Talk:Spirit Bomb (3.5e Spell)
From D&D Wiki
Because the Ki Master already has a spell list on its class page it really should not also have one on Complex Special Ability Components. So, because these spells will only be linked to from the Ki Master, I am wondering if they could be made not only for the Ki Master. For example, does the Ki Master spell levels transfer to the Sorcerer/Wizard spell levels? If so, could they be made to be both Ki Master and Sorcerer/Wizard spells? This also applies to all spells that were just made specifically for the Ki Master... --Green Dragon 17:46, 17 September 2007 (MDT)
- It IS a problem. I was debating it, as for purposes of flavor, I didn't want any old sorcerer to have a Kamehameha Wave or the like. They are equivalent to arcane sor/wiz spells though for all game purposes. It may be the sleep but I'm not entirely clear on your suggestion. Are you saying I could just make it accessible to Ki Master & Sor/Wiz, and link appropriately? Or that I can keep it Ki Master only but link it under a sor/wiz arcane spell?
- I did notice for the various categories of spells are are a few odd ones I think are just homebrewed entirely (Devil Lore spells for example). I could try giving them like some "Ki Blast" subtype and stick them all in a new category too.
- Whatever the answer, you may do it or I'll do it in the morning tomorrow. -- Eiji 02:40, 18 September 2007 (MDT)
- Sorry if I was confusing. The issue is that if these spells are made just Ki Master spells then they will not be linked to from Complex Special Ability Components even though they are homebrew spells. Is it a huge issue? No. Does it really matter? No. All I am saying is that I think it would be nice if these spells were to find a home on Complex Special Ability Components as well as on the Ki Masters spell list. So, your call. Should a sorcerer or wizard be able to cast these spells? If so, add them to the sorcerer/wizard spell lists. If not change the "Back to" footer to make it go back to just the Ki Master, fix the categories, and everything should be okay. I hope this reply was also not confusing... :P. --Green Dragon 18:55, 18 September 2007 (MDT)
- No problem. I think I'll opt to just make them Ki Master only. Although I haven't looked into other classes to much, maybe if there are hexblade only or other-only classes with a more martial bent than your classic wiz, I'll consider it. Thanks for the aid.
- (Ah, and I just noticed they DO appear under the magic school areas regardless of them not being in with a normal class. Such as DnD Evocation Spells, Kamehameha Wave's there. Goodies!)-- Eiji 23:16, 18 September 2007 (MDT)
- You are correct, they do (of course :)) appear under the other areas for spells. Anyway, as soon as you make up your mind as to what other class you would want the Ki Master spells to be available to please tell me here :). Thanks. --Green Dragon 22:45, 9 October 2007 (MDT)
I think the damage cap for this spell is abit high. According to the DMG, damage cap for 9th level spells should be 25 dice. And I think it should really be 1D6 (or 1D8 as you have to hold it for several rounds to cast it) per caster level, rather than 2D6/caster level. --Sam Kay 12:18, 8 October 2007 (MDT)
- That is is, and part of my trouble. I didn't want it to be epic, yet the spell itself is practically epic in itself. I figured I could bust the damage cap of 9th level by applying heavy downsides to it, namely the minute casting time and constant Concentration checks.
- Rather than lower the damage it could do, if you think it would be fair, I don't mind slapping more penalties on there to make it as rarely castable as one can get. I've been thinking of applying Con damage like I did with Kaioken. -- Eiji 21:48, 8 October 2007 (MDT)
- Just lower the damage cap to 25, and make it D8/level; still damaging. It would still be worth having. I think giving penalties wouldn't work for that much damage. You could make tha damage dice D12; been as though you have to hold it for a while, then you could do 25D12 --Sam Kay 09:07, 10 October 2007 (MDT)
- Also, the casting time is incorrect. It should be 4 episodes. -- Flession 11:14, 12 October 2007 (MDT)
- 4 episodes? What? Am I missing something...? --Green Dragon 20:15, 14 October 2007 (MDT)
- Oh, okay. It was not just a mistake or something really weird. --Green Dragon 22:49, 15 October 2007 (MDT)