Guardian (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Guardians were originally Human. Having been taken from their homes when they were children, they underwent rigorous training until it was deemed that they were ready to undergo their 'Trials'. The Trials were quite possibly the most difficult tasks a being could undertake; relying on the skills from their training and their sheer will to survive. It wasn't uncommon for only a few to make it out, and it definitely was not unscathed. The first of the Trials, the Trial Of Darkness, was one of pure skill, a group of initiates would be given a task to take down their first monster, but they would do it in near complete darkness. As the first Trial, this was the easiest of the three. Initiates still died during the first Trial, but not nearly as many as during third. The Trial Of Seas came next, the initiates were sent to destroy the lair of aquatic monsters, and to kill all of them that they came across. The number of initiates would take a dramatic drop during the second Trial, mostly due to drowning and not the monsters. The final Trial was the Trial of Grasses, this would be when the initiates are given mutagens that would turn them into near-emotionless Guardians. It was rare that more than two initiates survived this final Trial.
Guardians tend to be rather solemn as they were taken from their homelands and created for the singular purpose of destroying the monsters that roamed the lands. Since the time of their creation, many Guardians have left their cause due to a desire for a life that had more to it than just swinging a sword and killing monsters.
Guardians look nearly identical to Humans in general appearance, but anyone who manages to take a closer look at them will see that their pupils will resemble those of a feline though their irises may take any colour. Their hair has the same range of colour as Humans, though there have been reported cases of Guardians that have odd colour hair, ranging from purple and green, to white. Guardians also tend to be taller than Humans, a side effect of the Trial Of Grasses.
Guardians get along well with nearly all races, though the occasional scuffle with Trolls has been known to happen.
Most Guardians have left their original purpose behind, making them Chaotic Neutral. However those that remain loyal to their cause are always Good in some respect.
Guardians have only one place to call their own, the place where they were created. A castle embedded deep into a mountain range, unseen by non-Guardian eyes since it was built.
Guardians have no religion. Just as they were not created by a god, the gods do not wish to take responsibility for them
Guardians speak Common as well as any other language they decide to learn throughout their life.
Guardians are given relatively Human names when they are created, though they do not have last names, merely a reminder of where they were originally from. (e.g. Visemir of Waterdeep)
- +10 Strength, +8 Constitution +1 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
- Medium: As Guardians are Medium-sized, there is no size penalties or bonuses.
- Guardian base land speed is 35 feet.
- Fast Healing (Ex): Guardians heal 4 hit points at the start of each round due to the mutations they underwent in their so-called 'creation'.
- Blindsense (Ex): The mutations that 'created' the Guardians gave them senses similar to that of animals, they have very acute hearing and sense of smell.
- Favored Enemy: Guardians are trained to to kill monstrous creatures from the time of their "creation". Offering the Guardian a +2 to attack roll and damage on all creatures with the monstrous creature type.
- Change Size (Sp): Twice per day, a guardian can magically change a creature’s size. This works just like an enlarge person or reduce person spell (the guardian chooses when using the ability), except that the ability can work on the guardian. A DC 13 Fortitude save negates the effect. The save DC is Charisma-based. This is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell,
- it can also change its size from medium to giant or small 1 times a day and to return to normal shape is free
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|× (2d6) lb.
|× (2d6) lb.