Gypsy (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Editing:||Not Without Consent, Spelling and Grammar O.K.|
Ironically inspired by a somewhat offensive thread on /tg/, I brewed up this class with some amusement.
The Gypsy is a gifted merchant, entertainer, and even magus. His prowess in these areas lead him easily into the world of adventuring.
 Making a Gypsy
Abilities: Intelligence and Dexterity are important traits amidst the Gypsies, so much so that Gypsies who are not as gifted in these stats are often mocked and ridiculed by his betters. Feats of Strength and Charisma are welcome talents as well, though Constitution and Wisdom is no mere sleight either.
Races: Many races, both savage and civilized, have a nomadic and curious spirit. As such, there is such a wide array of peoples who join the ranks of the nomads known as Gypsies that even the most prepared adventurers gawk.
Alignment: Any. Gypsies tend towards Chaotic, or Lawful Neutral, but are common to take more extremes as well.
Starting Gold: As Rogue.
Starting Age: Simple.
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+0||Grace And Guile, Fate With My Wrist, Tell Fortune, Studies I||4||2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+1||+0||+3||+0||I Sense... +1||5||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+3||+1||+4||+1||Studies II, Tell Fate||5||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+5||+2||+5||+2||Death At My Fingertips||5||4||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|9th||+6/+1||+3||+6||+3||I Sense... +2||5||4||4||4||3||—||—||—||—||—|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+5||I Sense... +3||5||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||2||—|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+6||Studies V, I Sense... +4||5||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
 Class Features
Gypsies are gifted tradesmen, merchants, and entertainers. All of the following are class features of the Gypsy.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Gypsies are proficient with all Simple Weapons, the Whip, The Scythe, The Spiked Chain, The Bolas, and the Net. Gypsies are not proficient with any type of armor, or shield, and use of either interferes with their abilities and maneuverability.
Spells: Gypsies cast arcane spells spontaneously, like Sorcerers do. They have an amount of spells per day as listed on the table above, but they know all spells upon the Gypsy spell list as listed below automatically. Gypsies can only cast spells that they have an INT, or CHA (Player's choice) score equal to Spell-Level + 10, Gypsies do not gain bonus spells or spells per day through a high INT or CHA. Gypsy spells are based off of their INT, or CHA, whichever is higher. Gypsies gain their spells through a long history, and tradition of their vagabond group. Gypsies choose their spells from the Gypsy spell list:
- Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.
- Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
- Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
- Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
- Flare: Dazzles one creature (–1 on attack rolls).
- Light: Object shines like a torch.
- Ghost Sound: Figment sounds
- Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
- Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
- Message: Whispered conversation at distance.
- Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
- Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
- Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
- Mount: Summons riding horse for 2 hours/level.
- Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
- Summon Monster I: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- IdentifyM: Determines properties of magic item.
- Charm Person: Makes one person your friend.
- Hypnotism: Fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
- Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.
- Color Spray: Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures.
- Disguise Self: Changes your appearance.
- Magic Aura: Alters object’s magic aura.
- Silent Image: Creates minor illusion of your design.
- Ventriloquism: Throws voice for 1 min./level.
- Animate Rope: Makes a rope move at your command.
- Enlarge Person: Humanoid creature doubles in size.
- Erase: Mundane or magical writing vanishes.
- Expeditious Retreat: Your speed increases by 30 ft.
- Feather Fall: Objects or creatures fall slowly.
- Jump: Subject gets bonus on Jump checks.
- Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
- Reduce Person: Humanoid creature halves in size.
- Fog Cloud: Fog obscures vision.
- Glitterdust: Blinds creatures, outlines invisible creatures.
- Summon Monster II: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Hideous Laughter: Subject loses actions for 1 round/level.
- Touch of Idiocy: Subject takes 1d6 points of Int, Wis, and Cha damage.
- Continual FlameM: Makes a permanent, heatless torch.
- Darkness: 20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow.
- Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures.
- Blur: Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
- Hypnotic Pattern: Fascinates (2d4 + level) HD of creatures.
- Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
- Magic MouthM: Speaks once when triggered.
- Minor Image: As silent image, plus some sound.
- Mirror Image: Creates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 +1 per three levels, max 8).
- Misdirection: Misleads divinations for one creature or object.
- Phantom TrapM: Makes item seem trapped.
- Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blinded or deafened.
- Spectral Hand: Creates disembodied glowing hand to deliver touch attacks.
- Cat's Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
- Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
- Eagle's Splendor: Subject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
- Fox's Cunning: Subject gains +4 Int for 1 min./level.
- Knock: Opens locked or magically sealed door.
- Levitate: Subject moves up and down at your direction.
- Pyrotechnics: Turns fire into blinding light or choking smoke.
- Rope Trick: As many as eight creatures hide in extradimensional space.
- Spider Climb: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
- Whispering Wind: Sends a short message 1 mile/level.
- Dispel Magic: Cancels magical spells and effects.
- Summon Monster III: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Arcane Sight: Magical auras become visible to you.
- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 min./level.
- Telepathic Bond, Lesser: As telepathic bond, but you and one other creature.
- Tongues: Speak any language.
- Suggestion: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
- Fireball: 1d6 damage per level, 20-ft. radius.
- Lightning Bolt: Electricity deals 1d6/level damage.
- Tiny Hut: Creates shelter for ten creatures.
- Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.
- Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50%.
- Illusory ScriptM: Only intended reader can decipher.
- Invisibility Sphere: Makes everyone within 10 ft. invisible.
- Major Image: As silent image, plus sound, smell and thermal effects.
- Fly: Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.
- Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
- Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, –1 to AC, reflex saves, and attack rolls.
- Minor Creation: Creates one cloth or wood object.
- Secure Shelter: Creates sturdy cottage.
- Solid Fog: Blocks vision and slows movement.
- Summon Monster IV: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Arcane Eye: Invisible floating eye moves 30 ft./round.
- Detect Scrying: Alerts you of magical eavesdropping.
- Locate Creature: Indicates direction to familiar creature.
- ScryingF: Spies on subject from a distance.
- Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 5d6 sonic damage.
- Hallucinatory Terrain: Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, or the like).
- Illusory Wall: Wall, floor, or ceiling looks real, but anything can pass through.
- Invisibility, Greater: As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
- Rainbow Pattern: Lights fascinate 24 HD of creatures.
- Shadow Conjuration: Mimics Conjuration below 4th level, but only 20% real.
- Enlarge Person, Mass: Enlarges several creatures.
- Reduce Person, Mass: Reduces several creatures.
- Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any shape.
- Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
- Dismissal: Forces a creature to return to native plane.
- Mage's Private Sanctum: Prevents anyone from viewing or scrying an area for 24 hours.
- Mage's Faithful Hound: Phantom dog can guard, attack.
- Major Creation: As minor creation, plus stone and metal.
- Planar Binding, Lesser: Traps extraplanar creature of 6 HD or less until it performs a task.
- Secret ChestF: Hides expensive chest on Ethereal Plane; you retrieve it at will.
- Summon Monster V: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Teleport: Instantly transports you as far as 100 miles/level.
- Sending: Delivers short message anywhere, instantly.
- Wall of Force:Wall is immune to damage.
- Shadow Evocation: Mimics evocation below 5th level, but only 20% real.
- Animal Growth: One animal/two levels doubles in size.
- Baleful Polymorph: Transforms subject into harmless animal.
- Fabricate: Transforms raw materials into finished items.
- Overland Flight: You fly at a speed of 40 ft. and can hustle over long distances.
- Guards and Wards: Array of magic effects protect area.
- Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but +20 on check.
- Planar Binding: As lesser planar binding, but up to 12 HD.
- Summon Monster VI: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Legend LoreMF: Lets You learn tales about a person, place, or thing.
- Mislead: Turns you invisible and creates illusory double.
- Permanent Image: Includes sight, sound, and smell.
- Programmed ImageM: As major image, plus triggered by event.
- Veil: Changes appearance of group of creatures.
- Sequester: Subject is invisible to sight and scrying; renders creature comatose.
- Spell Turning: Reflect 1d4+6 spell levels back at caster.
- Instant SummonsM: Prepared object appears in your hand.
- Mage's Magnificent MansionF: Door leads to extradimensional mansion.
- Phase Door: Creates an invisible passage through wood or stone.
- Summon Monster VII: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- VisionMX:<As legend lore, but quicker and strenuous.
- Mage's SwordF: Floating magic blade strikes opponents.
- Prismatic Spray: Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
- Invisibility, Mass: As invisibility, but affects all in range.
- Project Image: Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
- Shadow Conjuration, Greater: As shadow conjuration, but up to 6th level and 60% real.
- SimulacrumMX: Creates partially real double of a creature.
- Prismatic Wall: Wall’s colors have array of effects.
- Protection from SpellsMF:Confers +8 resistance bonus.
- Maze: Traps subject in extradimensional maze.
- Planar Binding, Greater: As lesser planar binding, but up to 18 HD.
- Summon Monster VIII: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
- Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
- Maddening Scream: Forces subject to scream and drop defenses.
- SympathyF: Object or location attracts certain creatures.
- Shout, Greater: Devastating yell deals 10d6 sonic damage; stuns creatures, damages objects.
- Sunburst: Blinds all within 10 ft., deals 6d6 damage.
- Scintillating Pattern: Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious.
- Screen: Illusion hides area from vision, scrying.
- Shadow Evocation, Greater: As shadow evocation, but up to 7th level and 60% real.
- Freedom: Releases creature from imprisonment.
- Imprisonment: Entombs subject beneath the earth.
- Mage's Disjunction: Dispels magic, disenchants magic items.
- Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.
- Foresight: “Sixth sense” warns of impending danger.
- Shades: As shadow conjuration, but up to 8th level and 80% real.
Grace And Guile: A Gypsy may add his Charisma, or Intelligence modifier (Whichever is higher) as a bonus to his AC, this bonus affects his Touch and Flat-footed AC, but not when he is helpless or loses his dexterity bonus to his AC. This ability functions only while the Gypsy wears no armor or shield, and carries less than a medium load.
Fate With My Wrist: A Gypsy gains the Quickdraw feat automatically at 1st level, along with ignoring the penalties associated with using any type of weapon that is properly sized (Or one size category smaller) for him as a Throwing Weapon. He uses his Strength, or Dexterity (Whichever is higher) modifier as an addition to damage done with a thrown weapon or item.
Tell Fortune (Ex): A Gypsy may use a standard action to gain a +2 luck bonus to his next Attack, Save, or Skill-check. This ability may be used times per day equal to their Intelligence modifier (Minimum 1.)
Studies: At every associated level with this ability listed, the Gypsy may learn an additional spell from the Wizard/Sorceror spell-list that is not already known by them. This spell must be of a level they are at that level able to cast, but may be from any school of magic. This reflects an intensive study of the spell.
Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a Gypsy can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Gypsy is wearing no armor, and is carrying less than a medium load. A helpless Gypsy does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Tell Fate (Ex): At 5th level, a Gypsy gains the ability to grant a precognition to the future, this precognition consists of story-elements the DM grants to the Gypsy in a 'vision'.
Death At My Fingertips (Ex): At 7th level, the gypsy becomes quite gifted in the art of throwing weapons, and items. He now gains 1&1/2th of their Strength or Dexterity (Whichever is higher) modifiers to damage with thrown weapons. He also gains the ability to throw weapons one size-category larger than himself.
Foxglove (Ex): At 11th level, the Gypsy gains the arcane ability as a swift action to coat any weapon with a blade with an Injury Poison that, on a successful attack, deals an extra d6 in damage to anyone it damages on it's next attack.
Wolfsbane (Ex): At 13th level, the Gypsy gains the arcane ability as a swift action to coat any weapon with a blade with an Injury Poison that, on a successful attack, gains the Silver and Good-aligned traits, bypassing any Damage Reductions associated with them.
Nightshade (Ex): At 17th level, the Gypsy gains the arcane ability as a swift action to coat any weapon with a blade with an Injury Poison that, on a successful attack, paralyzes for 1d4 rounds.
Hemlock (Ex): At 19th level, the Gypsy gains the arcane ability as a swift action to coat any weapon with a blade with an Injury Poison that, on a successful attack, requires a Save VS. Death of any enemy not immune to Poison. The DC for this save is 20 + the Gypsy's Intelligence Modifier.
 Epic Gypsy
|30th||Bonus Feat, Studies VII|
6 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Bonus Feats: The epic Gypsy gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic feats) every 2 levels after 20th.
 Half-Orc Gypsy Starting Package
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 6 + Int modifier.
Feat: Combat Casting
Gear: Gypsy's Outfit, Bedroll, Flint and Tinder, Trail Rations (3 days), Waterskinx2, Parchmentx3, Ink & Inkpen, Silk Rope 50ft.
Gold: 27 GP
 Campaign Information
 Playing a Gypsy
Religion: Gypsies prefer Gods and Goddesses associated with the nomadic lifestyle, and the arcane. However, many follow their own choices and paths.
Other Classes: Gypsies get along well with Rogues, Fighters, and Bards. A source of endless amusement, and an often friendly attitude. Wizards, and Sorcerors, however, tend to view their version of magic as 'unrefined', and often somewhat insulting. Druids, Paladins, and Clerics often have mixed views on the members of this class, as do Monks.
Combat: Skill-focused, moderate-spell-casting. A ranged attacker at best.
Advancement: Gypsies who wish to truly embrace the Arcane take levels in Wizard, or Sorceror, or advance into Prestige Classes that enjoy the ability to cast Arcane Spells, and wade into melee.
 Gypsies in the World
|“||"Into your future I will see, and a destiny foretold, for coins, will be!"||”|
|—Thaddeus Darkmoon, Gnome Gypsy|
Daily Life: Gypsies are different from group to group, but many spend most of their day traveling, entertaining, peddling their wares.
Notables: The Flower of Peace, a large group of Gypsies who run a medievil-style circus, full of magic and wonder.
Organizations: Gypsies as a whole are somewhat rare outside of their own vagabond groups, and, as such, they are rarely part of a larger community of each other. However, there is a greater amount of these coming into existence.
NPC Reactions: There are a mixture of reactions towards a Gypsy. Intrigue, disgust, happiness, hatred. Some view them as penniless vagabonds, which some are, while others view them as bringers of endless joy, which just as many are.
 Gypsy Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) can research Gypsies to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Gypsies are a traveling group of vagabonds, whom dabble in Arcane magicks, mostly into illusions and enchantments.|
|10||Gypsies learn their magic a much different way than Wizards, and Sorcerers. Their magic is passed down from generation to generation, leading to an almost instinctive knowledge of what they can, and cannot cast, spell-wise.|
|15||Even the youngest Gypsy is instilled with the need for grace, and intelligence. Due to this, many young gypsies are ridiculed and taunted by their superiors, and it is not uncommon for young gypsies to leave their caravan to join civilized life.|
|20||Any character who makes this check recalls any major NPCs of this class, organization, or any relevant data on the Gypsy way.|
 Gypsies in the Game
Adaptation: Gypsies are an adaptation of the vagabond tribes that go from place to place, enduring the harsh wilds of the world to peddle their wares, and entertain all with their shows of grace, guile, and charisma.
Sample Encounter: ECL10
EL 8: To be added soon.