Ancient Blackscale Lizardfolk (3.5e Template)
From D&D Wiki
Ancient Blackscale Lizardfolk
Just like the Regular Blackscale Lizardfolk, these fearsome beasts have a more direct lineage to their draconic heritage. Inhabiting the same tribes and lands in the farther reaches of the territories of their kin… this variety is far rarer. Like great wyrm dragons, these creatures have survived for well over 1000 years and normally have the battle scars to prove it.
Like their smaller kin, the ancient blackscale are proud and ﬁerce warriors. They are also well known for fiercely guarding their territories and willing to go to full-scale war on a moment’s notice if any other army is to ever encroach on their territories. Heroic feats and personal glory reign supreme in society, but this is where most non-physical similarities end. Having lived so long patients is now a well accustomed trait and wisdom is common. Natural leaders with exceptional fighting experience, they regularly force their lesser kin into highly organized war parties. Thorough and tactical, they still have little patience for tricks and traps, considering such tools to be the trade of lesser lizardfolk. Trade is welcome with those whom proven themselves valuable, but is seldom allowed. Ancient blackscale’s have a legendary temper few would ever trifle with.
An ancient blackscale lizardfolk is usually 12 to 13 feet tall, and weighs about 1300 - 1800 pounds. Its tail is 6 to 7 feet long. Alpha males are capable of reaching even greater size and physical prowess. These beasts can reach 15 feet tall and weigh up to 3000 pounds of raw fury, its tail is 7 to 8 feet long. Their trademark sign beside the increased size and darker scales is the red neck that flairs when agitated.
Old, but primal beings at heart they tend to keep to themselves, but of course they will do trade when in need of supplies. Most other races fear the barbaric and unforgiving nature of these beasts. For this reason, few dare to seek them out, and even fewer ever have the chance to meet one. For this reason, IF you are considered an ally, you are as fiercely guarded as the home of the ancient one. Their entire tribe’s fighting force will be at your door step if ever needed.
A normal specimen will hold a Chaotic Neutral alignment. Few will sway from good to evil depending on the tribe.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk live in swampy, marsh like regions or tundra wastes. Masters of blending into the environment, they relish the hunt and normally do so over large territories of land and water.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk are known to worship gods of War and Nature.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk are raised to learn Draconic, although in some cases they learn to pick up Common to deal with humans and other trespassers.
Lizardfolk names are invariably Draconic nouns.
The Ancient Blackscale Lizardfolk have the following racial traits:
Base Hit Die: 4d12 (then it's just class hit die added to HP per level)
- Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Ability Score Adjustments: +16 str, +12 con, -2 cha.
- Size: Large
- Speed: Base land speed is 60 feet. / Base swim speed is 120 feet.
- Natural Armor: A Blackscale's scaly skin provides it with a +10 natural armor bonus to its Armor Class.
- Tail: A Blackscale Lizardfolk's long tail gives it exceptional balance, granting it great jumping skill and helps propel it through the water, a Blackscale Lizardfolk gains a +5 racial bonus on all Balance, Swim and Jump checks.
- Claws: A Blackscale Lizardfolk's impressive claws gives it enhanced ability to climb, combined with its great strength a Blackscale Lizardfolk gains a +5 racial bonus on all Climb checks.
- Camouflage: Blackscale Lizardfolk rough scale pattern and dark coloring give them a +2 to Hide checks in swampy environments.
- Awkward Build: Due to their tails and bumpy, scaly bodies, blackscales must have armor custom made at an increased cost of 50% (including the cost of masterwork armor.)
- Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus languages: Aquan, Orcish and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Feats gained no matter the class played: Improved Uncanny Dodge (Barbarians get to choose 1 extra Non-Heroic feat and keep Improved Uncanny Dodge) & Fast Healing
- Level Adjustment: +5
|Blackscale Racial Class|
|1||+4||+4||+2||+2||Natural Weapons, +10 Natural Armor, Immunities|
|2||+6||+5||+3||+3||Hold Breath, Acid Resistance 2|
|3||+8||+6||+4||+4||Acid, -5 DR/All|
|4||+10||+7||+5||+5||+4 Str, Acid Resistance 5|
Hit Die: d12
Skill points at 1st Character level: (4 + Int bonus) x 4
Skill points at higher levels: 4 + Int bonus
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) Spot (Wis) And Move Silently (Dex)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lizardfolk are proficient with all simple weapons and shields.
- Natural Weapons: A 1st level Blackscale Lizardfolk can attack with its natural weapons, 2 claws (1d8+6) and a bite (2d6+6) as a secondary attack. The lizardfolk also qualifies for the multi-attack feat.
- Immunities: Due to the numerous toxic creatures and conditions Blackscale Lizardfolk encounter in their normal habitat, they develop resistance in the form of immunity to poison and cold effects.
- Hold Breath (Ex): At 2nd level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk gains the ability to hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to five times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Acid Resistance: Whether as a result of their distant draconic heritage or simply a means of coping with the species' own corrosive saliva, Blackscale Lizardfolk develops a resistance to acid which increases at 3rd level.
- Acid: At 3rd level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk ravenous stomach produces so much acid that its bite even becomes caustic, doing an additional 1d8 acid damage. In addition, as a standard action, these lizardfolk can spray this acid to a range of ten feet. If the target fails a Ref save, he takes 1d8 damage and receives a -2 to Attack, Spot and Search checks as the burning liquid impairs his vision. The DC of the save is 15 + 1/2 Racial Hit Dice + Con bonus of the lizardfolk.
- Damage Reduction (DR): Due to their hardened scales and conditioning the body continuously through training and warfare, the gain an added 5 points of DR to all forms of damage.
- Ability Score Increase: At 4th level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk increases its Strength score by 4 points. This is a permanent ability improvement.
Example Monster Template
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: D12 [10d12+100] 165hp
Speed: 60 feet. / Swim 120 feet.
Armor Class: 26 (–1 size, +10 natural, +7 Dex), touch 12, ﬂat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+22
Attack: Claw +25 melee (2d8+6) or greatclub +25 melee(3d8+6) or javelin +25 ranged (2d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +25 melee (2d8+6) and bite +25 melee(3d6+6) or greatclub +25 melee (3d8+6) and bite +25 melee(3d6+6) or javelin +25 ranged (2d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid Splash (10ft range) +20 ranged (1d8 acid dmg.)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hold breath, immunity to acid and cold
Saves: Fort +25, Ref +17, Will +10
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 25, Con 30, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +15, Jump +22, Spot +15, Swim +20
Feats: Multiattack, Power Attack, Fast Healing, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Environment: Temperate forests / Tropical Jungles / Arctic Tundra
Organization: Solitary, gang (2–3)
Challenge Rating: 17
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +5