Demonologist (4e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|“||For the glory of Gul'dan, the Pit Lord||”|
|Role: Controller. You exert control over the battlefield by commanding loyal hoards of demons.|
|Power Source: Arcane. You evoke the power of Greater Demons to cast spells, and lesser demons to fight beside you.|
|Key Abilities: Intelligence, Charisma, Wisdom|
|Armor Proficiencies: Cloth|
|Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, Quarterstaff, club, sling|
|Implements: Orbs, Staves, Rods|
|Bonus to Defense: +2 Will|
|Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution score|
|Hit Points per Level Gained: 4|
|Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution modifier|
|Trained Skills: Arcana. From the class skills list below, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.|
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Religion (Int), Intimidate (Cha)
|Build Options: Affliction Demonologist, Destruction Demonologist|
|Class Features: Demonic Grimoir, Summon Felguard, Syphon Life, Bloodletting|
Demonologists are background leaders who invoke the powers of demons to lay ill to their foes. They use the powers granted by pacts with greater demons to cast malevolent spells on enemies, while summoned lesser demons charge forwards and lay waist to the weakened opponents. As a demonologist, the demons and gods that you make pacts with, do a great deal to determine your mannerisms. If you make a pact with the pit lord Gul'dan, you may be more inclined to set fire to cities, whereas if you make a pact with a more manipulative demon, such as kil'ja'den, it may be your quest to seek out magical artifacts to offer to your master. At the same time, you may not make a pact with a demon lord, and instead only make pacts with lesser demons, to fulfill your own desires.
|Characteristics: As a demonologist, you specialize in afflicting your enemies with curses, making their attacks ineffective, while your small hoard of demons overwhelm them|
|Religion: You may choose to worship any evil or neutral god, or greater demon. At the same time, you may choose to worship no god, and simply derive your powers from the pacts you make with lesser demons.|
|Races: Any race may be a demonologist. The most common demonologists are Humans, Gnomes, and Eladrin, but demons make pacts with any race.|
Creating a Demonologist
The two Demonologist builds are Affliction Demonologist, and Destruction demonologist. Both builds rely jointly on Charisma and Intelligence. Constitution is also important for demonologists to increase their health, the health of their minions, and the amount of healing surges.
As an Affliction Demonologist, common tactics would be to stand in the back and cast malevolent spells on your enemies. Affliction Demonologists are very similar to controllers, in that they dominate and manipulate the battlefield to their advantage.
- Suggested Feat: Dark Fury
- Suggested Skills: Diplomacy, History, Insight
- Suggested At-Will Powers: Sanguine Bond, Legion Strike
- Suggested Encounter Power: Fear
- Suggested Daily Power: Summon Shadow Fiend
As a Destruction Demonologist, common tactics would be to stand near the back, and cast powerful fire spells onto your enemies. Destruction Demonologists are very similar to strikers, in that they can deal a considerable amount of damage.
- Suggested Feat: Jack of All Trades
- Suggested Skills: Religion, Bluff, Intimidate
- Suggested At-Will Powers: Immolation, Demon Armor
- Suggested Encounter Power: Conflagration
- Suggested Daily Power: Summon Fire Fiend
Demonologist Class Features
All Demonologists share these class features.
- At first level, choose one of the following Grimoires
- Enduring Grimoire: Your Felguard gains a bonus to AC equal to the number of enemies adjacent to it.
- Malevolent Grimoire: Your Felguard gains a bonus to damage rolls equal to the number of enemies adjacent to it.
- In your quest to gain a small legion of demonic minions, you have acquired what you consider now to be your personal guardian. Always by your side, it is able to carry out orders and do minor tasks. Give it a weapon and it is able to fight.
A Demonologist's powers are called spells and are. A list can be found Demonologist Powers (4e Power List).