Discussion:Predictions for 4th edition
From D&D Wiki
Predictions for 4th edition
On this page, you can make predictions and educated guesses about what 4th edition will be (or won't be) like.
- 1 point for each prediction that turns out to be true
- 2 points if you were the first to predict it here
- 0 points if it was already officially announced before you wrote it (or if it blatantly obvious that they are true)
- -1 point if you were wrong.
Please put your predictions in an ordered list (with #).
Good Luck! --Mkill 21:11, 20 August 2007 (MDT)
- There will be 11 base classes in the PHB, and it will be the same classes as in 3rd edition.
- Tieflings are added to base races (0 points)
- The following are gone: 5 ft. step, full-round action, skill points, skill synergy
- The much awaited online game table will be buggy and boring, and most DMs you'll find there suck.
- People will start "How to save the Fighter" threads again 2 months after 4th ed is out.
- No more Mialee.
- No more Attacks of Opportunity for moving out of an opponents square.
- A spell-point system will be introduced.
- Spells will stay more useful for the life of the character.
- Many spells will be converted to class features, such as "mage armor."
- A best class list will be assembled by the boards. Whatever falls into #10 and #11 will be deemed to "suck", even if that difference is only a 1% power drop.
- The Magic Item Compendium will be the model for gaining equipment.
- No unregulated abilities dealing with creatures or cohorts.
- Greatly reduced amnistrivia. Every entry will be geared towards flavor or adventure.
- A follow-on book for Psionics. (0 points)
- A follow-on book for "tech".
- Too many typos and errata. (For some, one is too many.)
I see a problem with the soring system. Observe;
- The Three rule books will have less than 3000 pages in total.
- Each rule book will have less than 999 pages.
- There will not be a section on "Nerdomancy" in any of the books.
- Monstrous Spiders will not have 10 legs now.
- The barbarian will not have a name change to "frenzied maniac".
- There will not be a PrC called pink bezerker in the Dunnjun Maasturrs Gid (see guess after the next one).
- There will not be a PrC called Rinoserous warrior in the Dunnjun Maasturrs Gid (see thre next guess).
- The titles of the core rule books will not be mispelt on the covers.
- There will not be rules for an "M16 Semi-Automatic Shotgun" in the PLayerr's Handdbuk (see previous).
- There will not be an entry in the Moonsterr Manule (see the one before the last one) for Clarkson, May and Hammond.
As you can see, I have just got myself a garenteed 20 points. You might want to alter the scoring system so that points cannot bde gained in this way.
- Actually, it totally doesn't matter how you cheat here, as there is nothing to win. You can keep your 20 points if this is what makes you happy. Although I do hope they will put a Pink Berserker PrC in the DMG just to prove you wrong. --Mkill 07:44, 26 August 2007 (MDT)
- doesn't make me happy. I don't like power gaming, I was just pointing out that the scoring system can be easily abused... This wasn't added to score the most points. In fact, I personally think those guesses are worth 0. But it would be funny to have a pink bezerker (Aarnott made that one up). What would be better would be the last one... But these where added as a laugh, not an honest attempt to score the most points. Treat my 20 points as nullified. --Sam Kay 10:05, 26 August 2007 (MDT)
- Far fewer base classes, around a half-dozen.
- Talent trees.
- Swift actions.
- Full turn = 1 swift action, 1 move action, 1 standard action.
- Surprise round = 1 standard action (only).
- You're only flat-footed if you're surprised.
- Fewer skills, with similar skills grouped together.
- No more skill points per level, just Yes/No (have the skill or not).
- Initiative is now a skill.
- No multiclassing penalty.
- Weapon group proficiencies.
- Various penalties (e.g. non-proficiency) are now -5 instead of -4.
- Action points.
FYI, I haven't read any of the previews, but I do have Star Wars Saga Edition.
MorkaisChosen 02:53, 31 August 2007 (MDT)
- Talent trees like in D20 Modern (that might've been announced, I'm not sure).
- Aasimar added to core races at LA 0.
- Paladins still in with the Code, just as annyoing if you find out the party Bard is evil as ever. Grr...
- Fighter becomes worthwhile, as a weapon-master sort of character (0 points, it's been announced).
- Spells still memorised.
That's all I can think of...
2007 September 7 09:30 (MDT)
|There's no better laugh than the one that you're ashamed to share with your mother.|
—Stephen Notley, creator of Bob the Angry Flower
MorkaisChosen 08:29, 8 September 2007 (MDT)
Looking at the latest playtest report, it does appear that the Vancian spellcasting is going- look at the reference to "another wizard ability- my once-per-day scorch, a powerful fire attack." To me, it looks like wizards just get a set of abilities that they can use, a bit like the Half-Celestial or Half-Fiend template's spell-like abilities.