The Staff of Ea (5e Equipment)
From D&D Wiki
|Work In Progress|
Wondrous Item (Staff), Artifact (Requires Attunement)
The Staff of Ea–also known as The Staff of Ways or The Singularity Staff–is the culmination of the life work of the Foreclaimer Hybrid known as Ea the Mad. It was his magnum opus, designed as a way to spread the influence of The Void across the many planes. It is the combination of his work with both Void Runes and Void Crystals, allowing it to access to powers many would find unimaginable. Though it has no sentience, its runes give it a sort of intelligence and basic locomotion, letting it access The Void to move through space and time to whoever meets its criteria and is worthy of its power. Though it began with very little of its own power, it can only get stronger with time, moving throughout creation as a self-contained singularity of infinite potential.
For creatures who are not a Foreclaimer, Foreclaimer Hybrid, or a Tortle, to attune to The Staff of Ea, you must spend a long rest focused only on it while being in physical contact with it. This focus must take the form of meditation. If this meditation is interrupted, the attunement attempt fails. Otherwise, at the end of the long rest, you will become Attuned to it, and gain an intuitive understanding of how to activate all magical properties of the item.
For creatures who are a Foreclaimer, Foreclaimer Hybrid, or a Tortle, to attune to The Staff of Ea, you must spend a short rest focused only on it while being in physical contact with it. This focus must take the form of meditation. If this meditation is interrupted, the attunement attempt fails. Otherwise, at the end of the short rest, you will become Attuned to it, and gain an intuitive understanding of how to activate all magical properties of the item.
To be able to attune to The Staff of Ea, you must meet no less than two of the following prerequisites:
- Be one of the following races:
- Have at least one of the following classes:
When Not Attuned
If you are not attuned to The Staff of Ea, you will gain none of its magical benefits, whether or not it is Linked. Instead, it will vibrate lightly in your hands, and you will feel its distaste in you.
If you are attuned to The Staff of Ea, you will then be able to activate it, not only gaining access to its held spells and the power of the linked staffhead, but also its innate properties. You will feel its pride in you whenever you use it.
The Staff of Ea, in all of its power, is still limited. All of its magical benefits and held spells are connected to two specialized Void Crystal embedded into each of its ends, which are extremely overtaxed with all that they must do. This means that they themselves cannot form the connection to The Void required to activate their magic, and instead, they must connect to one of many Staffheads, which themselves have a Void Crystal that can connect to The Void to power the magic of the staff and the Staffhead itself. To connect to a staffhead, you need only say its name whilst holding the staff in one hand and the staffhead in the other. To disconnect the staffhead, only need to will it. The Staff of Ea can only connect to one staffhead at a time.
Powers and Properties
The Staff of Ea's innate powers/properties can be activated/are active whether it is Unlinked or Linked.
- Vorpal Pommel. When performing a melee attack with the Void Crystal at the bottom of the staff specifically, The Staff of Ea will deal 3d4 Slashing Damage and function the same as a vorpal sword.
- Infinite Recall. As a bonus action, you may psychically bring The Staff of Ea to you with a maximum flight speed of 90. There is no limit to the range of this recall, and it will harmlessly phase through obstacles in its path.
- Empty Head. You can store any staffhead in an infinite nondimensional space. You can then, as a bonus action, either take out one stored staffhead or replace the one already out.
- Strange Scent. It can, for you and you alone, emanate either the smell of a lonely walk on an empty beach, or the smell of a good book read by a cold fire.
- Immutable Visage. The Staff of Ea cannot be broken by any being less divine than a Lesser Deity.
When it isn't connected to a staffhead, The Staff of Ea will become Unlinked, becoming smaller and not being able to use its held spells. But there are two properties available only when it is Unlinked:
When it is connected to a staffhead, The Staff of Ea will become Linked, becoming larger and regaining the ability to use its held spells, as well as gaining two properties available only when it is Linked:
- Excessed Form. When held in your main hand, you gain +2 AC.
- Major Form. When held in your main hand, you gain advantage to intimidation checks.
The main feature of The Staff of Ea, the culmination of Ea's life of work, is its ability to harness the souls of its past bearers and use them to cast associated spells.
- While this can certainly be romantic, friendships, partnerships, and them being in your debt are also valid possibilities. If you are a Warlock, your patronage does not count for this.
- When you replace a staffhead, you instantly disconnect the stored one and connect the one brought out without needing to say its name.