Dwelf (5e Race)

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Dwelf[edit]

Of the half breeds, they're about the weirdest and most terrifying combination... save maybe gnelves.

Physical Description[edit]

Dwelves are humanoids with the blood of dwarves and elves coursing through them. The resultant appearance is that many of them resemble normal humans. However, their ancestry shows in their pointed ears and tendency to have masses of facial hair. Their ears are not as pointed as pure elves but they have stronger constitutions than their dexterous fey ancestors, and more grace than the stocky dwarves, as well as a rather normal height.

History[edit]

Dwelves are rare beings due to the turnout of their race from a mating between a dwarf and elf. This is rather rare as an occurrence since elves find dwarves clumsy oafs and dwarves find elves to be untrustworthy and inconsistent. However, that is not to say the two races are completely repugnant of each other. They bond over their work as smiths of fine weapons and their hatred of orcs. When they come in union, there is a 25% chance their offspring will be a dwelf. The other 75% chance is that the child will end up human, dwarven or elven. As such, dwelves are viewed as the rare abnormality in the mix. They have been known not to fit in very well with either society, tending ultimately towards humans. They bear the valor and intelligence of their bloodlines and this shows in their work as smiths as well as able casters and warriors. Some remark that the mix of features results in an odd face that is often a bit creepy, which is why some call them an abomination.

Society[edit]

There is a good deal of dwelves that accumulated over the years of wars against orcs and dwarf and elf alliances. They live mainly in human societies, though some have enclaves in elvish or dwarven cities as well. There are no dwarven civilizations of their own as of yet, though some have rallied for it. Dwelves tend to do a variety of jobs depending on the society they reside in. In the human cities, they are not so restricted to one occupation, and allowed to pursue a mix of the stereotypical dwarven and elven obsessions, like smithing and archery. In dwarven or elven societies, they are more constrained to the workings of that place. So elves would likely have dwelves work with magic whereas dwarves would have dwelves commit to smith work.

Personality[edit]

Dwelves are even tempered people. They are cautious, bearing the demeanor of dwarves, and can therefore be slow to trust. Like a dwarf, they have valorous beliefs and are stalwarts of their word. However, like elves, they are also gracious towards those who are inferior in their eyes. Sometimes this comes off as a condescending attitude. They are very appreciative of material and artistic values, being able to appraise like dwarves and sing like elves. Some say they are very close to humans based on their variety of interests and skills.

Dwelf Names[edit]

Dwelves take from Dwarvish and Elvish tongues when making names. They are usually given a name at birth, much like a dwarven clan name. Upon reaching 100 years of age, they can choose their new name, like elves do. Like elves, gendered names have little differences.

Male: Albrelar, Oskartis, Arandle, Hadred

Female: Ampaldrie, Eldanne, Liftaste, Brythnl

Dwelf Traits[edit]

Half elf, half dwarf? What an abomination!
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution or Dexterity score increases by 1, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Age. Dwelves age slower than humans and have long lives, but not as long as pure elves. They mature around maybe 100 and live to perhaps 500.
Alignment. Dwelves tend to be neutral, but they can have a variety of alignments that are chaotic or lawful as well because of the nature of their parents.
Size. Dwelves are taller than dwarves, but not to the extent they would be if they were pure elves. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Awkward Composition. Your very being is considered an abomination to some in the dwarven and elven communities. You have disadvantage in Charisma checks with dwarves and elves.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Ancestral Weapons. You are proficient with the shortsword, shortbow, handaxe, and light hammer.
Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned.
Innate Magic. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish and Elvish.

Random Height and Weight[edit]

Base
Height
Height
Modifier*
Base
Weight
Weight
Modifier**
4′ 2″ +1d12 145 lb. × (1d4) lb.

*Height = base height + height modifier
**Weight = base weight + (height modifier × weight modifier)

Suggested Characteristics[edit]

When creating a dwelf character, you can use the following table of traits, ideals, bonds and flaws to help flesh out your character. Use these tables in addition to or in place of your background's characteristics.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I like to look down on others with my elven blood.
2 I like to drink when I'm talking.
3 People say my sentences are too long for them to follow.
4 I am skittish, scared of my own shadow.
5 I tend to be quiet and soft spoken.
6 I hate needing to repeat things twice for stupider beings.
7 My work is my expression.
8 I take everything very seriously.
d6 Ideal
1 There is a place in this world for me. And I will find it.
2 Everyone will know my name for my destiny is to be remembered for great things.
3 Just passing the days uneventfully is an end enough for me.
4 My work must be elevated to its appropriate height in the sun.
5 I aim to bring my competitors under my heel.
6 I want to make things that help people.
d6 Bond
1 I am very haughty towards those I like.
2 People are hard to talk to.
3 I will die for those who fight alongside me.
4 A traumatic event has shaken my trust in the world.
5 People are complete snakes.
6 There is good to be found in everyone. Except orcs, drows, deep gnomes...
d6 Flaw
1 I tend to say one thing, yet think another.
2 I like to sing at the times when I should fight.
3 People are like kryptonite to me.
4 I have no public outdoor voice.
5 My nerves get the best of me and I find everyone suspicious due to paranoia.
6 I love money far too much.
0.00
(0 votes)

Back to Main Page5e HomebrewRaces

Home of user-generated,
homebrew pages!


admin area
Terms and Conditions for Non-Human Visitors