Valkyr (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Valkyr are curious, nigh-angelic beings whom are direct descendants of the Æsir or the Vanir. Valkyr are very charismatic and confident creatures, however most of their personality traits are inherited from their descendants.
Descendants of the Æsir are typically brave, courageous and just. Descendants of the Vanir tend to be cunning, perceptive, impish and alluring.
Compared to the average human, Valkyr are typically very large, at times reaching 7 feet with a very muscular, yet slim framework. Valkyr are often viewed as nigh-angelic beings, this is primarily due to their unique swan-like wings that develop as a Valkyr ages. A fully developed Æsir Valkyr has white wings which obtain a golden tint should the Valkyr follow a path similar to that of their descendant, a Vanir Valkyr's wings develop depending on their moral compass - Should they follow a righteous pass their wings will a whitest white, should they follow their intended path of darkness however, their wings slowly darken (or lighten) and will at one point become pure black, colourless, should this occur the Vanir Valkyr's wings can and will never become lighter.
Valkyr are so distinguishable, even a local tramp will recognize them - Glacier blue eyes with platinum-white hair, a chiseled jaw and slightly longer ears than humans, but shorter than that of the average Elf.
Due to their longer life-span, Valkyr typically reach childhood at the age of 20, teenagehood at 30, adulthood at 40 and elderhood at 80. The oldest recorded age for the Valkyr is 174. Though at this age the body is hardly functional. Most Valkyr live to 100 and few make it past 130.
As a rare and reclusive race, many other races view the Valkyr with suspicion and skepticism. These views of animosity are either dismissed or reinforced once they learn about the lineage of said Valkyr. Though one thing is for certain, all view the Valkyr with a certain astonishment and awe.
Valkyr are typically Lawful or Chaotic, however should a Valkyr abandon their lineage - removal of their wings is a mandatory step - they are able to follow an opposite path than that which was intended for them or, should they prefer, may become neutral.
Valkyr have no preference or dislike for any certain environment, though they admire those that value the improvement and progression of a civilization. Places with farms and a thriving economy they feel more at home with.
Valkyr, though they pay their respects to the elements, value knowledge and wisdom more than any single god. However are more inclined to follow the teachings of a god of war.
Taught reading and writing at a very young age, Valkyr have a knack for learning languages quickly. All Valkyr are proficient in the common tongue, and are taught the basics of the primordial languages during childhood. The Æsir pass down their knowledge of the celestial language to their young, while the Vanir pass down their understanding of the abyssal language.
Valkyrian names are given by the mother and father and are often related to old Norse mythology or the elements.
- +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity, -1 Constitution:
- Monstrous Humanoid: While they are humanoids, their wings and slightly larger build separates them from normal humanoids.
- Valkyr base land speed is 30ft.
- Soar (Ex): At 5 HD a Valkyr grows their first pair of wings which provide a +10 racial bonus on their jump checks due to the lift gained from their wings. Furthermore, a Valkyr can use his wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of travel for every 5 feet of descent. Valkyr can not fly, but can however glide at a speed of 40ft. (Average maneuverability). Even if a Valkyr's maneuverability improves, he can't hover while gliding. A Valkyr can't glide while carrying a heavy load.
If a Valkyr becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, his wings unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Valkyr descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
- Thor's Gift: Valkyr may treat exotic hammers as martial weapons instead. Valkyr are also automatically proficient with all simple and martial hammers.
- Darkvision out to 60ft.
- Wondrous Being: +4 Racial bonus on all Bluff and Diplomacy checks; -4 Racial Bonus on all Disguise and Escape Artist checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Celestial OR Abyssal Bonus Languages: Auran, Terran, Ignan, Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Paladin or Cleric
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|65 years||80 years||110 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 6"||+1d20||128 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||6' 1"||+1d20||117 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|