Viking (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Coming out of the north, and most useful in sea campaigns, Vikings are formidable PCs and NPCs. They are adept at seamanship, ship building and repair, navigation, and fighting from ship to ship. In addition, the long ship was designed with a shallow keel, allowing it to navigate up and down even the shallowest rivers, thus enabling them the element of surprise when attacking from water onto land. It should be noted, though, that the vessels were also extremely fast on the open sea, and capable of deep water crossings (i.e. Greenland to Vinland) and rough seas (i.e. the Baltic). The Vikings were fierce warriors and feared as well as respected, becoming the personal body guard (the Varangian Guard) of the Emperor of Constantinople. The Viking is a charger and shield basher.
- Alignment: Any Non-Lawful
- Base Attack Bonus: +5
- Feats: Power Attack, Improved Shield Bash
- Skills: Profession (Sailor) 5 ranks, Swim 5 ranks
- Special: Must be accepted and trained by a Viking Clan
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Rage 1/Day, Morale Charge +2, Seadog|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+0||Berserker Charge, Viking Shield Bash|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+1||Rage 2/Day, Morale Charge +3, Pillager|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+1||Tactical Charger, Zig-Zag Charge|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+1||Rage 3/Day, Morale Charge +4, Viking Defense|
|Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level)|
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex)
All the following are class features of the Viking:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Viking gains proficiency in axe, spear and sword only (no specialization), and may wear only chainmail or banded mail. (I introduced the bearded axe, which does 1d8, and has a +1 to hit — due to the bearded part being excellent at hooking and pulling open shields, thus creating a "hole" in the defense and allowing it's wielder to strike successfully.)
Rage (Ex): A Viking can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. This functions identically to the Barbarian Class feature. If you already have Rage, this increases the number of times it can be used by 1. You gain an additional use of Rage at 3rd and 5th Levels.
Morale Charge (Ex): When a Viking charges at the beginning of the battle, all of his allies and he, gain a morale boost. The first time a Viking charges into battle, all Allies within 60ft gain a +2 morale bonus to Attack, Damage, and Will Saves. This bonus lasts until combat is over. This bonus improves at 3rd and 5th levels.
Seadog: The Viking is a Sailor and knows how to survive on the open seas. You add your class level to Profession (Sailor) and Swim checks. Also, whenever you are on a ship, you gain a +2 on Attack Rolls, AC, and Reflex Saves.
Berserker Charge (Ex):At 2nd Level, When a Viking charges while in Rage it is a terrifying sight. While in Rage a Viking does an additional +1d8 Damage at the end of a charge.
Viking Shield Bash (Ex):At 2nd Level, A Viking can deal massive damage with his shield as if it was bigger. When wielding a shield and making a Shield Bash, increase the damage die by one. So a Heavy Shield becomes 1d6 Damage instead of 1d4, A Spiked Heavy Shield becomes 1d8, etc.
Pillager (Ex): At 3rd Level, A Viking is a natural Pillager and excels at breaking objects. A Vikings strength score when breaking items is treated as 4 points higher than it actually is. Also, A Viking ignores half the hardness of an object when trying to break it.
Tactical Charger (Ex): At 4th Level, A Viking learns different tactics to use while charging. A Viking can preform any of the following maneuvers:
- Knockdown Charge: While making a charge and making a shield bash, you may try to trip your opponent by knocking them over. Your attack only does half damage and you take an additional -1 to AC (which lasts for one round). You must at least make a melee touch attack to initiate the trip. If you succeed on the trip attempt your opponent is now prone, if you fail the opponent does not get an attempt to trip you.
- Sword & Board: While making a charge with a shield and some other weapon, you may attack with both the shield and the other weapon at the same time at your highest base attack bonus. You lose the +2 Attack bonus on the attack and take an additional -1 to AC. This does not generate AoO's.
- Follow Up Strike: While making a charge with any melee weapon, you may make an additional attack at the end of your charge. The second attack uses your highest base attack bonus but at a -5 Penalty. Also, the second attack only adds 1/2 your strength bonus. You take an additional -1 to AC and this does not generate AoO's.
- Windmill Charge: While making a charge with any melee weapon(s), you may make an additional attack against one adjacent enemy where you ended the charge. This extra attack is made at your highest base attack bonus but is at a -5 attack penalty and only adds 1/2 your strength bonus. You take an additional -1 to AC and this does not generate an AoO.
Zig-Zag Charge (Ex): At 4th Level, A Viking learns how to change direction while charging. A Viking may make one, up to 90 degrees, turn during a charge.
Viking Defense (Ex): At 5th Level, A Viking learns how to use shields more effectively to block attacks. The Shield bonus to AC improves by +1 to all shields used by the Viking.