Talk:Kendo Blade (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Base or Prestige?
I was thinking about making this class a base class. Do you think i should keep it as a pristeige? ==Alabastor 07:43, 18 May 2007 (MDT)
- What should really determine if a class is a PrC or a base class is how specialized it is. A PrC should fulfill one function, such as the cerebremancer's use is to merge arcane and psionic magics, whereas a base class should be able to go in almost any direction, like how the fighter fills out the roll of "combat-guy", which is very general. What you need to ask yourself is "How specialized is this class? Do I want it more specialized? Do I want it less specialized?" Once you have answered these you should be able to figure out if it is a good candidate for a base class or not. Just my 2 cents. --Green Dragon 00:54, 1 June 2007 (MDT)
- It looks to me like a monk with a bit more emphasis on the martial side of monkhood (hitting things with weapons) and a bit less on the other abilities (hitting things with your hands). Personally, I'd make it a good BAB progression (+1 per level), like the other martial classes, but that's just my opinion... I'd leave it as a prestige class, though, because otherwise it'd just look like a monk. As it is, it represents well the people who come to the path of the monk later in their lives after travelling the path of the Warior for some time...MorkaisChosen 02:33, 1 June 2007 (MDT)
- I was considering the BAB progressions, and i decided on a 3/4 because it was more monk-like. And i wasnt quite positive if this class was focused enough for PrC. I'm going to leave it as a PrC. ==Alabastor 06:30, 4 June 2007 (MDT)
Powerful... Rating - 3/10
Stressing that. Extremely powerful. I mean, the class sounds extremely fun to play, but quite fundamentally flawed in terms of Extreme Overpower.
1. The Stances. Most of these don't make a lot of sense and aren't really balanced. Leopard Stance giving a +4 Bonus to Dex, +1 Bonus to AC, and the effect of Flurry of Blows is on the excessive side IMO. My reasoning is this. At the earilest, you can become one at your 11th level. At that point, the starting volume of money is quite a nice sum, but most DMs wouldn't let you buy an item that gives you a +4 Bonus to any stat at that level. It allows characters to become too strong too fast. A DM that requires approval for classes would very likely not accept this class for that reason. They might use it for NPCs and enemies, but never allow the PCs to use it.
2. Clarification is needed with Dragon Stance. a +4 Str bonus and a +2 to attack basically says "+2 to all damage and +4 to all attacks". Is this what you mean?
3. Slice the Air is extremely powerful. I'd expect to see something like that from a God as a special power on a weapon. A strong Melee character (such as a Samurai[Rokugon]/Master Samurai) could so easily break this skill. I'd say 1/week for Full Attack for Master and 2/day with one attack at Improved. It's really too strong.
4. Blade of Light is a lot stronger than Brilliant Energy which does the same thing. Reason is that Blade of Light can damage Undead, where Brilliant Energy cannot. I think this should become "All weapons used are considered Brilliant Energy", either that, nor you need to but a limitation on it. Brilliant Energy is a great ability, but Blade of Light is so much stronger than that. It makes the ability too good.
That's all my issues with the class. Still, I have to admit this would be fun to play as is, but I don't consider it a fair class. For balance, 3/10. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs)11:19, 15 June 2007 (MDT). Please sign your posts.
Rating - 2/10
I give this class a Rating of 2/10 for Power Balance, as it is widely overpowered. Problems are:
- The stances are not restricted. It looks like they can be used at will and they have unlimited duration. It doesn't even rule out activating several stances at once.
- Level 1 gives much too much. At 8th level, pretty much any Rogue, Monk and Bard (!) can jump into Kendo Blade to gain +4 Dex +1 AC, Flurry of Blows, Wis to AC, and either +10 ft. movement or +Int to attack. Whow. That beats pretty much any Prestige Class one-level dip out there. By a margin.
- The Basic skills alone are very powerful, but the class receives them in addition to other stuff on level 1, 5 and 9. That's too much.
- The Basic Skills differ widely in usefulness
- Abundant Step is gained way too early, check at what monk level you can have that compared to Rogue 7 / Kendo Blade 1
- Slice the Air: Does not state what kind of action it is. I suggest full-round action.
- Cry of the Gods: does not state the bonus type for attack and damage bonus
- Swift feet: gets scary in combination with the already high monk movement rate
- Ki strike: does not state what kind of attacks are meant. Attacks with any weapon wielded? Attacks with natural weapons? Unarmed attacks?
- Parry: Should only be availabe once, like all other basic skills. The PRC already has too many other AC boni.
- Fight the Mind: Just NO. I know little munchkins just drool over "add Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha" to attacks, but this class should not have it and does not need it
- Turtle Stance: That one can match a dwarven defender, that means it's too good.
- Improved Skills:
- Abundant Strike: Nice idea, but the type of action is not stated. This power alone is good enough to be the capstone ability of a 5-level PrC
- Slice the Air, Improved Cry of the Gods, Blades of Law: Same stuff unclear as above.
- Mirrored self: This one is actually nice.
- Dragon Stance: WHOA. No way. This one is as good as the Mighty Rage of the Barbarian, a Level 20 (!) ability.
- Master Skills: Whow. These are pretty insane, especially Abundant Strike, Final, Form of the Gods and and Rain of Blades. For an Epic Prestige Class, okay, but at ECL 17?
All in all, the class needs a heavy, heavy nerf.
- Raise Prerequisites so that no entry is possible before level 11, and add Monk stuff like Evasion.
- Clear up everything that says "unclear" or "not stated" above.
- Give only one ability per level
- Limit the stances, either per encounter, or per day, give maximum duration, make clear that only one stance can be active at any time, and reduce their power.
- Remove the master skills, they're insane.
- All in all, the class should get 4 basic skills at levels 2-5, two improved skills at lvl 7-8, one greater skill at lvl 10, and 3 stances at levels 1, 6 and 9.--Mkill 13:11, 15 June 2007 (MDT)
Power - 4.8/5 I give this class a <<<4.8>>> out of 5 because <<<Kudos to you my friend. Creative, intelligent, decently balanced attacks.>>> --22.214.171.124 13:58, 18 December 2009 (MST)
Wording - 4.5/5 I give this class a 4.5 out of 5 because I wouldn't throw it into an essay competition, but not bad at all. --126.96.36.199 13:58, 18 December 2009 (MST)
Flavor - <<<5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<5>>> out of 5 because <<<Absolutely stunning, I wouldnt change a thing. Kudos again.>>> --188.8.131.52 13:58, 18 December 2009 (MST)
Power - <<<4.5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<4.5>>> out of 5 because <<<it is a truly excellent prestige class. Cool abilities, well balanced, obviously well thought out. Kudos.>>> --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts.
Wording - <<<4.5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<4.5>>> out of 5 because <<<it has excellent wording, only minor spelling errors>>> --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts.
Formatting - <<<4>>>/5 I give this class a <<<4>>> out of 5 because <<<easy to follow, fairly standard formatting.>>> --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts.
Flavor - <<<5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<5>>> out of 5 because <<<truly a superb example of a prestige class. Others should model their classes after this one. Truly astounding, well done.>>> --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts.
Power - <<<3>>>/5 I give this class a <<<3>>> out of 5 because <<<It is indeed quite powerful of a class, however it does have some major power balance issues, b/c if it is combined with a rogue of about 10th level, it has power beyond that of many 30th level characters i have dealt with>>> --126.96.36.199 22:23, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
Wording - <<<5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<5>>> out of 5 because <<<this class has sufficiently explained many of its abilities and how they work.>>> --188.8.131.52 22:23, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
Formatting - <<<4>>>/5 I give this class a <<<4>>> out of 5 because <<<The class is decently formatted, but it needs some additions, such as playing the class in a campaign and perhaps adding an epic class table for this class.That would allow for the more powerful abilities to be moved there, and it would better balance the power output of this class.>>> --184.108.40.206 22:23, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
Flavor - <<<4.5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<4.5>>> out of 5 because <<<This class truly does have some unique spins and ideas behind it, but it seems to be lacking a class weakness. Its a little quirk of mine that every class must be vulnerable to something in order to fully bring out its flavor.>>> --220.127.116.11 22:23, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
These ratings provided by Vestrione Seshione from dungeons.wikia.com
Power - 4.5/5 I give this class a 4.5 out of 5 because the class is fairly well balanced, but it gets a bad BAB proggression even though its a martial class. Also, some of the abilities seem a little OP, but since most of them build off each other, its not too bad. --Azya 23:12, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
Wording - 3/5 I give this class a 3 out of 5 because there are many uses of 'you' in it, and it switches from talking about 'her' to talking directly to the reader. Example: A kendo Blade gains the ability to enter a certain stance, granting her certain bonuses in combat. Entering a stance is a free action that does not provoke an attack of opprotunity and can only be done on her turn. When you enter the turtle stance, you fight defensivly, giving you a +4 Con bonus, +4 parry bonus to AC, and DR 3/-. The you's should be changed into hers. It just makes it unprofessional. --Azya 23:12, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
Formatting - 4/5 I give this class a 4 out of 5 because several sections of the preload are lacking, and the abilities do not say whether they are extraordinary or supernatural, and they probably should. --Azya 23:12, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
Flavor - 5/5 I give this class a 5 out of 5 because it is a interesting and new in both abilities and function. --Azya 23:12, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
Kendo Blade rating and a better description on the class
Power - <<<4>>>/5 I give this class a <<<5>>> out of 5 because <<< master in accomplishing a one hit-kill. exellent >>> --18.104.22.168 02:58, 13 March 2012 (MDT)
Wording - <<<2>>>/5 I give this class a <<<2>>> out of 5 because <<<you could really improve the description of this prestige class by crarifing that a kendo blade is something between a samurai and a ronin, with the only difference that he is a blade master of the Katana or No- dachi sword(two hand katana) and the best at using a such sword, and only this weapon.>>> --22.214.171.124 02:58, 13 March 2012 (MDT)
Formatting - <<<2>>>/5 I give this class a <<<2>>> out of 5 because <<< you could include a picture of a kendo master blade. Note that the kendo blade does wear a padded armour which allows him to use his dexterity bonuses in advance.>>> --126.96.36.199 02:58, 13 March 2012 (MDT)
Flavor - <<<5>>>/5 I give this class a <<<5>>> out of 5 because <<>> --188.8.131.52 02:58, 13 March 2012 (MDT)