Splatoon Inklings (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Inklings can alternate between a humanoid form and a squid form. The humanoid form has a black coloration around their eyes that resembles a mask, pointed ears, and "hair" that resembles a squid's tentacles. They possess pointed teeth that appear to be similar to a squid's beak. The squid form resembles a brightly-colored cephalopod the same color as the inkling's "hair" with two pronounced tentacles and two large eyes that seem to be joined. Known colors for Inklings and their Ink include magenta, orange, yellow-orange, lime green, emerald, turquoise, blue, purple, red-orange, sky blue, light blue, yellow, cream, green, pastel green, and cyan. Known colors for Octarians include dark fuchsia, red, black, gold, turquoise, and orange. By the age of 14, Inklings gain complete control over both these forms and can change between humanoid and squid form at will. However, some Inklings are able to control both forms at much younger ages
Inklings evolved from squids after rising sea levels killed off the human race. They possess the sentience of humans, but lack bones. They frequently clash with another species known as Octarians.
Inklings are merry creatures, but they also have a dark side: they can be extremely competitive, to the point of killing each other just to prove they are better. Other races are often stunned when they see how cheap a life is to an Inkling.
Inkling mortal enemies are the Octarian. They get along well with all other races, but tend to prefer the company of Halflings, Gnomes and Humans.
Due to the odd and bizarre nature of their bodies, Inklings tend to be Chaotic.
Despite their squid-like appearance, Inklings hate water, since they start to melt when completely submerged. They usually live in their own villages and cities.
Inklings are not commonly religious, but those that are tend to worship deities with domains that focus on or are similar to combat or youth.
Inklings communicate in their racial language of Inkling, as well as Common.
An Inkling may choose a name from any race list, since they do not have an established style of naming. However, they tend to pick names that sound similar to names of aquatic organisms.
- +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength:Inkling bodies are really light, but frail, and will dissolve in water.
- Humanoid: They're squids, but also kids.
- Small creature
- Inkling base land speed is 20 feet. However, they have a 40 feet when swimming in same color Ink in Squid Form.
- Ink Gun (Ex): Inklings can shoot their Ink as a ranged weapon with range increment of 30 feet. When Ink is used on an Inkling of a different color, Ink deals 2d4 acid damage/half of sprayer's character level (minimum of 2d4). When used on other creatures, Ink deals 1d6 acid damage/half of sprayer's character level. Ink Gun is counted as a natural weapon, and is a two-handed
- Ink (Ex): An Inkling can spray Ink all over the ground using their Ink Gun. An Inkling can splatter (5 x Constitution modifier) squares before she has to refill her reserves. Inklings can fill their reserves simply by submerging themselves in Ink of their color, gaining five squares worth of Ink per round. When in Squid Form, an Inkling can freely swim through squares splattered with Ink as they were about five feet deep, regardless of the declivity of the surface, meaning Ink can be traveled in on both slanted surfaces and walls, up an incline of 90 degrees. Sprayed Ink disappears after 10 rounds, as it is eaten by microorganisms that evolved alongside Inklings to survive off of their Ink. When an Inkling moves on or through different-colored ink, the Inkling's speed is dropped to 10 feet, whether in Squid or Humanoid Form, and take 1d12 acid damage/half of sprayer's level every round. When any other creature moves over Ink, they take 2d4 acid damage/half of sprayer's character level. Creatures that are not Inklings may not swim inside of the Ink, as the 5 feet depth of the Ink only applies to Inklings swimming through Ink of the same color. An Inkling may not make any action other than swimming while submerged in Ink. Inklings may not be partially submerged while in Ink. Ink can never be splattered over glass, transparent materials or grates, and it instantaneously dissipates if comes in contact with such materials. Also, Ink cannot be layered upon another liquid surface, as it diffuses too quickly.
- Squid Form (Ex): This is not a spell-like ability, and it will work in an anti-magic field. As a free action, an Inkling may transform from their Humanoid form to their Squid Form. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Inklings can transform into a Squid Form only of the same color of their Ink. While in this form their terrestrial speed drops to 5 feet, but they gain a swim speed of 40 feet, a +2 bonus to AC, and a +2 bonus to their Reflex Save. They can only swim through Ink of their color. In Squid Form, an Inkling can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. and can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. Also, while in their own color Ink, an Inkling may attempt to make a Jump check. If this roll is successful, the Inkling jumps 5 feet into the air, and may jump into any square within 5 feet of the square the Inkling jumps out of, or jump over any square directly neighboring the square the Inkling jumped out of. Furthermore, while in Squid Form, both inside and outside of their own color Ink, an Inkling may travel through finely perforated surfaces, which includes grates, barred windows, filters, etc. Transforming from Squid Form to Humanoid Form requires a move action, and provokes an attack of opportunity.
- Water Vulnerability (Ex): Inklings biggest enemy (apart from Octarians) is water: when >2/3 of their body is fully submerged in water, their bodies will start to melt, and an Inkling will lose 1/3 of their maximum HP per round in true damage until reaching exactly 0 Hit Points and becoming unconscious. Upon becoming unconscious, one of two things will happen: 1) the Inkling takes 5 points of damage each round until they are at least stabilized with some source of healing. If stabilized at 0 Hit Points or less, the Inkling continues to take 5 points of true damage each round. If healed to above 0 Hit Points, the Inkling takes 1/3 of their maximum Hit Points per round in true damage until reaching exactly 0 Hit Points and becoming unconscious again. or 2) the Inkling takes another 5 points of true damage at -10 Hit Points and die.
- Inky Death (Ex): Upon taking critical damage, and dying, an Inkling's body will explode in a sphere of Ink with a radius of 10 feet. This Ink will persist for 3 rounds, both on the ground, or on other creatures. This Ink is more potent as it comes from the core of the Inkling, and deals 2d12 damage/half of sprayer's level each round to Inklings of other colors, and 1d20 damage/half of Inkling's character level each round to any other creature. The Ink may not be removed before it's 3 round expiration, and can only be avoided by full submersion in water, magical or otherwise.
- Boneless (Ex): Due to their lack of bones, Inklings have extremely heightened flexibility and extremely lowered durability. This high flexibility gives them a natural +2 bonus to rolls for Escape Artist, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks. This low durability gives them a natural -2 penalty to rolls for Climb, Concentration, Jump, and Ride checks. Although Inklings melt in water, since they are so well-adapted to swimming in Ink, they suffer no natural penalty on rolls to attempt a Swim check.
- Bio-luminescence (Ex): When in Humanoid form in non-magical darkness, Inklings give off their own source of light in a sphere around them that originates from their tentacle-like hair, with a radius of 5 feet. This light cannot be suppressed, but may be covered with many layers. This light vanishes immediately upon transformation into Squid Form
- Gains +8 bonus to Hide checks only when diving into Ink to be out of view. The Ink that is being dived into must be within 1 square per 5 ranks invested in Hide.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Inkling.
- Bonus Languages: Any language other than secret languages.
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||40 years||50 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+1d10||60 lb.||× 1d4 lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+1d10||60 lb.||× 1d4 lb.|