Way of the Focused Ki (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Way of the Focused Ki
All those that walk the path of the monk learn to harness the power of their life force, or their Ki, to strengthen their martial arts. However, there are a rare few who have learned through practice or natural talent to draw forth large amounts of Ki, focusing it to increase their combat ability to superhuman levels. This lost art of Ki manipulation is dangerous to both the enemies of the user, and the user themself.
- Focused Strikes
When you choose the tradition at 3rd level, you learn to shroud your body with condensed Ki in battle, hardening your body, and focusing your Ki into one point at the moment of impact to increase the force behind your unarmed strikes.
- You gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws.
- As a bonus action, you can choose to spend 1 Ki point to cause your Ki to surge and focus around your body. Your Armor Class increases by 1, and your unarmed strikes deal an extra 1d4 of force damage. This ability lasts for 1 minute, or until you end it early as a free action.
- Sense Ki
Starting at level 3, your sharpened senses are attuned to feeling strong energies.
- You gain the ability to cast Detect Magic at will.
- At level 6, you gain the ability to cast Detect Good and Evil at will.
- At level 11, you gain blindight out to 10 feet while using your Focused Strikes ability.
- At level 17, your blindsight during Focused Strikes extends to 30 feet
- Ki Impact
Starting from 6th level, you gain the ability to focus a large amount of your Ki into one powerful attack. As a Bonus Action, you begin charging your Ki, spending 2 Ki points or more, before spending your Action to release it into one large attack. Make an attack roll with your unarmed strike. If it hits, it deals your unarmed strike damage, in addition to 2d8 force damage + 1d8 for every additional Ki point spent (3 Ki points = 3d8 force damage, etc.) If the attack misses, you can continue channeling it for use on your next turn. This requires Concentration, as if concentrating on a spell. If you lose concentration before the attack connects, the Focused energy is lost.
- Ki Manipulation
At level 11, you gain the ability to manipulate your Ki in more advanced ways:
- Ki Shroud: When activating your Focused Strikes ability, you may spend 3 additional Ki points to gain the effects of the Haste spell (no concentration required) while Focused Strikes is active, and the extra force damage increases to 1d6.
- Suppress Ki: You've learned to suppress your Ki when necessary, masking your presence. You gain proficiency in stealth. If you already have proficiency, you gain expertise in stealth.
- Forceful Presence: You gain the ability to project your Ki outwards towards your enemy, overwhelming them with the sheer pressure of your Ki, and you're resolve to kill. As an action, you can spend 2 Ki points to cast the Fear spell.
- Master of Ki
Starting at level 17, you gain the following abilities:
- Using Focused Strikes no longer costs a bonus action.
- When using your Ki Shroud ability, the extra Force damage you deal increases to 1d8.
- Your maximum Ki pool also permanently increases by an amount equal to your Wisdom modifier.