Vampire Half-breed (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Half Breed Vampire
Origin of the Half Breed Vampire
Vampire half-breeds are created when a humanoid child is either cursed by a dark lord while in the womb, or one of the parents was a vampire. It happens with any mortals commonly accursed beings because in their genesis they were given a link to darkness, half-tiefling half vampires are very common.
Personality of the Half Breed Vampire
Half-breeds are normally charismatic as they can feel the power surging in their blood. They are normally very egotistical due to their inborn abilities. They also get traits from their other parent occasionally. A half-breed which had human or even divine parents is more likely to be kind and generous, while on which had fey or even tiefling parents would be more likely to become a sarcastic liar who tries to trick people. These traits often come with advantages and disadvantages. It is also worth taking note that a half-breed doesn't have to take the personality traits of their undead parent, but they are more likely. Half-Breed typically bear a special resentment for vampires, particularly their vampiric parent, because Half-Breed are incapable of reproduction. Half-Breed are known to disclose the identity of a vampire or the location of a vampire coven to the authorities due to their resentment.
Physical Description of the Half Breed Vampire
Half-breeds are partially descended from various stock, and this is reflected in their physique. They are slightly more slender than human men and women on average. Each is unique as its appearance depends on its race and vampiric parent. You will look like the other "halve" parent race but with a more sinister look.(Whiter complexion, paler hair, example pale-grey or platine, black eyes or grey eyes, sometimes bloody-red.)
When an half-breed is young, it's hard to tell the difference between a half-breed and a child of the other race. This causes many problems in homes when a half-breed is born.
Height and weight is also too diverse to mention but it depends on the non-vampire parent race.
Other people often judge a half-breed on their racial heritage instead of how the half-breed acts. Most common people tend to think that half-breeds all act exactly like their vampiric parent. These can have its upsides and downsides. Tiefling, fey and half-elves as well as other mischievous races or half breeds all respect a half-breed where the divine and more suspicious races will seeth with hatred or at least disdain.
They normally have the same alignment of their ancestor, but there are exceptions. Other alignments are more common when a half-breed wants to be seen in a different light to their fiendish relative. This means that any alignment is possible regardless of the darker heritage.
Half-Breeds live were ever they were born. They have no lands of their own.
Religion is as a "Non-Vampiric Parent Race" would however with a sense of deep irony for holy half-breeds, and a common dread experiences by those who encounter one with a darker nature.
All half-breed Vampire are taught Common and the languages of their native homeland.
They are named like normal (Use Non-vampiric parents race) because when they are babies it is hard to tell the difference between the child and their progeny.
Pick the other "halve" of the Half-Breed Vampire, do not add or subtract racial ability scores of the other "parent" race but add any special ability that is not listed already.
- Half Breed Vampire Gains +2 strength, +2 dexterity, +2 charisma
- Undead (Mixed)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, half-breeds have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Half-Breed Vampire base land speed is 30 ft. With A flight Speed of 25 feat at poor maneuverability which increases to 50 ft at lvl 7 for both movement and flight and flight become Good Maneuverability. The Half-Breed flight capability doesn't come from wings but from an vampiric supernatural ability.
- Darkvision: A half-breed can see four-times as far as a human on cloudless nights, in dungeons and similar conditions of minimal to no illumination. They retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Inborn Skill: A half-breed is very talented/crafty and gains four extra skill points at first level. They also gain one extra skill point at every level past 1st thanks to the fact they had to hide their nature and deal with it since they were conscious about it.
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-breed takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.
Level Adjustment: 0
- A Half-Breeds is not immortal, triple the age range of the non-vampire race of the half-breed.(Example if you were half-elf, you would live up to 175 years but as an half-elf/Half Vampire you would live up to 525 years.) You take the same time like your non-vampiric parent race to fully mature to adulthood.
- Since they are not fully undead. They must survive in the same manner of their non-vampiric parent race, which typically includes eating food as opposed to drinking blood for sustenance. (Blood is still needed but not as much as a full-fledged vampire) Despite their mostly human (or other) body they do have some alterations.
- Immunity to the following effects: Sleep, confusion, Charm, Poison, Disease, Paralysis. They can still die from massive damage as they do not fully posses the unnatural undead resistance of their vampiric parent. (50+ damage may still kill them if the DM decide so.)
- As an partially undead creature, their body will be a lower temperature then a living member of their base race but it won't be icy cold like some lore suggests. The change in body temperature is noticeable but not suspicious in and of itself (the change is not significant enough). Since they retain a heartbeat and pulse, they are not immune to attacks that cause bleeding. The actual loss of blood will not harm them; though, if they lose enough blood they will grow hungry for blood. Half-Breed do not incur bleeding damage but the attack that caused the bleeding still harms them "as normal" (no recurring bleeding damage beside the original damage.)
- An Half Breed Vampire does not sleep like most other creatures do, instead he falls into a four-hour fully aware sleep state (Reverie/Meditation). Consequently, he is able to remain active far longer than other races but unlike his Vampiric Parent, he still need to relax sometime.
- The Half Breed Vampire is partially undead and that results some bizarre anomalies you can be hit by critical blows however it must be a perfect 20 and it only deals 1.5 damage unless it is from a silver or magic/holy weapon yet your supernatural abilities make a sneak attack require you to be blinded. Negative energy heals you as though undead and positive energy heals you but both only by half.
Dark Heritage (Su): A half breed Vampire does not die as normal(Loss of blood,trauma etc). But if they are burned they will be destroyed but only if they would had received lethal fire damage (bringing them to -10 HP, they are still barely alive at 0 HP) They can also die from holy damage or anti-vampiric magic if it brings them to -10 HP. (Example : Been lit on fire thus receiving fire damage, fire magic, holy fire etc). They are also not immortal and can die of old age.
Lesser Blood Drain (Ex): A Half-breed can suck blood from a living victim with their fangs by making a successful grapple check. If the half-breed pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d6+str hit point damage each round to the victim.
Blood Dependency(Ex) : If a half-breed does not use its blood drain special attack against at least one living creature each week, it must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Each day after the first that the half-vampire does not drink blood directly from a living creature, the DC increases by 1 until it fails the save and becomes fatigued. After that, it must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each week (with the DC increasing by 1 each week thereafter) that it does not use its blood drain or become exhausted.
Unnatural Presence (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of the Half-Breed at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and become frightened if forced to do so; they remain frightened as long as they are within that range. In general, fey folk such as pixies, nymphs, etc… and other guardians of forests such as unicorns are intolerant of intelligent undead (as they often represent the worst of the unnatural). They are likely to drive the Half-Breed off but if the Half-Breed can prove it is genuinely not a threat then they will tolerate its existence. All encounters with fairy folk are made with a –5 penalty to Charisma checks and a –2 penalty on Diplomacy checks and the fairy folk are treated as being unfriendly towards the Half-Breed. If the Half-Breed successfully persuades the fairies that they are not a threat then the fairies will be treated as being indifferent towards the Half-Breed. Half-Breed may not train animals or have animal companions (with the exception of bats, rats, non-animal creatures (such as a magical beast or a fiendish/celestial creature).
Half Breed Vampire typical Weakness(Su):
- A Half-Breed senses are several times sharper than the living races. A Half-Breed is far more likely to detect a sent or see or hear something that would otherwise go unnoticed. Strong odors, such as garlic, will cause discomfort for an Half-Breed. While an Half-Breed may shy away from strong odors, they are not magically repelled by them and can pass through them as easily as anyone else (though they find garlic to be particularly intolerable). Odors that would normally adversely affect humans will be doubly as potent to Half-Breed. While they are vulnerable to Holy and fire, hey can move and act as normal on Holy Grounds but the Half-Breed will feel uncomfortable.
- Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds Half-Breed for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled for 1d4 rounds while they are adapting their vision.
- Half-Breed are also vulnerable to heartache, it is traditionally called “staking”, any object capable of dealing piercing damage can be used to stake an Half-Breed. An arrow, a spear, a sword, a chair leg carved to have a sharp end, a metal pole with a jagged/sharp end, etc… however, attempts to stake an Half-Breed must be made in a the space the Half-Breed occupies or an adjacent space, even if ranged weapons are being used.
Staking a Half-Breed during combat is a tricky business that is virtually impossible. It is far safer to stake an helpless Half-Breed, either while they are resting or have otherwise been made helpless; however, for the bold, or foolish, a fight does not make the Half-Breed heart unreachable. One can stake an Half-Breed during combat as a full-round-action. They must make a melee attack against the Half-Breed at a -5 circumstance penalty. The attack must deal at least twice as much damage as the Half-Breed damage reduction if it apply. If the staking is successful, the Half-Breed will be “staked”. It is important to remember that removing the stake allows the Half-Breed to act freely as normal if he was not helpless before the staking, so, if you use your weapon to stake the Half-Breed, it is advisable that you destroy the Half-Breed with Fire or Holy magic before removing your weapon.
Of course, it is infinitely safer to stake a Half-Breed while they are helpless. A stake attempt against an helpless Half-Breed automatically hits, though sufficient damage must still be dealt.
- They have a +5 bonus as half-vampires to turning resistance but will not die from a turn attack rather become paralyzed and if they do not feed once every month they will lose all racial bonuses, yet keep their weaknesses. An ability that would kill them (negative energy or death spell or instant death ability) will heal them 1/2 damage it would deal if the ability/spell is dealing damage if no damage, the spell/ability has no effect whatsoever.
- Select 2 vampiric abilities at first level.
Damage Reduction (Su): A Half Breed Vampire has Damage Reduction 5/(fire,magic,silver.)
Resistances (Ex): A half Breed Vampire has resistance to cold 5 and electricity 5 and weakness to fire of 5.
Fast Healing 3 (Su): A half Breed Vampire will heal 3 hp per round as long as it has at least 1 HP. If the half Vampire's hp reaches 0, they can no longer fast-heal and the Half-Breed become helpess. Damage caused by fire, magic, or holy magic takes twice as long to heal.(3hp/2rounds or 15hp/minute) May not regenerate limbs but may organs.
Spider Climb (Su): A Half Breed Vampire can climb as if using the spider climb spell.
Charming Gaze (Su) : A Half Breed Vampire can gain the trust of others with a sharp look. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a Will save of 17+CHA or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a charm person spell (caster level 9th). The ability has a range of 30 feet. If the attempt fails it is not usable on the same creature for 24-hours.
Children of the Night (Su) : Some Half Breed Vampire can command the lesser creatures of the world. Once per day, a half Breed Vampire that has this special attack can call forth 1d4 rat swarms, 1d3 bat swarms, or a pack of 1d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this ability might summon other creatures of equivalent power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the Half Breed for up to 1 hour.