User talk:Blue Dragon
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Tried to Register
- 2 Request for Puzzle Exemption
- 3 TOC over two columns?
- 4 Admins willing to help
- 5 Review Request
- 6 Captcha broken
- 7 Harassment
- 8 Admin List is blanko?
- 9 Also, HTTPS
- 10 CAPTCHA issue
- 11 Curious about the puzzle
- 12 Missing From the World
- 13 Improving Our Reputation
- 14 Tavern-o
- 15 Puzzle
Tried to Register
Couldn't figure out the Puzzle; i get a Random Set of Alphanumeric Characters that end in a ";" then when i press it to Begin Puzzle Search it just gives me a Random Numbers. [history] tab has my email and username i wish to acquire. ~5.5e
- Hi, I'm sorry for the problems, I am not sure what the issue is. However, I have made an exception for your IP address. You should no longer need to perform the puzzle. Please let me know if you continue to have any problems. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 12:42, 25 June 2016 (MDT)
- got this message below; Google is blocked here in china; I guess my ISP gives me a dynamic IP ~G ~5.5e
Account creation error Incorrect or missing CAPTCHA.
- Would it be possible for you to send me the desired username in an email (use "Email this user")? I can attempt to manually create your account. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 13:07, 13 July 2016 (MDT)
- i don't see the link. i think i need to be logged-in in order to send an email. (firstname.lastname@example.org username 0.0)
Request for Puzzle Exemption
Personally not 100% sure if I'm asking/requesting in the proper manner but you get the gist. If not please feel free to direct or redirect me to through to the proper channels. Running on a chrome explorer I cannot see how to solve the puzzle. Either guide me or please let me Sign up.... PLEASE!!
- Hello, sorry that this got lost. Can you please let me know if you are still having troubles? I will be happy to help fix it. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 10:21, 20 May 2016 (MDT)
Meow. Looking for a Puzzle Exemption because all it shows for me is a bunch of random letters ending in a ";" followed by random numbers... I've spent the better part of a day reformatting a race to fit into the provided setup only to have my browser completely delete my work somehow thanks to this. Was finally able to make an account and that solved my problem. (^.^)
TOC over two columns?
Hi DB, the TOC for 5e classes can be quite long (eg Artificer (5e Class)), I thought it would be nice if they can be split into two columns. There's a suggestion on how to do this here. If possible this should be restricted to pages with long TOCs like 5e classes. Is this possible to test? Marasmusine (talk) 02:07, 6 November 2015 (MST)
Admins willing to help
No I guess there are no admins who want to help except that m dude. Disappointed. Therefore there cant be any complaints to what someone adds. Disappointed. I was really looking forward to something great here. I needed to see something great here. I am quite saddened. I have learned my lesson, i will not ask again. McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 13:20, 14 May 2016 (MDT)
Is there a list of admins who are willing or actively participate consistently in certain task?
If so i would like to know and possibly post that information on my user page in case, someone like myself, has need of a certain action Like;
- Hi McAlester Gamerz Customer, I'm not sure I fully understand the request. I'm an admin who works on maintaining the site in my spare time. I tend to not participate in any sort of content-related tasks. Does this clear anything up? Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 10:01, 20 May 2016 (MDT)
(For this topic, all posters, please follow example, and only post links directly to what needs to be reviewed and once they are submitted and accepted as legitimately usable in a particular edition, please remove the link. This it to keep unnecessary clutter from filling the page.)
Anansi-Salticidae_Arachnomorpha-Greater(5e_Race) Simplified version.
I am hoping to be useful here. So let me know if there is anything i could reasonably accomplish.
I was trying to register, but the captcha appears to be completely broken:
- The captcha apparently has two numbers to enter, but the second one is outside the fixed-size box or covered by other elements and can't be seen. (When I enter the visible number, it reports that the answer is incorrect.)
- After a few seconds, a blue "your computer is going to need to solve something" box appears; clicking on the "Begin Puzzle Search" does nothing.
- Screenshot: app.box.com/s/vjljenkj3gtuzlrnol41flawqjb8qjkm
22.214.171.124 23:48, 7 May 2016 (MDT) (name I wanted to register: Mike Rosoft - same as on Wikipedia)
Update: I have been playing with the page's source code, and it seems that there isn't another number (the captcha form just looks broken, possibly because of the puzzle box). But the problem remains: the puzzle search doesn't work. (I tried it with both my browsers.) - 126.96.36.199 00:12, 8 May 2016 (MDT)
- Have you had any luck? Additionally, I made an exception for your IP address, so it should only be ReCAPTCHA that you'll need to pass. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 10:02, 20 May 2016 (MDT)
(It should be noted that we were watching and waiting...to see if we should make a financial contribution to this site. As it stands, we do not feel it would be in our best interest. Maybe at a later date.)
Keeping it short; we are repeatedly being bombarded by one admins demand that all the content fit all the 5e rules, under the homebrew sections. We are not the only ones complaining of this issue from this particular admin. There have BEEN many complaints and comments, and it is he alone that has had this repeated behavior. Upon further investigation, it is a reason many people no longer contribute, nor use actual log ins any further. We even had an official long time gamer, whom we cant disclose information on, Who agreed that admins need to leave and respect the individual disclaimers alone. Which he has not done at least in one occasion with us. That's all I am going to say for now. The offending admin is Marasmusine. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by TierArea (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts!
- I'm not going to remove it, as I can't see it breaching any policy in specific. But please note it looks extremely unprofessional to try and imply financial incentive to persuade any justice. As I said on Marasmusine's talk page, we do a lot of this stuff, and it comes across as harsh and uncaring, sometimes (we also make mistakes sometimes, too!). Could you point out some specific examples of issues you've been having? --SgtLion (talk) 16:19, 16 May 2016 (MDT)
- I'm not normally one to stand up and talk, but I'll have to make an exception here. Marasmusine is one of the better admins on the wiki: he's very active, polite, and willing to help even lost causes with a fervor. As I see it, he's been trying to help you integrate for far longer than I think anyone else would have had the patience for, calmly ignoring your indirect and not-so-indirect attacks. Your one-man crusade against him is, in my opinion, offensive against not only him, but the wiki as well. It's also fairly clear that the only person complaining is you. Cancelion (talk) 00:44, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
- I know they are the type to watch wait and see and then invest a little here and there and maybe more in the long run. hell i do the same thing. I think at one point they asked about purchasing thier own little section here...i read it once i just dont know where. I think this issue has been talked about enoughfor one night...LOL McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 21:05, 16 May 2016 (MDT)
- Cancelion I would disagree with most of what you said. I understand your notion of 'need to defend' however. I agree that Marasmusine is the only one that helped. Just to be clear, i have read in some places where others were not happy with the aggression either. Its not hard to source out users and read their comments elsewhere. I find in most cases, its a little of both and ALLOT of miscommunication. I also wrote out allot of notes about this, not sure if it was here and they got deleted or somewhere else...If they got deleted here, then...others post got deleted too, and that kind of makes it suspicious like a cover up kind of thing...I think i posted elsewhere and simply dont remember at the moment.
- No worries. I am hopping the issue is resolved by now. I dont like having to babysit issues all the time. LOL I do enough of that in my personal life. LOL With adults...who cant seem to think for themselves...of course i am probably the same way in some areas. LOLMcAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 09:30, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
- I am prepared to improve the way I deal with users, but unless someone can show evidence (e.g. diffs) of how I'm harrassing people or being aggressive I don't see what I can do. My philosophy is that as much as possible I keep a neutral tone, and I criticize the work, not the author. Marasmusine (talk) 09:50, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
- I do too man, but i have a HARD HARD 'HARD' time with not criticizing the person, cause i cant stand stupid people...stupid people rule the world and demand perpetual stupidity...and ends up hurting or killing the really awesome people we have met that makes us want to be better and more like them. I take it personal and feed into things...i am getting better at it. It takes ALL my effort. I know i am agressive and i intimidate people twice my size who are even armed...i dont know how or why...maybe its because i like honesty, and smart solutions and they reflect failure in thier own lives and it scares them. I dont know. Anyway thanks for that input...it makes me want to work harder today...and i still forgot to eat breakfast... I will try to take note from this point forward...i am not one for rehashing...i need to go eat. LOL I have that evil campaign to think about and prepare fore. Hien The Hairless Dwarf, Hein The Mad Hairless Dwarf...takes off his full helm and smiles...daring you to say something...LOL (he has a stacked deffence feats earned by the evil leader.) It aint much, its just a little more than non humans...humans obviously get way more. The story goes that he was born hairless, not so much as an eyelash...He of course was picked on and beaten alot...he got stronger and eventually went berserk and killed everyone who ever picked on him, including his own family...i was going to make him a barbarian...but as the story unfolded in my minds eye...soon after the slaughter he drunk every bit of alcohol he could find, since everyone was dead...and then wondered topside in a rocky field to die...he awoke days later to find an army pitched round about him as far as the eye can see...(How does an entire army miss a drunk dwarf? Dont know) regardless, he secretly joined the army and became a soldier till he got tired of it and then he secretly went his own way. Now he is adventuring, sort of...when he isnt drunk or slobbering or doing back strokes in the masters blood ceremonial pool. LOL McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 13:11, 18 May 2016 (MDT)
- For the record, I'd like to revisit the original complaint, as well: Generally speaking, all homebrew on the site is judged against content in the SRD. If it is noticeably better or worse, balance concerns are warranted. If it is noticeably different in format or execution, then formatting templates are warranted. We do it because it is important to have a standard for balance so that players and DMs can peruse our site with some level of moderation. If your content intends to go against that grain (for example, by asserting that the SRD has a crucial flaw in a particular implementation - I.E. Flaws are basically free feats, 3.5e Paladin and Fighter are awful tier 5 classes who can't even melee effectively, etc.), then you can make that assertion and prepare to weather the on-coming storm. You can do this successfully on several occasions; The Races of War Sourcebook is an example of something that made drastic, transformational reinterpretations of traditional classes and feats, under the premise that the SRD had failed melee combat by an extreme margin, and therefore sought to change it.
- I know as much, because I've argued my case against Marasmusine several times; It appears to just be part of our opposing natures and interests. I've never had a problem with having to plant my flag and defend it, however, and we've always managed to come to some kind of conclusion without any problems. While I feel he can be a little stiff in his interpretations of some things, we've never had the kind of blow-up that is occurring right now, and this is an old conversation for us, I'd say.
- As for the rest of the original complaint, I invoke the following: "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Simply put, I've no reason to believe any majority of anonymous sources that all believe Marasmusine's adherence to site policy is driving them away, and the assertion without evidence fails to change that. --Jwguy (talk) 15:30, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
- Jwguy Nice work and info there, as i enjoy such, as Marasmusine knows. The only thing i can disagree with is the ASSUMPTION. A few peeps simple dont want to get involved anymore, as they have simply moved on and dont mind telling you so...even offensively... Me? I aint going digging cause it aint worth loosing friends over. Its just a 'thang'. Nothing to loose sleep over. Anyway, i like what you had to say, it was encouraging, even if i have a hard time not calling you Jiggly...cause thats the first word comes to mind when i see your name. LOL For my sake and yours please tell me SOMETHING that your Jw stands for! LOL I am soon to catch up on the daredevil episodes...My favorite characters in that show so far is Foggy Nelsson, the cute blonde delicious looking chick of course. I do like the intro and music...I need that for a ring tone LOL. I love how they told the story of KingPin...He reminds me of a friend i had LOL...looks and temperament anyway LOL —The preceding unsigned comment was added by McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts!McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 13:11, 18 May 2016 (MDT)
- It occurred to me this morning when i was waking, that truth remains. This is the best way i can say it and yes i am sure most of you can say it better, however in truth i like it this way;
- Homebrew is still up to the persons notion or idea or how they run their games, and not up to me, not up to you, and not even up to some competitive notion. To say it should reflect basic rules is good. However to say that it MUST, is bad. Regardless of what any of us think or feel or believe. To constantly demand that it MUST, can be interpreted, and removing their own disclaimers, can and Aught to be considered harassment, because if any non admin would do such a thing, that would clearly be harassment. Authority should lead by example, or all their words are in vain. Lord knows i spent a life time learning this...the very hard way...loosing friends, to death by...my own hands, consequently. We dont need kings and rulers, we need priest. Anywho. Thats not how it came out this morning when i was thinking about it.
- I say this because of the sacred love balance thing between us all. Its gotta be there. If we aint saying things in love, we dont need to be saying it, cause it wont do no good for anyone if its not said in love.
- Now mayhap it was 'Offical 5e Homwbrew'. That might be something different. Its the wording that gets me, since i am a natural writer. OH i just had an idea...I will need ALL of you for this awesome idea...if i dont forget to remember. Words are important, and the emotion and thoughts they create in another mind/heart/soul is the magic that must not be manipulated for evil reasons. Anywho II. Whats with me and this love trip today? I aint no hippy, it aint sunday and i am not a preacher. LOL Its just strongly in my heart and it foams over. Tiny bubbles...no not the song, please no dont sing that song...too late i know...LOL Now to the idea before i forget to remember. At least i remembered not to forget. LOL McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 09:14, 19 May 2016 (MDT)
- There is no assumption; I'm saying that the accusation is without merit or proof, therefore my stance is unwavering. Anyone can come and say "thousands of users hate dandwiki because of Jwguy's irrational fear of dust bunnies," but it won't really affect anything because it is an outlandish claim that has no supporting evidence and appears to rely purely on a false burden of proof/appeal to ignorance fallacy. Not to mention that the original complaint was issued by someone who has repeatedly run-in with Marasmusine's enforcement of policy, and therefore has bias. Besides, "a few people" is a believable statistic, but not a majority, and not the amorphous and anonymous "many" that the original complaint pushed.
- The matter of homebrew being considered against its official counterparts is the only real method of maintaining the intended balance of the game content, regardless of yours or anyone's personal feelings on the matter, and that is why it is maintained. It is why my Tirr campaign is considered to be a high-power campaign setting: Because Eberron, Greyhawk and Realms don't have the same power levels as my campaign's races, classes, and items do. You can say that a homebrew's value is determined by the beholder, and that's fine, but its balance is not subjective. It is a matter of objective testing and comparison. You can run a new class through the gamut against an existing SRD class (Same Game Test, anyone?) to determine if it averages out a higher or lower rate of successes, against any number of goals or strengths. Similarly, when you see a cheese class that is essentially a Monk-Rogue-Fighter combined (with all or most of the class features of each), it is rather simple to determine that it is much more powerful than any of its component classes.
- That's what balance ratings are for. This is a wiki, and anything submitted is typically open to editing by anyone; The interest in keeping items balanced (unless there is a very good reason to be better or worse than the SRD, such as the Races of War Sourcebook, above) is vested in premise of keeping the game fun for everyone.
- If you want to make something that is better or worse than the SRD, then all you need to do is realize the standard is the SRD, and make your case for going against that.
←Reverted indentation to one colon
- Your words seems all logical and good, I personally tire of trying to be the balance i know when something is not right or could be better, I it is not my job to provide proof. It is the one who inquires for it. I have researched...ALLOT of things in my life, and found no matter what proof i provide, people would more often than not, believe what they had already believed anyway regardless of evidence, for various reasons. So i found it wiser to let people do their own research and quit babysitting them over it. If they dont listen, then i dont bother with it anymore, the consequences are their own. I have enough of my own to deal with lol. I will remain adamant about the homebrew terminology. We can agree to disagree. I will agree i do like the way you think.
- How many classes are out there that has the fighter/monk/rouge combo going on? Ever consider why? I have and there is a hole that people see. They want their character to survive. I cant blame them for that. I take as many opportunities as i can also. I also was considering using this hole with a long lived character. I find some aspects of the fighter to be broken, and would rather see them removed. I see some aspects of the rouge under powered...like only one attack, ever....really? No Rouges...attack many times...many many...just saying... Monks seems to be so generalized that i miss the different types there used to be. So when you have all the players who liked one of these classes, there is bound to be at least one combination to get back some aspect that was tweaked...I cant blame them. It is like something was taken from them...
- In closing, i will say, overall this has been a semi delightful topic. I do appreciate everyone's input. I will be leaving in a few days for a trip...and i have no idea what will happen. I keep smelling cake and its making me hungry...so ima go raid some cake. LOLMcAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 13:58, 19 May 2016 (MDT)
- before i forget again, as the cake distracted me. If you have anything any of you want to talk about, ask it on my page...as i am done with this topic and would appreciate any comments about me would be directed TO me. Yes thats it.....cake......McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 14:00, 19 May 2016 (MDT)
|“||"I it is not my job to provide proof. It is the one who inquires for it."||”|
|—McAlester Gamerz Customer|
- This is incorrect. The Burden of Proof always falls on the issuer of an assertion or claim, not on those that dispute it. In this case, the original complaint made an assertion that many people were driven away by Marasmusine; It falls upon him to prove that, both as a claim and to those who dispute it.
- Similarly, when an NeedsBalance template is placed on a page, the assertion is backed by reasons and arguments to support it via the reasons field, ideally fulfilling burden of proof. Then, any proponents of the current revision are given an opportunity to supply their own claims and assertions, now with the burden of proof upon them, ad infinitum, until a singular objective truth is found, or until all parties cease the argument.
- Regarding the argument about the Fighter/Monk/Rogue, their reasons for doing so aren't all that relevant or mystifying; Everyone wants to 'win', insofar as the game allows. The argument is that it is decidedly more powerful a class than any of the components, which are official balanced classes. If our wiki accepts that the official classes are a standard for balance (and it does; everyone does for the most part, even people who play campaigns at higher power levels, because they are the only source of classes built and licensed by creators of the game), then homebrew is inevitably compared to it, and either meets the standard, is lower, or higher.
- Jwguy is totally right. We also cannot make exceptions to some content now if we have already deleted 50 examples of the same detriment. If you want something totally differernt then start out on 5e Rules, and if you have a problem with an admin please use the Burden of Proof and make a formal case with it. Since there are standards we need to maintain we are instead pushing for more content oversight, unless a valid argument and structure is made in its place. --Green Dragon (talk) 05:14, 28 May 2016 (MDT)
- I wanted to be done with this topic...and yet it continues... I am ignoring it. It is becoming bothersome and frustrating to me. Just because the 'government says so' is what its sounding like and we all know how stupid the government an be. I am not even going to read, for i feel more discouraged at even the idea that this is still going, and no one who commented had the decency to comment to me directly on my page as directed. THIS kind of crap is PUSHING me away. McAlester Gamerz Customer (talk) 16:01, 29 May 2016 (MDT)
- Look, I've had my fair share of long-winded debates with Marasmusine. It's clear he and I do not see eye to eye on all things. However, he has never come across as aggressive to me, he has always been clear and calm- something I cannot describe myself as. He has always been professional, and has always written in an appropriate tone. In every argument he and I have had, we have always been able to come to a reasonable solution. (Even if that meant me conceding to his logic from time to time) The maintenance templates are meant to be placed on the main page, and are supposed to contain precise details regarding blatant issues on the page. Though the phrase "see talk" has been used, I usually only use this when the issue can only be brought up in the form of discussion, rather than plain statements. It is not rude. It is not personal. It's just practical. And Marasmusine is not the only user who has clearly identified issues with some of these pages- I have taken a great deal of time to review much of this content in detail and offer my assistance in bringing the content into accord with the basic fundamentals of the game's structure. If you publish 5th edition content that doesn't use 5th edition rules, and makes no effort to incorporate new rules to justify it, then it isn't 5th edition content. The rules compose the system, the system is the game. This is a public wiki, and there is a disclaimer at the bottom of every edit page that reads, "If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here." Technically, me putting those templates on those pages is me being polite- I could have just rewritten them entirely without saying a damn thing! However, I have enough respect to ask before I edit the body text of a page, and discuss any changes to be made with the OP before doing anything. I usually have the grace to let the OP make revisions to a page in their own words, rather than foist my specific phrasing upon them. The fact of the matter is, when people come to this website looking for new content for their game, they do so with the expectation that the finished content here will be compatible with that game. If it is not, then we have failed as designers and as a community. Many users have voiced disdain for this website because there is next to no oversight or review of content, and it is littered with incomplete, broken, incompatible, dysfunctional garbage masquerading as complete material. There's even a comment expressing such on the discussion page right now! (Though nobody ever replied to the poor guy) --Kydo (talk) 23:08, 29 May 2016 (MDT)
- If you do not want to continue this discussion, then the best course of action is to say your peace and leave it. It will ultimately end when all interested parties have done so. Also, please do respect the colon indentation.
- 1) It keeps going on because of the nature of the beast (that beast being that this a wiki, and people like to comment on things when they become aware of them, which may not always be immediately afterwards or even on the same level as your interest in the matter), and 2) McAlester Gamerz Customer, it is no-one else's duty to keep you apprised of any topic or on-going discussion; That's what the watch tab, at the top of the page, and Recent Changes are for. That is not a matter of decency; As far as I can tell, you've not been victimized by anyone, nor has TierArea. Furthermore, the fact of the matter is that wikis operate on consensus and rational debate; the purpose isn't to win arguments or have people agree with you so much as it is to produce a clear decision on any matter. Please do not take it personally that your arguments are meeting opposition.
- This wiki has standards set for what it considers balanced (and we're not the only ones; several sites for D&D content spawned from this one alone, and while they may use different ratings or templates, all of them considered balanced as a parameter to depend on the source material), and as a wiki, it is a community venture; Anyone can edit anything, and everyone can make a claim against anything. That's the nature of the beast. You cannot hole up and claim that your page is perfect and any claims to the contrary is harassment - especially not when you and one other person are the only ones who think so. By submitting content to this wiki, you are acknowledging that other users may come along and find issue with it or may want to correct obvious flaws. Your only defense against that is clear and rational communication.
- Put simply, there is no such thing as a "Homebrew Rule", as TierArea put it on their userpage, that allows you to overrule consensus and standards already in place on the wiki. I don't know how to explain it any clearer: You don't just join up to a wiki and start telling people what the rules are, which ones you want to obey, which standards you want to ignore. It doesn't work like that. --Jwguy (talk) 23:53, 29 May 2016 (MDT)
- Thanks for all of the information. I'm glad it appears to be resolved now. — Blue Dragon (talk) 13:08, 13 July 2016 (MDT)
Admin List is blanko?
- I get a HTTP 500 error from this crappy computer (Win XP/IE 5). Marasmusine (talk) 09:44, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
Huh, while I'm botherin' you, I noticed dandwiki supports HTTPS now (It didn't always, right?). As an avid HTTPS supporter, dare I suggest we just make that the default?. Or at the very least we could add dandwiki.com to the HTTPS-Everywhere site list on the repository so that extension users can do it; I don't mind doing the pull request myself if it helps. That being said, I don't host my own mediawiki, maybe it breaks some things? --SgtLion (talk) 09:26, 17 May 2016 (MDT)
- Hi SgtLion, thanks for the notice. The issue is that we use SNI which is not fully supported by several proxies and browsers and as such I hesitate to enforce HTTPS. I'll look into whether this is common with CloudFlare SNI setups. Thanks! — Blue Dragon (talk) 10:07, 20 May 2016 (MDT)
- This is talking about how you can access D&D Wiki with more securely than normal---you can visit https://www.dandwiki.com and protect your login information and your edits. However, this won't work in all situations because we use CloudFlare, and so until it's more widely supported I'm keeping the default to the (far less secure) HTTP. Does this make sense? Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 18:35, 6 June 2016 (MDT)
- Thanks, this should be dealt with. I actually made autoconfirmed users exempt from the CAPTCHA; if this starts to let spam in I'll come up with another solution (maybe a new user group for manually "confirmed" users.) — Blue Dragon (talk) 07:27, 27 July 2016 (MDT)
Curious about the puzzle
I'm curious about what the puzzle actually does, since it's obviously not to prove my humanity. Is it just to impose a time requirement per post, to slow down spammers? (If it is, you might want to make it harder. It says it's supposed to take 20 seconds on a fast machine, my two-year-old bargain-model laptop does it in four.) -- Lord Eric (talk) 00:08, 17 July 2016 (MDT)
- Indeed, the puzzle stops spammers from writing 5000 vandalized pages in a few second period (and yet when I want to auto-create like 5 articles I seem to temporarily crash the whole site..). Interesting that it's that fast for you; My hella fast machine takes a good 10 seconds at least. -SgtLion (talk) 06:48, 26 July 2016 (MDT)
- I know this isn't my topic, but I thought I'd add that before I was exempted, my computer was able to finish the puzzle in about 4 seconds, as well. --Sage of Souls (talk) 13:27, 26 July 2016 (MDT)
- Hi Lord Eric, you're right (as is SgtLion). More specifically, it imposes a computation requirement; if you are going to post, then you are going to have to prove that you performed a certain computation. This is the "puzzle". I built the puzzle to be incredibly easy for the server to verify yet the only known way of solving it is to randomly guess and check. The time requirements are something I've played around with to try to keep it from annoying too many people---the 20 seconds is to keep someone from waiting minutes for it to be solved. Let me know if you want any more details and I'll be happy to explain. Thanks! — Blue Dragon (talk) 18:09, 26 July 2016 (MDT)
- I know this isn't my topic, but I thought I'd add that before I was exempted, my computer was able to finish the puzzle in about 4 seconds, as well. --Sage of Souls (talk) 13:27, 26 July 2016 (MDT)
Missing From the World
Hello, my dearest Sapphire Flyin' Lizard~ Please help me, 'cause I think I'm going nutso. I distinctly remember interacting with a class called "Moe Mage" or something similar, and reverting some vandalism on it. I seem to remember liking the class itself; It certainly had nothing untoward in it, but as far as I can tell it's been deleted from the history of the internet, or my clear memory is totally wrong. Might it have been deleted via the back-end, or something? Do we do that? Or should I be laying off the absinthe? --SgtLion (talk) 14:28, 29 July 2016 (MDT)
- Never mind. 20 frustrated minutes of combing through my contribution logs has found it, and it was nothing like what I dun' imagined. Nostalgia, I guess ): Though while I'm on the subject, I am now curious - Do we ever delete things from the backend with any degree of regularity? --SgtLion (talk) 14:43, 29 July 2016 (MDT)
- Hi SgtLion, I only delete things directly if there is some sort of an encoding problem. For example, some of the titles that have unicode characters (such as Æ) were causing redirects to be thoroughly broken and I had to delete them directly. I'm glad you were able to find that class! — Blue Dragon (talk) 11:06, 7 August 2016 (MDT)
Improving Our Reputation
So, I've noticed your absence in Discussion:Homebrew 'n SRD Differentiation and other issues, which I'm assuming means you just haven't seen it. A lot of the things being suggested or discussed are going to need some work on the technical side, and Green Dragon has stated that your participation would be necessary in some of these things. If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps take a look at what we're working on? --Kydo (talk) 02:27, 27 August 2016 (MDT)
- Hey Kydo, I had not seen it---thanks for pointing me to it. It turns out that you can modify the style for the SRD namespaces (https://www.dandwiki.com/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css&diff=prev&oldid=803492) by changing MediaWiki:Common.css. This should hopefully by enough to at least get started. Please let me know if you want any specific custom extra work done on top of the namespace stylesheet changes. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 16:00, 8 October 2016 (MDT)
- Is it possible to add a banner-style image to the top of the page layout for the entire SRD namespace? I'm inexperienced with css, and I'm still learning just wiki markup as it is, so I have no idea what's actually possible. Also, do you think people would lose their minds if I just changed it without saying anything? --Kydo (talk) 16:46, 8 October 2016 (MDT)
Hiya BlueDo, I certainly first would point to Kydo's talk addition above. But also, I did send you an email about some Tavern shit about a week ago, by GD's recommendation, and you ain't responded. You're a busy man with busy priorities, I'm sure, just wan'ed to make sure you got it. Thankee <3 --SgtLion (talk) 05:23, 27 August 2016 (MDT)
Hello i am attempting to save a Homebrew Class and when i hit the begin puzzle search after a few moments it just shows me a bunch of random numbers and nothing else i am confused on what i should do. i fill out the captcha and it doesnt help and to the left of the box where the random number spawns is a random series of numbers. I would appreciate it if you guys could help me or let me skip it i would like to share it with some friends.
- Hi, I made an exemption for your IP address. However, if you run into this again, make sure that you are using a modern browser without disabling various forms of scripting. You will want to press the button to search for a number before submitting the form. Thanks, — Blue Dragon (talk) 01:49, 29 October 2016 (MDT)