the original posting. (Page is still under construction, please do not edit.)
Guardians were originally human, but were taken from their homes when they were children and underwent rigorous training until it was deemed that they were ready to undergo their 'Trials'. The Trials were quite possibly the most difficult tasks a being could undertake; relying on the skills from their training and their sheer will to survive. It wasn't uncommon for only a few to make it out, and it definitely was not unscathed.
The first of the Trials, the Trial Of Darkness, was one of pure skill, a group of initiates would be given a task to take down their first monster, but they would do it in near complete darkness. As the first Trial, this was the easiest of the three. Initiates still died during the first Trial, but not nearly as many as during third.
The Trial Of Seas came next, the initiates were sent to destroy the lair of aquatic monsters, and to kill all of them that they came across. The number of initiates would take a dramatic drop during the second Trial, mostly due to drowning and not the monsters.
The final Trial was the Trial of Grasses, this would be when the initiates are given mutagens that would turn them into near-emotionless Guardians. It was rare that more than two initiates survived this final Trial.
Guardians tend to be rather solemn as they were taken from their homelands and created for the singular purpose of destroying the monsters that roamed the lands. Since the time of their creation, many Guardians have left their cause due to a desire for a life that had more to it than just swinging a sword and killing monsters.
Guardians look nearly identical to Humans in general appearance, but anyone who manages to take a closer look at them will see that their pupils will resemble those of a feline though their irises may take any colour. Their hair has the same range of colour as Humans, though there have been reported cases of Guardians that have odd colour hair, ranging from purple and green, to white. Guardians also tend to be taller than Humans, a side effect of the Trial Of Grasses.
Guardians get along well with nearly all races, though the occasional scuffle with Trolls has been known to happen.
Most Guardians have left their original purpose behind, making them Chaotic Neutral. However those that remain loyal to their cause are always Good in some respect.
Guardians have only one place to call their own, the place where they were created. A castle embedded deep into a mountain range, unseen by non-Guardian eyes since it was built.
Guardians have no religion. Just as they were not created by a god, the gods do not wish to take responsibility for them. As some travel they eventually find a deity to follow.
Guardians speak Common as well as any other language they decide to learn throughout their life.
Guardians are given relatively Human names when they are created, though they do not have last names, merely a reminder of where they were originally from. (e.g. Visemir of Waterdeep)
As the task they were created for was the hunting of monsters and demons, they are faster and stronger than most Humans.
- Ability Modifiers
- +2 Strength
- +4 Dexterity
- +2 Wisdom
- -4 Charisma
- Type: Humanoid
- Size:Medium: As Guardians are Medium-sized, there is no size penalties or bonuses.
- Base Land Speed: 35 feet.
- Fast Healing (Ex): Guardians heal 4 hit points at the start of each round due to the mutations they underwent in their so-called 'creation'.
- Blindsight (Ex): The mutations that 'created' the Guardians gave them senses
- The Guardian's Task(Ex):Trained from youth, they hunt those that hunt others.
- +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against any creature of the monstrous, humanoid monstrous, or outsider type.
- +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against any creature of the monstrous, humanoid monstrous, or outsider type.
- Gaze of the Hunter (Ex):The shining yellow eyes of a Guardian pierce deep into the ones they hunt. Guardians may perform one of the following actions against a monstrous, monstrous humanoid, or outsider type creature.
- Automatically perform a successful Track action that lasts 1 day on a creature damaged or seen within 1 day.
- Perform a free action to gain knowledge of the target's Special Abilities.
- Perform an immediate action to copy a known Special Ability of the target for a number of rounds equal to your hit die.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any 2 other than secret languages, such as Druidic.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +6
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|110 years||230 years||340 years||+1d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 11"||+3d6||230 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||5' 6"||+2d6||190 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|