Unliving Savant (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
An Unliving Savant gave up his life to become immortel through unlife not for power but to have time to gather knowlege. Gathering knowlege is his main goal in life. While he can learn almost any spell he cannot use them all to well, because unlike other spellcaster he usues his own and only his own power to cast his spells. To fight he uses in addition to his limited magical powers, his servants. With these servants he makes contracts that grants those certain special powers in exchange for serving theire master for life. Because of his weak body and his weakness to light the unliving savant would be helpless otherwise. Useally other class that value the natural order, especially the circle of life and death, dislike the unliving savant. The unliving savant on the other hand tries to avoid contact with classes that specialize in positive energy magic.
Making an Unliving Savant
In a fight an Unliving Savant is rather helpless by himself and he can't work to well with others exept his servants.
Abilities: Intelligence is the most important just like for the Wizard, it decides the number of bonus spells and the power of many spells. Dexterity and Constitution are also important.
Races: Humans are the most suitalbe race since they are naturally curiuos and thirsty for knowlege nad often are noculant towards death.
Starting Age: Simple
Special: The Unliving Savant class cannot be mixed with any other class.
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Unlive Traits, Death Aura, Necrotic Touch||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+1||+1||+1||+4||Bonus Feat, Servant Contract, Privat Room, Necrotic Ray||3||3||2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+1||+2||+1||+4||Negativ Energy Blast||3||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+ 1||+2||+2||+5||Mind Link||3||3||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||+2||+3||+3||+6||Bonus Feat, Necrotiv Blast||3||3||3||3||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|16th||+5||+6||+6||+10||Bonus Feat, Servant Contract||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||3||2||—|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Unliving Savant.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: no Proficiencies.
Spells: A unliving savant casts spells using power drawn from himself. He can learn virtually any spell exept ligtht- and positiv energy- related spells. The spell level is same as the lowest possible of any other class that can use this spell, exept spell of the necromancy-school, he can use those as if they were 2 spell level lower. He doesn't need spellcomponents to cast a spell.
The unliving savant must learn his spell before he can use them. He can learn them by studying scroll with that spell or from another caster. To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the unliving savant must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. Learning a spell takes 1 hour + 1hour/spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a unliving savant’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the unliving savant’s Intelligence modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a unliving savant can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Unliving Savant. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score.
Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a unliving savant may know any number of spells. Like a sorcerer a unliving savant need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
Unliving Traits: The unliving savant gains many traits that make him similiar to an undead but he still isn't considerd undead. He is still considerd his original race. From now on the unliving savant doesn't age anymore. He doesn't need to breath or eat, though he still needs to drink and sleep. He now is immun to natural poisen, diseases, |ennergy drain, paralyzing, ability damage, exhaustion, fatigue and death-effects. Cold and hot weather doeesn't have negative effects anymore. The most important change is that he now is healed by negative energy, the opposite oh positive energy, which now damages him instead. Light becomes also dangerous now, direckt sunlight deals 1d6 light damage/min. That can be avoided by closing that covers the entire body. Other lightbased damage is doubled. Darkness and light themself become reversed for the unliving savant, meaning he can see perfekly fine in natural and magical darkness but is almost blind in bright light, he can only see dimly in a 5ft. distance. Seeing in shadowy illumination doesn't change. Effects like darkvision and true seeing don't help here. Strenth and Dexterity of the unliving savant are reduced to 6 and Constitution to 10 , unless they are already lower or on this level. Removed points can be added to the other ability-scores, but no more than 4 points on a single ability.
Death Aura: Death Aura is a spelllike ability that can be aktivated instantaneously at will without any spellcomponents, by giving up one spell of the highest spell level available at the current level. Around the caster appears a darkgreen, shadowy 5-ft.-radius(+ 5 ft./ 5 caster level) sphere of negative energy, hitting everything inside for 1d6 + 1d6/2 caster level (maximum 5d6) negative energy damage/1 round. The caster and non-hostiles are only hit for 1d6 negative energy damage/1 round. The aura lasts for 1 min/caster level. A saving throw Reflex halves the damage. spell resistance doesn't apply.
Necrotic Touch: A touch from your hand, which glows with green energy, channels negative energy that deals 1d6 + 1d6/3 level (maximum 3d6)+ 3 points of damage. You can use this melee touch attack every 1d6 rounds, by sacrifising 5 health points.
Bonus Feats: Possible bonus feats are:
- Any metamagic feat aslong as the unliving savant meets all prerequisites.
- "Cold Resistance" : - You gain a cold resistance of 10 points.
- "Shroud of the Zombie": - The unliving savant gains a zombie-like trait, granting him a damage resistance 5/slash.
- "6th Sense": - Within 30 feet around the character he is able to sense the presense of magic and life. He can tell the average location and he can tell people he knows apart, but nothing else.
- "Cold Immunity": - requires "Cold Resistance" and level 12 - You gain immunity to cold damage, but all fire damage taken gets doubled.
- "Superior Death Aura": - requires level 12 - By sacrifising one of the available spells of each spell level, the death aura becomes more powerful. From now on death aura remains activ permanently. It can be retracted and expanded at will in every individuelly. If it fully retracted, it only effects the body of the caster. The maximum damage is increased to 8d6.
- "Shroud of the Vampire": - requires level 4 and "Shroud of the Zombie" - Any sussesful melee attack now drains the target for 1d6 life points, which are added to your life as tempory hit points.
- "Shroud of the Wraith": - requires level 8 and "Shroud of the Zombie" - You gain the ability to levitate up to 5 ft. above any surface. This levitation can activated and deactivated at will, before and after moving. While levitating your movement speed is in creased by 20 ft. (4 squares). And it gives you the ability to become completly invisible while moving, until you stop moving, 3 time/day . During that time you are able to move through any solid object that are thiner than 3 ft., like doors, walls, opponents or free yourself from a grab.
- "Light Resisitance" - You gain a resistance against light. "Light Resistance" can be taken multiple times.
Necrotic Ray: A ray of negativ ennergy from your fingertips.You need to succeed a ranged touch attack against your target to deal 1d4 points of negativ energy damage per 2 caster level (maximum 8d4). It has a range of 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 caster level and can be used every 1d6 + 1 rounds and costs you 10 hit points.