Arcane Mechanik (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Arcane Mechanik
- 1.1 Creating an Arcane Mechanik
- 1.2 Class Features
- 1.2.1 Table: The Arcane Mechanik
- 1.2.2 Fighting Style
- 1.2.3 Percussive Maintenance
- 1.2.4 Notebook
- 1.2.5 Spell Casting
- 1.2.6 Construct Helpers
- 1.2.7 Subclass Feature
- 1.2.8 Lifeline
- 1.2.9 Ability Score Improvement
- 1.2.10 Extra Attack
- 1.2.11 Turret Builder
- 1.2.12 Improved Lifeline
- 1.2.13 Advanced Turret
- 1.2.14 Improved Construct Helpers
- 1.2.15 Craft Mastery
- 1.2.16 Overload
- 1.2.17 Demolish
- 1.2.18 Ultimum Mechanico
- 2 Armorer
- 3 Battlesmith
- 4 Tinkerer
- 5 Gunner
Wiping the grease from their hands, a young and lively gnome pulls up his safety goggles admiring a newly designed engine. This will help provide power for their larger projects. Another worker gets to work practicing a new spell out her notebook to help her get things done around the workshop. While they are Masters of the mechanical world, these seldom few will draw strength and knowledge from the arcane powers around them to improve their constructs and designs. Some work hard and make a goal out of unleashing the magic surrounding ordinary objects. Others see magic as a complex system using tools to study arcane power. No matter what, they are always crafting be it mechanical, like guns and robots, or magical, like arcane grenades.
Creating an Arcane Mechanik
|A mechanik is ambushed while repairing her mechsuit., Alberto Dal Lago, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/501799583455610292/|
Think about how did your character came to be an adventurer. Was life too mundane working in a shop all day? Or perhaps they wanted to test their latest inventions in the world around them. Regardless of how they got started in the world of adventuring, it is time for them to show off that you can have both brains and brawn.
- Quick Build
You can make an Arcane Mechanik quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Strength or Dexterity depending on if you plan to use melee or ranged. Second, choose the Clan Crafter background.
As a Arcane Mechanik you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light armor, Medium armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Firearms
Tools: Smiths tools, Tinkers tools
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution
Skills: Choose 2 from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Perception, or Survival
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) A Monkey Wrench or (b) Any simple weapon
- (a) Flintlock pistol & 15 rounds or (b) Light crossbow & 20 bolts
- (a) Breastplate or (b) Studded Leather
- (a) Dungeoneers pack or (b) Scholars pack
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 4d4 x 10 in funds.
|Features||1st Level Spell Slots||2nd Level Spell Slots||3rd Level Spell Slots||4th Level Spell Slots||5th Level Spell Slots|
|1st||+2||Fighting Style, Percussive Maintenance||-||-||-||-||-|
|2nd||+2||Notebook, Spell casting, Construct Helpers||2||-||-||-||-|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Lifeline||3||-||-||-||-|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||-||-||-|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Extra Attack||4||3||3||-||-|
|13th||+5||Improved Construct Helpers||4||3||3||1||-|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Overload||4||3||3||2||-|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Extra Attack||4||3||3||3||2|
At 1st level, you adopt a style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
- Close Quarters Shooter - When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.
- Defense - While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
- Dueling - When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
- Great Weapon Fighting - When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
- Interception - When a creature you can see hits a target that is within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a melee weapon or shield to use this reaction.
At 1st level, you can fix gadgets by hitting it until it works. When striking a broken construct or gadget, it will work for a number of minutes equal to you Strength modifier plus your Intelligence Modifier. You can use this equal to the amount of levels you have in the Arcane Mechanik class. These uses reset at dawn.
Starting at 2nd level, you have an on going report of things that work and things that don't. When succeeding on repairing or building a new device, you record it in your notebook to remake later on. To recall from the notebook you must succeed an Intelligence check DC 10. If you pass, given you have the materials and tools required, it will take you 1d4 hours to build.
You can keep a list of the spells you know in your handy-dandy notebook just like those fancy wizards do. At 2nd level, you have a notebook containing 3 1st-level spells of your choice. For every level up after level 2, you can learn a new spell off of the Artificer spell chart.
Starting at 2nd level, you have a few gizmos that whir around helping you and your allies. Choose 3 from the following:
- Shield Friend - Adds +1 to the AC of whoever is closest to it.
- Helping Hand - Assists you in completing a task. Whenever combat begins, you have advantage on the first attack you make.
- Reloader - Reloads weapons for the closest ally. (DC 10 dexterity check)
- Grappler - Wrestles the nearest enemy to the ground. (DC 15 strength check to break free)
- Scout - Quickly moves ahead of the party to relay through signals and beeps what it sees.
- Searcher - Makes investigation checks to find hidden items and loot (Investigation is equal to yours)
These helpers requires batteries to operate; one battery will give them 1d20+4 hours of juice. During a short rest you can reassemble one to change their role. There can be multiple of the same style deployed at once.
At 3rd level, you chose an Archetype. Choose between Armorer, Battlesmith, Tinkerer, or Gunner. They are detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th levels.
At 4th level, your Constructs will come to your aid if you fall during combat. If all your devices are active and next to you, you have advantage on your death saving throws.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Beginning at 5th Level, you can Attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on Your Turn. The number of attacks increases to 3 at 12th level and 4 at 19th level.
At 6th level, you can build a tall, destructive turret to aid you in a fight. You can set up the turret as an action. When manning the turret, you make a ranged weapon attack. On a hit, the turret deals 1d10 piercing damage. (Range 50/200) The turret must be reloaded after 3 shots.
At 9th level, if all your devices are active and next to a downed ally, they also have advantage on death saving throws; the constructs will always help you first.
Starting at 11th level, your turret can specialize in a variety of attack styles. Choose an option from the list bellow:
- Sniper rounds - 1d12 piercing (100/400)
- Mini cannon balls - 2d8 bludgeoning (15/60)
- Saw blades - 2d6 slashing (60/240)
- Flamethrower - 2d10 fire (30/120) - On a hit, they make a Con save (DC is your spell save DC). If they fail they take 1d6 fire damage for an amount of rounds equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum of 1).
- Pressurized water - 3d4 Force (30/120) - On a hit, they make a Str save (DC is your spell save DC). If they fail, they are knocked prone and pushed 10 feet back.
At the end of a long rest, you can change the turret type.
Improved Construct Helpers
Starting at 13th level, you can now make and activate up to 5 helpers at one time. Additionally, batteries now last twice as long for your gadgets.
At 14th level, you have honed your skills perfectly. It takes you only 30 minutes to build a new device or construct as long as you have your notebook on your person while building.
Starting at 16th level, you can use the arcane power within electronics to overload an electrical device to make it explode. This type of explosion will deal 1d12 lightning damage to anyone within a 10 foot radius of the device.
At 17th level, you know the weak spot in any construct. When attacking buildings, vehicles, or devices you have a +10 to the attack and damage rolls.
At level 20, you realize how much better it is to be machine over mortal. Some of your body parts are replaced with mechanics:
- Arms - Increased attack range (10 feet) and damage (doubles melee damage).
- Legs - Doubles your speed and grants advantage on stealth checks.
- Eyes - Advantage on perception and insight checks; along with truesight out to 30 feet.
You choose to maximize your defense to save the skins of your allies and yourself. Hitting you will be a challenge.
- New Proficiencies
Starting at 3rd Level, you gain proficiency in Heavy Armor and Shields. You can also cast the spell Shield at will a number of times equal to your Intelligence mod (minimum of 1) per long rest.
- Patching up Vulnerabilities
Starting at 7th level, you’ve take a liking to a particular set of armor and figure out its weaknesses; more importantly, how to correct them. Select a piece of armor to perform modifications to. At the end of a long rest, the armor grants +1 to AC and resistance to either Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing.\ This can only apply to one armor set at the same time. If you wish to switch, you must repeat the process again. At 15th level, you can choose an additional resistance or choose to become immune to the previous type.
- Shield Wall
At 10th Level, you can summon a large, magical shield as an action; the shield is 5 feet wide, 2.5 feet tall and acts as half-cover. The shield is transparent on the side you deployed from, but opaque on the other side. As a bonus action, you can move the shield in any direction up to 15 feet otherwise it will not move from its current spot by any mundane means. The shield lasts 10 minutes and can be used a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1 time) and is refreshed every Long Rest. The shield increases to 10 feet wide at Level 15 and then 15 feet wide at Level 18.
- Endure Agony
At 10th level, you hone your mind in not just your creations, but the willpower of your body as well. Your hit die increases to a d10.
- Suit of Machines
At the 15th Level, your Magnum Opus is ready to unleash. You have access to the now battleready Suit of Machines. The Suit of Machines acts as Heavy Armor with an AC of 18 and has Disadvantage on Stealth checks. The suit also integrates the turret you've built granting it ranged attacks from the turret along with a few new attack modes.
- Machine Gun Burst - 3d6 Piercing (25/100)
- Shotgun Blast - 2d10 Piercing (15ft cone)
- Tear Gas Launcher - Creatures in range must make a Constitution Save (DC 15) or be blinded until the target’s next turn (45/180; 20-foot radius)
- Piston Punch - 4d8 Bludgeoning
- Booming Bonk - 3d6 Thunder The target must succeed a Strength save (DC 15) or be knocked back 10 feet.
Ranged attack type can be swapped as a Bonus Action.
- Defense of the Plenty
At the 18th level, you’ve honed the very idea of defense to absolute perfection. Shields are your passion and defense is what you strive for.
- The armor you've used for "Patching Up Vulnerabilities" now gains an extra +1 to AC
- The Shield Wall can now extend to 5 feet tall and act as total cover for any that stand behind it
- The Shield spell can be cast up to twice the amount of your Intelligence mod and you learn an amount of Abjuration spells equal to your Intelligence mod up to 5th level
You choose to supply the world with bigger and deadlier weapons or armor, and that's ok.
- New Proficiencies
Starting at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and martial weapons.
- Danger Close
Starting at 7th level, you can add you Arcane Mechanik level to your attack roll after you roll but before it is determined whether it will hit or miss. You can do this equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum of 1).
- Living Protection
Starting at 10th level, you can infuse a piece of armor with mechanic energy and arcane forces to make it become sentient. It speaks the same languages as the wearer and communicates telepathically. Living armor provides a +2 bonus to AC while wearing it. You can infuse two pieces of armor at a time.
- Mechanical Weapons
At 15th level, it is like your weapons almost have a mind of their own! Weapons that you create can reroll damage rolls that are equal to 2 or less.
- Weapon Expert
At 18th level, you have achieved an enlighten state on the battlefield. Choose a weapon to form a bond with; you score a critical hit with this weapon on a roll of 19-20. You can move this bond to a different weapon at the end of a short or long rest.
You choose to hone your bots, growing overly fond of them.
- Construct Connection
Starting at 3rd level, you know where any technological item is within 1 mile of you.. Additionally, if your bots are within 5 feet of you or an ally, they impose disadvantage when hostiles take the attack action.
- Fail Safe
Starting at 7th level, your bots are unable to fail unless they run out of battery power. All your devices have advantage on special tasks they are assigned to.
- Intelligent Design
Starting at 10th level, devices you make are able to identify your needs and can quickly change between two roles. You must assign the second role during a short or long rest.
- Mechanical Flight
Starting at 15th level, your bots can now provide you the ability to fly. After assigning 3 bots to this role, you gain a flying speed of equal to your walking speed. Bots that are assisting you in the air are not able to switch to their second role until you land.
- Legend of the Mechanic Realm
At 18th level, all devices, craftsmen, and smiths look up to you. People are willing to give you parts required to build constructs as long as the request is within reason. You also will gain a following of people willing to sacrifice time to assist you on large projects or hard work assignments.
You choose to become the quickest hand around.
Starting at 3rd level, you have advantage on initiative rolls.
- Over Powdered
Starting at 7th level, you can add extra gunpowder for some extra oomph. When using firearms you can add your proficiency bonus to the damage rolls.
- Click, Clack, Boom!
At 10th level, the mere sound of you readying another round can scare your enemies. The first time you make an attack with a firearm in combat, all enemies within range must succeed a Wisdom save or they are frightened of you for 1 minute.
- Weightless Guns
Starting at 15th level, you have much experience with your firearms; it has gotten to the point where you don't even feel the weight. One handed firearms that are not usually "Light" are considered Light to you.
- Bullet With Their Name On It
Starting at 18th level, you can designate a bullet for a creature within range. You can use your action to prepare yourself to attack; on your next turn if the creature is still alive, your bullet instantly hits that creature regardless of whether its still in range or not.
Arcane Mechanik Spell List
You can learn all of the spells from the basic Artificer spell list and additional spells as you level up that are listed below.
- 1st Level Spells
Detect Magic, Identify
- 2nd Level Spells
Arcane Lock, Pyrotechnics
- 3rd Level Spells
Protection from Energy, Haste
- 4th Level Spells
Arcane Eye, Fabricate
- 5th Level Spells
Creation, Animate Objects